gasoline smell?

GoldenMotor.com

codymarshall

Jun 18, 2009
San Diego
Hey I just got a new 2 stroke motor put on and the apartment always smells like gasoline. even when the bike is cold, the smell is still strong. I have no leaks. Is the smell normal? is there anything I can do to get rid of it? is the smell dangerous?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
turn gas petcock off,the gas tank is vented,take a piece of plastic bag and use a hair tie to hold the bag tight around the base of the gas cap. close choke on carb,take a piece of plastic bag and wrap around airfilter plastic and use a hair tie or rubber band to hold bag around airfilter. put a piece of tape around the cable that goes into the top of the carb(tape can stay on). find a plug of some sort to plug the end of your muffler(you dont have to do this one). now if you do this stuff it will get rid of most of the gas smell in your apartment,trust me i do all of this on my bike when i bring it and keep my bike in my living room. most inportant think to remember is to take this stuff off the bike before bringing outside and starting it or it wont run right. if you dont do these things gas fumes will linger around your house and a spark may light your gas fumes and boom,but usually only happens with gas appliances with pilot lights: like gas stoves or gas hot water tanks.but still the gas fumes can make you sick. if you have any questions i will be happy to answer them.
Karl
covering the gas cap is the most important. next is airfilter.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, a lot of these kits come with really crappy rubber grips that smell like petroleum products....bag those too if you have that type.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my grips dont smell. the smell comes from the vented gas cap and from the aircleaner.
thats why i cover those when bike is in house.now i only smell gas if i stick my nose right up to the carb.too bad the carb is not enclosed in a metal sealed box.also if you add some clamps on the fuel line that might help because they smell too but only up close.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There should be a hole on the bottom of the cap (or several) and one on the side under the lip, by the rubber gasket.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
At any rate, be careful of things that are full of gasoline and water heaters/stove/other things with a gas flame pilot or electronic ignition.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the vents are underneath the edge of the cap,not on top.
lucky i have all electric applainces.

take a plastic bag and a hair tie or rubber band and put around cap.
and do the same for the carb airfilter.
and bingo no more gas smell,well almost none.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
somtimes when the tank is sealed ( cap tight) the tank will pressurize itself especially if in the heat during the day or in a sunbeam inside the apt. or after a long ride by simply venting the tank first it will relieve pressure. at least thats what I do sometimes! even in the garage during summer!

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I had the same problem I was using plastic bags, but tracked it down to most of the smell coming from the carb/air filter. I just close the choke now and have no problem.

Vin

May 4, 2013
Washington DC
This will be perfect to conceal the smell when I bring this in my dorm room at school. My roommates complained and complained about it this past semester. Thanks for the advise

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Cody- Breath deeply young man. That's the smell of freedom!:)
Kidding, don't actually breath it any more than you have to. Your bike will never produce enough fumes to blow your house up, just sitting there. Gas can be dangerous, but as long as you don't have any leaks, and you don't actually apply flame to your bike, you're good to go. (The exhaust will kill you if you're in an enclosed space for enough time)
The air filter is on one side of your carb, the engine is on the other side.
Try to get some pics on here, it's helpful and we all like to see each others projects.
Good luck!