Vintage Whippet racer

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Paradise is in the eye of the beholder. One of my jobs was replacing septic systems in houses that heavy equipment couldn't get to because of the gardens ect.

After the tank was washed out, sort of, it was my job wiggle down through the pump out hole and break it up so it could be wheel barrowed out to the curb.

That is how I view paradise jobs.

Any photos of your young ladies bike as yet?

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ok maybe my job aint so bad, but hey work is what you make it.

My GF (Kellys) bike is in the Boardtrack and Vintage section "womens issues". Heres a peek where im up to.....

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks Fasteddy, "parardise" maybe a little overboard but it does have its moments and beats an office job.

Curtis i never realised you can weld Stainless with a mig, even if it will rust. I will have to try this...... or maybe price that stainless wire, i wouldnt imagine it would be cheap but may be worth it just because its easier for me to find stainless at work then it is to find normal steel.

We have an unbelievable amount of stainless steel piping (sized from the very small to extrememly large) throughout the mill...... maybe a stainless steel bike is in my future. Louie McCanns "Pierce" clone was pretty damn awesome!!!!!!!!

My welder is just a gasless mig welder i got a couple months back. I bought it with the intention of only using it for tacking while mocking up, but ive since used it to do all my welding.

I don't know if they have wire for gasless welder or not I converted mine to gas and run I think it 308 stanless wire. Go to a regular welding supply and ask,see what you can come up with.............Curt

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
OK..... i bought a coaster brake hub for this bike, so i may go to the bike shop tommorrow to order the new spokes so i can relace the rear wheel. And if i get a chance i may go and see about getting some stickers made up fot this bike.

Ive also decided i will just buy one of those aftermarket (cant remember maker... Kings??) alloy sprockets. And i figure if this IS a "racer" it needs to go fast....... so whats a good size rear sprocket?

I want a fairly decent MPH and dont mind pedalling a little to get off the line, and this is light so that shouldnt be an issue.

I havent really "played" with these motors yet, so any advice would be appreciated.... cheers

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ok i sorta stuffed up. I bought a coaster hub that was meant for my Briggs build but then i decided to save time and use the wheels from my Indian build, anyway i just thought i could use it on this build but forgot about the spoke count. Just went and checked and i have a 36 hole hub and 32 hole rim :-(

No biggie, i wil use the hub in future builds, but now what do i do? I cant seem to find a 32 hole coaster brake for sale (cheaply). SO now i need to either find a 32 hole coaster hub or a 36 hole similar 700cc rim and build a back wheel.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I got some stickers for the bike, but im not sure i like them. I might just give it a week and if they dont grow on me or then i might redo them. Different lettering (older style) and maybe a little smaller.

What do you guys think?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Wow man, that is a true beauty, I hope it last long! That is something to be proud of, and the stickers look great!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I wasnt happy with the stickers, so i thought id try and improve them. If i stuffed up id just start again. So i added some gold shading. I think its an improvement