Handle Bar Exhaust?? YEP!!

GoldenMotor.com

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
So i just wanted to share a trick I found . I ordered one of those little Banana expansion chambers for my Schwinn Clairmont and the thing was not going to fit. The angel was all wrong. So I cut each end off of the Banana. It is symmetrical so it does not matter what end is what. I cut my stock muffler to use as a head pipe. I used the handle bars I took off of my Huffy Cranbrook to rout the lower section. The tube is similar thickness and the same size as the head pipe. It was chrome and had some perfect bends to it!! I tacked them in place, removed the exhaust to finish weld and added a tab to mount the rear of the exhaust to the old fender mount on the kick stand mount. I’m very happy and it works well. No more oil all over my tire and way less 4 stroking. I think the head pipe needs to be longer so I can get a bit more lower end, but it comes on at higher rpms pretty hard! No silencer yet so it sounds like a cr500! I love it Lol…

these are the only pics i have for now but will post better ones soon (and their is a napkin in the ehaust cause it drips)

Picture 010a.JPG

Picture 012a.JPG

Picture 014a.JPG

Picture 016a.JPG dnut

Last edited:

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
Thanks Classic!
Yea!! my buddy has a cafe racer with a dirt bike cr500 in it and we went through a tunnel together and my little 66 was poppin louder than him. until he reved up...lol. it is really loud tho and has a bit of grunt!

Last edited:

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
Hmmm.. dont seem to be getting much input on the pipe as i had expected....

any body like it? tryed it?... the beer caps in the copper silencer is genius i think... well seemed that way when i was downing the 6pack to get the caps!!lol auctuall works very well...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Several guys have had good luck using the chrome handlebar material for exhaust pipe.

http://motorbicycling.com/f51/handle-bar-exhaust-32340.html

Just a suggestion but custom exhaust can also be fabricated from 1/2 or 3/4" EMT, electrical conduit. It works well, is easily bent and can be welded. A fact that most don't know is that conduit can be polished to a near chrome like finish with a little buffing.
Thanks for your idea.
Tom

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
Thanks! i want to post a clip of it runnin with out the silencer! i love the way it sounds. and i have been making dif caps and they all sound diff! fun and tuneable