RiverSide Build

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have run them with out any thing bolted to the side of the engine and it turned around 5K RPM. with a proper muffler, the same. This "muffler thing" or MT, lol. Does not expand and contract as I hoped. It just muffles the noise. Does really well. The original muffler set up (meant to run at 3,800 RPM) does some crazy turns and I also thought it would need some back pressure. Seemingly, it does not. With only a st8 pipe, sounds cool! But megga loud at max speed. Ridder can not hear it but your friends and neighbors let ya know. My silly arrangement works rather well. The sound is a throaty, 4 stroke sound. My next experiment will be the curved pipe that ends under the engine. Then heater hose. The engine runs amazingly cool. I have run it with and with out the tin cooling shroud. I will get exact temps soon. Will test with and with out then remove the cooling system altogether to test. (Part of the need for an Axillary starting system) The manifold temp hovers around 325F but it is fall here and have the cooling system fully intact, shroud and all.

. But truth be told, an $8 ace hardware lawn mower muffler would work just fine
One of my goals is to make the whole drive train independent of the bicycle other then mounting, chain and drive sprocket. Including an eventual chain tensioner affixed to the engine mount and not the bike or chain stay.

Goal being you could remove the chain and put this power plant/drive train on another bicycle by removing 4 nuts. ....and apparently travel far and wide fixing clogged drainage pipes.

Expressing experiences but not intended as advise. "dan" is a wholy owned subsidiary of a limited liability corporation consisting of holdings worth less then it would cost to sue or curse me for giving bum advise.

Oh! just met a guy who has a 1950 Schwinn cruiser hanging up in his garage! homina, homina! Might be next build

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Went for a long ride. Newly trued wheel. Freshly coated tank and clean carb. I should have put the clip on the chain as it would have made the ride much longer, snork. After going back finding my drive chain. Pedaling home to re-attach it and ridding off again. It dawned on me, SB can't watch internet vids. DouH! Here it is any way. Is carp-cel-cam fone vid but is about how it sounds....

RiverSide :: whisper drive/HF Engine/clog-Free muffler video by dan3xd - Photobucket

I really love the old world, chitty-chitty bang-bang sound of the engine. Just old school Motor-bike! If I told you how much time and money I spent on the sound of these things, you would tell me I'm in the right place.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just chronicling some stuff
Manifold temp: 500F at ambient temp of 73F Next day, same at ambient temp of 63F
At down tube, 86. At BB 76. Hosing will work fine.
Reduced rear vibration problem by removing rack. Helped greatly. Still have to secure exhuast pipe but like the look of the bike with out. Bike still has rear vibration.

RiverSide :: 1027001548.mp4 video by dan3xd - Photobucket

This pic is of the GPS proving I am going all most 2 MPH in the garage and not moving. (note to self, replace speedo batt) but like the sound at 1300 rpm.

Was raining but muffler did not restrict enough to effect top end, Still around 33. Need 35 and will go from 56 rear sprocket to 50. (N2S, might want to go higher if low end does not suffer)

LOL, the grease on my thumb made a black ring on the clutch in vid.

Think I am gonna keep the bob-tail look.

Today was dry and cool which the HF seems to like best. Wee bit better RPM and top end, but not much. About the same b4 the blowbag muffler. Even in failure of making the sound I was after, it is a success as a muffler. But need to secure the leaks at the manifold b4 coming to any final conclusions. Unsecured, it also adds greatly to rear vibration

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
build log;

My test chain had 3 master links and one half. (is used to swap around different builds in various stages of deconstruction. pre-stretched) Removed half link. Lowered engine to accommodate the now to short chain. Cut off some of muffler pipe. Toyed with welding pipe and flange, but need more practice. Drilled weep hole in pipe. After welding most of pipe, lost 1K RPM. Need to widen hole in blow bag or use a real muffler. hehe, gonna go with the larger hole of course. Well, try both. I made it thread on/off

Pics are b4 and after shortening pipe.

Blowbag muffler vid (for sound. Vid is by cell phone and not good) RiverSide :: whisper drive/HF Engine/clog-Free muffler video by dan3xd - Photobucket[/QUOTE]

Had an awesome Sunday with her. Just sort of dusted and cleaned her up. Got a garden hose splitter so as to try both a real muffler vs the blow bag. Is amazing how much quieter the blow bag is. With the splitter, can open both outlets for free exhaust and partial muffle or go full muffler. Second pic is just muffler run st8 from pipe.

EMT/conduit, plumbing and hose parts work awesome for this mix an' matching. On and off by hand.

Exhaust does not seem to excite or scare dogs or rodents.

12/4/10

Installed winter air filter cover. Instead of chicken wire or solid stock, it is the stock cover with a hole drilled over the carb's intake. Engine is still breaking in and I should have waited. It now has 4 or 500 more RPM. Will switch it back. Thinking it is just the engine wearing in.
Vid does not sound any different when switching between st8 pipe and or muffler but can hear it in person.

Put flap on helmet that covers the back of your neck. Huge difference! A lot warmer.

RiverSide :: Mufflerandopenpipe.mp4 video by dan3xd - Photobucket

Last edited: