Help! Exaust pipe is constantly loose..

GoldenMotor.com

fistfulofsuss

Apr 6, 2009
Treasure Coast
Have tries lock washers and I cannot tighten the exaust pipe nor can I loosen the bolts, they turn and turn w/ out moving.. Any suggestions?? Do not have a gasket so I rigged one w/ cardboard, please help....

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Need a better explanation. They are 6mm studs that should be tight in the block. If you are trying to remove the nuts and they turn without coming off somewhere the threads are stripped.
Give us better details.

John

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
there not bolts ,there nuts.and they should come off or there stripped.
to keep nuts tight ,use 2 on each thread,the second one will keep the 1st one from loosening.
dont use cardboard for exhaust gasket.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do not use rubber for an exhaust gasket. It can't take the heat. While you're turning the nut can you see the stud (threaded part the nut is on) turning with the nut? If it is then the stud or the threads in the cylinder are stripped. If you own a pair of vice grips you might try pulling outward on the nut as you turn it. If all else fails a local mechanic, auto or motorcycle shop, might give you some help. Once the nuts/studs are out and if the threads are still good replace them with Allen head cap screws, available at Ace Hardware, They are 6mm diameter and about an inch long. Use gasket material made for exhaust systems, auto parts store item. You'll need to cut the gasket material to fit the exhaust flange. Use a hole or leather punch to make the holes for the bolts. Once everything is back together tighten the bolts just enough to flatten the lockwashers then just a little, very little, more. If in the worst case the threads in the cylinder are stripped they can be repaired with a device called a Heli-Coil thread repair kit. Installing them is not hard but requires a little understanding of the device and how it works. Good luck and get back to us if these suggestions don't help you.
Tom

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
From the sound of it: I think you need to remove the studs and use 6 mm allen bolts with red locite. If that fails, helicoil your cylinder. I remember having to locite every nut and bolt. That put an end to my HT motor falling apart everytime I took it out on a ride.
Good Luck