want to build a boardie

GoldenMotor.com

jeepinjakear15

May 16, 2011
Moses Lake/CheneySpokane, WA
I have lurked for a while and then got discouraged till i saw pirate cycles a
the worksman in frame tank. I am a fabricator some what but a tank builder not so sure this seems like a good option. but what is the best way to go this style of board tracker with 49cc that is safe and streetable and most of all looks the part of being old. I understand that most bike motors dont look very vintage but i can look past the motor for reliability. Any help? like a motor kit, frame handlebars, assorted parts. what is economical but not crap?

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yo Jeep,

I think I consider myself to be somewhat of a lurker too. there are some really cool builds on this forum and it makes the mind boggle a bit. I have saved up a little dough, need a little more, but I guess it all depends on what you want.

The pirate deal is a good one, and from what I read here and see in pics, Pat (sportscarpat) does awesome work. I don't think you could go wrong with one of his tanks, ready fit for the worksman, and the oil bag is great for hiding 'lectrics.

Of course, you can go full on sportman flyer and get a complete kit from pat, i would contact him directly for pricing.

If you want to stay a bit simple, here was a thought I was kicking around...

Get the pirate deal with the springer fork and spring for some white or beige tires
Get a tank and oil bag from pirate or pat, same thing really i guess
Get an engine setup from Rock Solid Engines in OZ. The basically pimp these engines out performance wise and have a cool flat head that gives the engine a more vintage look. The stage two with performance carb, bigger cylinder, piston, etc will run ya about 500 bones...a bit steep but sounds like it could haul.

Then it is just a matter of adding other doodads you can read about on the site...
Brass air covers, brass lines for fuel, dynamo front hub to power lights, vintage knockoff taillite, fenders, blah blah blah...

I had almost two grand saved to start mine, but the wife convinced me that going to Hawaii was a better decision...oh well...I still have to finish off my 69 cb450 twin project, just finished the wiring this weekend, now the lights and the horn work. I am considering selling this and going the boardie route...things that make you go hmmmmm

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
If you plan on going the happy time rout, I'd go with the 66cc. I had a 49 and a 66, and I'll never go back to the 49cc. I'm 200 lbs and the 49cc barely pulled me up a hill with the 44 tooth sprocket. It toped out at 29 mph. I'm currently running a 40 tooth on my 66.
It goes 25mph up hills and 35 on the flats.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
that rock solid kit comes with a 70cc big bore and ceramic coated piston, also is ported and the head is supposed to flow better. comes with a 22mm carb i believe so it should put out more horsey's.

Honestly i am sold on going the HF engine route, i bought one a couple weeks ago. the 1911 indian thread and the thumper thread have really got me going, but i don't want to rush into anything until I am sure the direction.

I keep thinking that i should start with a worksman retro setup, since it is fully lugged and has the really tough rims and tires. I am 250, the motor is 36 lbs dry, i could see passing 300 easy, so a sturdy bike is much needed.

If i chop it and stretch it myself, i will need to get a welder and a hand bandsaw. thinking of going the HF route there too...

the issue i can see though is that to get the HF clone engine to fit I will have to stretch the middle (i think) which would mean that pat's tank would not fit and I would also need to fab a tank myself...yikes. never done that before.