locking up a coaster brake hub

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
It may be possible to convert it to fixed gear, but as far as using it as a drive sprocket, not a good idea for a couple reasons. One, the gearing would be extremely high, too tall to get any decent acceleration out of it. Two, you'd probably cook your bearings.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the only way i could think of is to remove the brake shoes and weld the sprocket driver to the hub itself.

there's nothing in the hub itself that will lock it up. one way turns the wheel, the other way stops it.

depending on what motor you're using, if it was right side drive you wouldn't have to change anything, but i'd still remove the brake shoes. if you heat it up enough, the spring in the brake cone could break, and that would either lock the wheel or just make it spin like a forward freewheel.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I decided it would be easier to just use the 20" wheel since it has all the spokes ill need to mount the rag joint. I suppose i could have ordered a large sprocket adapter, but it seems like too much work for a wheel that may not be able to hold up my weight by itself anyway, much less at 20-30 mph

so i ordered a 49cc kit from bgf and ive just about figured it out. Not sure what clever method ill used to mount it on the J frame. I was thinking of welding a plate and using some muffler hanger mounts to mount the plate onto the frame.

the next issue i think i will run into is the front fork. This bike is heavy steel but the fork is paper thin. Was looking at pirates for a replacement fork, maybe a springer fork with a big angle sloping away from the bike to lower the profile some.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Intresting would be KOOL turned upside down,but would need welding skills to make the changes.
I think it looks good the way he is doing it,get a regular BMX fork with the round tubes..........Curt