Beware of bikeberry!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Listen, I know these bikes are not supposed to be the most reliable on the road but DO NOT TRUST Bikeberry to fulfill any type of warrenty! I bought two engines from them. One has been fine, the second was a lemon from day one. Since I had a local motorized bike shop I was able to replace the CDI, (twice), and the clutch lever. The second engine never ran that good to begin with, so after checking everything on this blog troubleshooting and it finally stopping mid ride after the break in period I contacted Bikeberry. Here is the response you can expect from these clowns. You need to figure out the problem we do not replace the engine. The problem IS the engine, now I am not a mechanic and I do not know how to tear down an engine and rebuild. I do not have tools to check for correct compression and I do not know how to rebuild small engines if I did I would have a side business doing so! I have however gone through this kit with a shop mechanic on a brief visit and he could not find anything wrong on the obvious (magneto good, check, wiring soldered check, new cdi check new spark plug, check, new boot (non kit), check,) and I went through it afterwards . Now, this engine is still under their posted warranty, under 200 miles and they refuse to do anything. Do not trust them to back up anything they sell unless it is completely missing from the kit and even then expect a two week wait and a lot of back and forth with some rude staff to get that done. I dropped 400.00 with some extra parts from them and have one functioning bike kit. Get the picture, expensive company to deal with!!!! If you are foolish enough to deal with them GOOD LUCK! I will NEVER trust this company again. I know they sponsor this page but hopefully a few people will read this and go to a company that backs the products they sell. I was actually foolish enough to post I never had a real problem with them. Goes to show you should always wait till the S hits the fan.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sorry to hear of your troubles Moisstink, I have not purchased a kit or engine from them so I have no experience with there customer service, I have bought from other here on the forum but never had a warranty issue with any of them so I guess I've been fortunate.

If you're really serious about this hobby I suggest you go through these threads well and learn the basics of what everything in these engines looks like and how it all works, this might help you solve your current problem and any that may arise in the future.
These china girl kits are not plug & play and they require a certain amount of maintenance and upkeep, knowing how to work on the mechanical and learning to tune the carb will be of great benefit to you and anyone that ventures into this great hobby.

Hope this helps and best wishes, ride happy and ride safe....!

http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39 (Many topics on engine)

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=391 (Thread for engine tare down)

Map reddd

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sorry to hear your problems dude.
I've said it before. It's all about the vendor.
Why pay more than $150 for a china girl kit?
Hope you don't give up on motorbicycling...it's a learning curve sometimes but worth it when you get a sweet one built!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Sorry to hear about your experience with one of the vendors but the honest truth is IMO, china girl motors are a roll of the dice and it's not "IF" but "WHEN" the motor blows up. I played with these motors for a short while before I realized that I would end up dropping more $ into replacing motors then buying a better solution.
I'm pretty sure they get a bunch of complaints and would probably be out of business if they replaced every bad motor.
If I were a vendor of china girl motors, I wouldn't have a warranty knowing the history & quality of these motors. There's a video of these motors being built in a factory that is very educational & eye opening.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I just order parts twice this week with them and got my stuff in three days both times.
As far as I'm concerned bike berry very good parts supplier and I'll go back again and again.
Now they engine don't know and don't care because I won't roll less than Dax or the lastest and greatest
A MBR GEN V

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Sorry to hear about your experience with one of the vendors but the honest truth is IMO, china girl motors are a roll of the dice and it's not "IF" but "WHEN" the motor blows up. I played with these motors for a short while before I realized that I would end up dropping more $ into replacing motors then buying a better solution.
I'm pretty sure they get a bunch of complaints and would probably be out of business if they replaced every bad motor.
If I were a vendor of china girl motors, I wouldn't have a warranty knowing the history & quality of these motors. There's a video of these motors being built in a factory that is very educational & eye opening.
I agree with what you are saying. My thing is they post a Warranty on their site and even the banner above that is BS! They either need to drop the false advertising or man up and back up the parts they sell.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I just order parts twice this week with them and got my stuff in three days both times.
As far as I'm concerned bike berry very good parts supplier and I'll go back again and again.
Now they engine don't know and don't care because I won't roll less than Dax or the lastest and greatest
A MBR GEN V
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while! Once they sell you a POS you may think twice on going back again and again.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
(50 some line paragraph with no breaks at all?
It's OK to hit enter while you type here bud, and I recommend it as I could NOT read all this..)
I only buy Skyhawk 2-stroke but I have used bikeberry for some other parts and no problems, I just don't like the engine kits they sale and never bought one from them but that doesn't stop them from e-mailing me their 'sale' to two of my emial address every single day for week for overpiced junk.

They are not the only ones, I have laughed at gasbike/kings pounding me with ad's for the '66cc SKyhawk parts in a box' at 55% off everything, $173 delivered and you have to assemble the top end.

