Will this engine work

GoldenMotor.com

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
I was planning on doing a custom build here
I had no idea there were so many guys this into this stuff, its sweet. Its a school project I am doing

I have a (what I think is 30cc) 2 stroke home-lite weedwhipper engine
If I tune up the carb a bit and get the right gear ratio, do you think I can get 30mph or 35mph? A kit just doesnt sound original to me, plus I am putting it on a bmx bike .bld.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I like the kits :) but.. i'm sure its possible. Although your not going to have much torque at all. If your building a bike to truely ride often, get a full size bike. I know of a few that have done it on a bmx bike. Just not the most comfortable ride.
Anyways, light bike, with the right gearing is possible to achieve 30 i'd say. Search around and welcome to the forum

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
yea, I might just buy a 50cc kit, I know it wont be the most comfortable ride but thats ok, I want to make sure I get plenty of torque, overall I want decent runner speed, If mine could cruise at 35 that would be great

in the bike berry 50cc, does it give you the correct sprockets for off the drive to get a good amount of torque?

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
What you want is kind of contridicting itself. You can get a good amount of torque with a large rear sprocket, but won't be able to cruise as high. Only way to get what you want is with a shifter kit. The standard sprocket the kits come with are satisfactory. I got the "80cc" kits off ebay and they work great. They're really only like 67cc i guess but i like them. i'v built 5 bikes so far and just a day over 15 :)

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
Haha, as you can tell I am a rookie with this stuff, I am into cars but I just started doing this for school TODAY

I want top speed overall, I have a 30cc weed wipper engine and I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out or whether I buy the kit

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
As long as you are enjoying yourself.

30cc will not likely get you to 30 mph, unless you weigh around 90 pounds, and use state of the art technology.

A 50cc engine kit will make it, maybe with a little luck. and set up right, a 70cc kit will definitely get you there.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I say get the 70cc in your case. Let me tell you i'm really into cars myself, but seeing as i can't drive for another year i got into these. Really fun, but for a first time build, i suggest the kit. What type of project are you doing in school for these? Wish i could get that lucky lol

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I put an "80"cc kit on a bike for a Tech English project earlier this year. Big deal right? After the teacher graded it and gave me an "A", he told me he was going to build one himself.

I think the weed whacker would work, but I agree with everyone else here, get the "80" cc. You'll have the speed you want, in my humble opinion.