See photo-This is why everyone hires Taylar Cycles

GoldenMotor.com

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
There are a number of choices out there if you are in the market to have a Board Track Racer built. The only problem is that almost every builder uses machined aluminum, Billet and plastic parts. The final product has on overall similarity but in no way truly looks "old".

Unless you are paying huge amounts of cash, you aren't going to fool everyone that your BTR is real. The point I am trying to make is that if you are spending 4k for a build do you really want to see allen heads, aluminum and plastic? Well I dont.

If you want your build to actually look old, there is only one choice, in my opinion...
Here are pictures of what Dan (Taylar Cycles) is doing on my latest build. I have more but want to wait a couple more weeks for it to be finished before I post them. Shhh, it's a surprise :)

This time I am going for more of the regular antique motorcycle style and wanted a 1918 Norton look. I have bought a bunch of real things to pull off the look (levers, lighting, brackets, oiler, brass and nickel pieces, horn....)

I dont have the skills but I know exactly what I want done.
Dan researches the original engineering on what I want to emulate and produces a authentic looking equal.

He is meticulous and will re-do it 10 times if it isn't perfect, before turning it over to his customer. Everything is by hand and the emphasis is put on it being like it was in the past. His quality is THE BEST.

Dan has done a TON of builds/projects for me and I am always "under charged" for what I get. (Dont tell him though)

Dan is in a league of his own and is not a production builder.

This isn't a "dig" on the other builders, there just aren't ANY out there who build them at this price and look so GOOD!

I was just blown away when I got these pics and wanted to verbalize my thoughts.
Thanks for reading :)

PS. Yeah, I know the modern torque converter isnt "old" and there are some aluminum pieces shown. Wait until she's done... :)

Attachments

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Dan does beautiful work, no doubt, it is the best BUT there is something you dont get with his bikes. Self satisfaction knowing you built it yourself, that feeling is priceless and costs a lot less then 4K.

I know some will say that building a bike is not for them, lack of time or whatever. Fair enough. But i believe that buiding your own bike is what this hobby is really about. Not about fooling others.

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
Howdy again Harry!

If I had building skills I wouldn't leave my garage!

I have some abilities but they are limited. When it comes to shaping steel or bending and welding pipe, forget it.

As for "fooling", that is the goal with the hobby that interests me. I am into the BTR replica/tribute bikes. The purpose is to build these to a believable level. The better it "replicates" the original, the better it is. "Fooling" is the premise for this type of motorized cycle. If I just wanted a bicycle with a motor I am sure I could rig something up but that isnt what I want.

To sum it all up, I would rather put in a couple hundred hours into "my own" build using my own hands rather than spend 2 months waiting and a few grand for something someone built for me.
Unfortunately for me, if I want something built with real quality to my standards using my ideas, I use Dan :)

Out of all the choices I have, there is NO ONE better for what I want.

That is my point.

How is your Villiers doin?
I was never able to get my 9D going due to the spark being too weak. Sold the whole thing to fund this build.

Have a good day :)
Kris

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I honestly wasnt having a go at you, sorry if it came off that way, i just want to remind some of the newbies to at least attempt to build it themselves.

When i began my project i didnt think i could actually get her done. Building my Villiers bike was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life. It gave me a lot more confidence to attempt things myself, even if they seem over my head at first. And anyone whos built a bike themselves know that first ride feeling, that grin you just cant get off your face and that self satisfaction when someone asks" Cool, where did you get that?"..... and you can answer "I built it myself".

There was a 250cc Villiers similar to the one you had (twin pipes) on Ebay a few weeks back, i havent seen one in all the time ive been searching EBay. Unfortunately i only bid $300 and was winning the auction until the last second..... It ended up going for $305, im kicking myself i didnt go to at least $500..... im still upset about that one getting away :-(

And you need to get Dan to cover your bike so your MATES dont put up spoiler pics of your bike again :)

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I don't have any welding skills! However I was raised by a Motorhead Father and grew up around all kinds of fantastic Cars and Motorcycles, I learned how to drive in a 1966 Mustang Shelby Gt 350 one # lower then Bill Cosby's Shelby and idententical to Bills as well, this being said for the simple reason,I know Qaulity,Good Quality and Supurb Qaulity and Dan will without a doubt give SUPURB,AUTHENTIC, PERIOD CORRECT QAULITY ALL THE TIME!! now not having any welding skills, Dan has and will get me to a point where I am able to build the rest and get the joy and saticfaction that is part of building a tribute bike or any bike for that matter.
I do admire anyone with those skills and abilities to fab that I don't have (like a vast amount of tools & machines) The best thing about Dan is he can build whatever? you want. So when you ring his phone or knock on his door he ain't gonna tell ya "you get what I got or get ta stepp'n" alot of builders (NOT! dig'n on other builders) build their own version of what a vintage bike is or was and if you like it well there ain't nothing wrong with that, but if you want a particular brand bike or year those builders just laugh at you and tell you to just put any decal on it you want on it, then yer look'n like a fool when someone really knows their bikes and remember these bikes are tribute builds so we do strive for authenticty, now people like Harry,SilverBear and other well known builders who have built BTR's from old Cruiser's have created a whole new Fantastic catagory, but still keeping with a vintage and period style bike but none the less they have started with an already engineered and built frame,engine,exc,exc,exc, so where do we differ when we get a bike from Dan or any other builder, most of the custom stuff that goes on the bikes are our design or parts we've purchased, modified,customized and some parts really are a 100 yrs old.
So in conclusion if you want a particular syle brand and QAULITY! but don't have any skills,tools,abilities or J paul Gety's bank roll goe see Dan, I love my 1911 Indian and any enthusiast who loves and has knowledge of the old bikes (or not) will too! when they see it rolling by.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I know what you mean Harry I let a 1945 Famous James with a Villiers 125cc complete and running for $500.oo pass by me and I'm kinda kick'n myself in the ....well ya know