The YD factory quality is worth it to me and all I buy but having bought 5 kits delivered for $136 I cringe at this crap and holiday greed because gouging is goughing so even though gasbike ain't like it used to be, I still get the good stuff for less if I pay attention.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Las Vegas
dnutI bought some parts from bike berry and then had credit card fraud.. Never make any purchases on credit card but used it cause needed gaskets and couldnt find any online.. So made a 10$ purchase and week later after getting part.. Some one made a unauthorized purchase of 300$ from best buy in different state... I eyeing that the purchase from bike berry lead to the fraud... I cant say it was Bike berry but it was that purchase that gave someone my credit card info...brnot

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Sorry to hear that, Burning Napalm 4 fuel.
I use and recommend to others a re-loadable debit/ credit card for all internet purchases such as the Green Dot brand. This way all you do is load the card for the amount you want to use with CASH only and maby a few dollars more for unexpected shipping and handling charges you may come across.
Burn up that balance and leave it low until the next purchase.
This way if a thief gets a hold of the info you are not out alot of money and your bank account/ credit card info is always kept protected.

As for bikeberry, I have read enough bad info about them to steer clear of them. I have never bought from them before.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm curious, and maybe the vendor in question is too, as to what the specific problem is with the engine. You say "it is a lemon" and that it doesn't run well. What does that mean? If the CDI went bad that isn't the fault of the engine. Certainly the clutch lever you had to replace isn't the problem.

What is the issue with the engine? Does it not run or not run as good as you expect it to? If you're comparing it to another engine then I'd have to ask what the milage difference is between the two. An engine that is broken in will always perform better than a new one.
Can you provide some basis for your complaint about the engine itself?

I'm not standing up for the vendor but probably asking the same questions they are as to why you want a replacement engine from them.

Tom

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I contacted the vendor with all of this information as well. Once the engine was installed it ran alright for the first couple hundred miles.
The only thing really in the first month was CDI problem and Clutch lever went out as you mentioned $40.00 in the first month.
At around the 300 mile mark I was riding and it went from a normal ride to cutting out a couple pops then nothing the engine has not fired up yet.
I have had to adjust the clutch due to slipping in the past but the clutch was fine at the time of the blowout. Thought it was something in the electrical possibly.
So I took the bike to a motorized bike shop that did a quick check on the magneto said that was good. They also charge 50.00 an hour so I said I'll get back to you.
I bought a new CDI (Second one, first one plug boot fell apart on, so replaced that with a new boot then this, so I bought another one to trouble shoot that possibility) another 20.00.
I replaced the plug checked the gap and new boot. Switched the whole carb unit from first engine to trouble shoot that possibility.
I went through and soldered the wires to make sure nothing was happening on that level. I bought a multimeter to check everything electrical to the engine per readings I found on this site and could find nothing.
The engine is not locked up but will not turn over or fire. I have not opened the engine yet due to the fact I did not want BIKEBERRY to void the warranty on it! That is the bad joke.
I am about to break into opening the engine and doing more research through this site on what internally could be wrong.

I am not ready to quit riding but I know nothing is guaranteed now on these.
So I have around 75.00 in the first couple months on repairs, and a 160.00 kit that is dead in the water right now.
I bought this to have some fun not become a small engine mechanic within the first few months of owning.
Not too many car dealers will tell you before you return a new car under warranty that has completely died
you need to rebuild the engine and tell them what is wrong.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
A MBR GEN V
Ditto........!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I was riding and it went from a normal ride to cutting out a couple pops then nothing the engine has not fired up yet.

So I took the bike to a motorized bike shop that did a quick check on the magneto said that was good. They also charge 50.00 an hour so I said I'll get back to you.
Hey Moisstink, you in Tempe AZ?
How about them Sun Devils yesterday? ;-}

Bring it by my shop next week and we'll give it a quick look for free before you crack the case open.
Drop me a Contact mail from my web site to set up it as it is the holidays.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Good job, KCVale!

Be sure to post some notion of your results here, will you?

I'm leaning toward trusting the vendor and chalking this issue up to some kind of mis-understanding.

But having some certainty would be good, too.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Hey Moisstink, you in Tempe AZ?
How about them Sun Devils yesterday? ;-}

Bring it by my shop next week and we'll give it a quick look for free before you crack the case open.
Drop me a Contact mail from my web site to set up it as it is the holidays.
The Devils tore it up! Yeah, I am about at the end of my patience on this. I have been spending a lot of cash and ALOT of time on this weekend after weekend with no luck on any of it 40.00 in the last week on new magneto and new multimeter. I will either have the kit in the mail back to BIKEBERRY by next weekend for full refund or I will stop by for sure. Where are you located at?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
40.00 in the last week on a new magneto and new multimeter.
So with the plug out and held against a head bolt do you get a spark when you roll it with the clutch out?

If so that doesn't mean it's good as the magneto magnet could be out of alignment but a good place to start,

If you get spark leave the plug out, take the exhaust off, and with the fuel turned off pedal the bike up and down the street with the clutch out a couple of times with no throttle to blow any crap you may have in the crankcase out.

With the exhaust still off put the plug back in, turn on the fuel and give it a go.

Where are you located?
I am just off of 15th ave and Peoria in North Phoenix, just east of the Metrocenter mall on the I-17 at the SW base of North Mountain (Sunnyslope).