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Trukd, you asked the difference between me, Silverbear and others using a cruiser frame and people who buy their bikes already done....... the answer is about $4000..... LOL sorry couldnt resist.

I get where you are coming from Trukd, but you make it sound like me and other builders are qualified sheet metal workers with extensive workshops. Nothing could be further from the truth. I never even did metal work at school. And i only have basic tools, everything else is learnt along the way...... just sayin.

Each to their own i guess. But i agree, if i were to buy a bike i would go to one of three people.... Taylor bikes, Sportscarpat or Helmutt cycles..... All those guys are extremely talented.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I like Lurker, often build most of my bikes on the Kitchen table and do the customizing and fab on the back porch, and as frustrating as it can be at times it is a ton of fun at the same time.
You have a garage,I gotta clean up and sanitize the table before my wife gets home from work and dinner is ready (I'm Jealous!)
There are a lot of guy's Like DD who have all that stuff,I often go across the street to my buddies house to use his tools as well as getting some of his knowledge, he was a mechanic and engineer for Bowing for most of his life.
I've got a bike that if you calculated cost and labor has about $3,500.oo in it and it is because I don't have alot of the quintessentials do fab myself that I have to go to someone else for machining and welding

Attachments

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I have a 2 car garage Trukd...... with 2 cars in it. I do most of my work on the front driveway. Im in the same boat as you, when i need to work i have to get all my gear out, and at the end of the day i have to put it all back :-( and if i leave my work to have lunch i have to either move my gear or worry about it.

I think we are going off topic here a little, probably my fault LOL. My point was only that rather then people outlaying all that money they could spend that money on a workshop and build it themselves, or at least give it a go. If not you dont know what you are missing, and most builders know what i mean..... each to their own.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I am having lots of fun with these bikes , with or without all the tools and Dan helps me get there,Dan has alot going on right now but soon he'll do a complete build for me and it will be the Co. car (so to speak) and it's going to be SWEET!!

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
I honestly wasnt having a go at you, sorry if it came off that way, i just want to remind some of the newbies to at least attempt to build it themselves.

When i began my project i didnt think i could actually get her done. Building my Villiers bike was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life. It gave me a lot more confidence to attempt things myself, even if they seem over my head at first. And anyone whos built a bike themselves know that first ride feeling, that grin you just cant get off your face and that self satisfaction when someone asks" Cool, where did you get that?"..... and you can answer "I built it myself".

There was a 250cc Villiers similar to the one you had (twin pipes) on Ebay a few weeks back, i havent seen one in all the time ive been searching EBay. Unfortunately i only bid $300 and was winning the auction until the last second..... It ended up going for $305, im kicking myself i didnt go to at least $500..... im still upset about that one getting away :-(

And you need to get Dan to cover your bike so your MATES dont put up spoiler pics of your bike again :)
Harry,
I didnt take it that way at all but I wanted to explain where the post was coming from.
You are totally right about the satisfaction of the build. I dont understand how Dan can let them go when he is finished :)

That Villiers motor on ebay was my listing (Imaddicted2eba)
It belonged to my friend, Chris. (Robertriley)

They are awesome motors and the look is cool.

Thanks for the responses.
Kris

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Harry,
I didnt take it that way at all but I wanted to explain where the post was coming from.
You are totally right about the satisfaction of the build. I dont understand how Dan can let them go when he is finished :)

That Villiers motor on ebay was my listing (Imaddicted2eba)
It belonged to my friend, Chris. (Robertriley)

They are awesome motors and the look is cool.

Thanks for the responses.
Kris
The engine i saw was from Australia, and it was a 250cc which i think are fairly rare (ive never seen one in OZ), if im not mistaken wasnt the Villiers you had the smaller 172cc version???????

Heres the engine i was referring to http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...sspagename=STRK:MEDWX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
Harry,
That is a nice motor and NOT the one I sold (obviously). The one I sold was a 125cc 9D.
That motor would have been really nice for a build. Not sure about the availability of Amal carbs, coils and original exhaust would be where you are. Here, they are like finding hens teeth but with fillings :)
Kris

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I dont think a carb would be a problem at all, the electricals were with the motor and hopefully they would be fine with a little cleanup like all the Villiers 98cc motors i have, and id make my own exhaust, so thats not a problem at all.

But yeah that would have made an awesome BTR, i still cry myself to sleep thinking about that little engine LOL