Anyone just use Youtube for their TV viewing?

GoldenMotor.com

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
YT is my "cableTV" - all of my TV is YT. Am I the only one? I had Netflix, but there DVD selection got poorer and poorer and they lied when their database said they had the shows and my que - 2-3 yrs later said "Still coming sometime".......like the LEXX season 3 set. I got ALL of them in 2004, but when I decided to re--rent them in 2010, I never got 1/4 of them EVER!!!!!!!!!

same thing with many other shows too. just got fed up. their DVD selection "on screen" was the same as it was 10 yrs earlier - but in REALITY - most of their obscure stuff was GONE in the REAL WORLD (but on screen IT WAS THERE TO RENT).

jerks. fook em. I think I will goto cafeDVD.......they have the stuff Netflix USED to have - art house animation, independent films, obscure TV shows, 30's black and white classics, and foreign films.

............all stuff Netflix has turned it back on in becoming the next Blockbuster/Redbox Hollywood crap supplier.

..............but YT has some of that stuff - quite a lot in fact!!!!!!!!!! and why I LOVE Youtube!!!!!!!!!!!!! beat the sheet out of Crapflix in selection (if you like "sleepers").

I use my TV as the PC monitor and my PC as my TV cable-box.

I cut cableTV 16 yrs ago ----never looked back. for 12 of those years it was "lean" for me..........a few DVD's, VHS's, and over the air 6-8 channels.

but the last 4 years have been WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!! 60" HDTV with Youtube as my channel provider!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't watch "TV". We currently have over 200 channles available at a cost of nearly $70. a month and, there is nothing worth watching. If it wasn't for my wife who likes her 'cooking shows' a couple of soaps and her daytime TV, I'd cancel my cable subscription in a heartbeat.

I remember when they used to offer 'entertainment' but what passes for that today is laughable in the extreme.

Give me a good book or a quiet afternoon putzing in the garage and I'm happy. Television is a joke and an insult to my intelligence. Don't even get me started on 'sit-coms' or that travisty, 'Reality Programming'.

I use Youtube and I search for old music videos, informative narrative and things you'll never see on television. I'm with you Gaffo. YT is entertainment the way we want it.

Tom

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Oh wow.................reading your post got me into my long dormant "Crusader Mode" - to my last decade and half - Pirate Radio (Yes! to diverse progaming - death to Clear-channel/media-pap-consolidation (pap = consolidation and vise versa so repeating myself).

yes the "last mile" ISP's (a pox on ATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is one example - Death to ATT!!!!!!!!!

as is the Google (which bought Youtube - DEATH to Youtube!!!!!!!!!!!) - not the last mile, but 10 miles upstream....................yet still a consolidated Outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

but, I like YT and bow as an unworthy ant with no power nor influence - to Google, Youtube's mother for ALLOWING (for their own rea$on$ - which in this particular co-incide with mine) to ignore the blight of the DMCA and just "play dumb" instead.

ok by me........................as I keep a weary drunken eye on the Consolidated Monster "Google-Tube".........for the day that beast may decide to support the DMCA and become the enemy of Liberty and Life.

lol. I told you from your post above you awakened my Don Quiote spirit!

just sayin.

.....................I've had 6 weak beers - and so decided (treating myself to a 4 day week FROM work - so ok - lol) to get a few more - and cigs (I quit, but with beers - I re-start).

just sayin......................

I'd like to comment on YT's offerings for those they may not know. not sure if you know, but if you do not - I'd like to offer some links to some great TV shows that Neflix never offered in either DVD nor streaming - that I found in YT and then bought the DVD box sets of.

but will post after my trip (walking of course - I still have judgment even under influence) - hour or so.

if that is ok Sir.

thanks for reply and concurance in Spirit of my post ;-).

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
There's this English chap that plays a guitar, that I watch from time to time......

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
howdy - back with my 36 oz beer and coffin nails. have a good buddy live 6 blocks down the street - hopefully he will take the nails left tomorrow..............so I will not smoke them sober. sober nic is no prob - as long as they are not next to me. lol. enough willpower to not buy then, but will smoke them if sitting there. go figure.

anyway.

I love Cats and their vids - which YT excels at - but YT can "Can" be much MUCH more.

it can be a window to shows one never knew existed -------one has to take the time to read comments under vids to disscover other vids of interest.

Colditz:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM82JDoeBE-hO8G8MJIgwB61Xgf4qipTo

start with the 3rd......firs ttow are slow.......the remaining 20 or so are great.

sapphire and steel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1XqNXAiVFav5jPS98UXouv8AbQ6j-STV

nowhere man (RIP Dean Jones - who died today - he is in one episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W64ZMyaJsmE&list=PL6fJmjt84zZjDCMUCDmvEnUKDwbWUr4JC

strange luck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvVuMD-Psg&list=PL9B48A17E22EC919D

ufo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQtuowj2GvM&list=PLiaQGDce_8bVp12e4lqlZyFO1enQSaBWq

1990:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2DL9-Bx1ME&list=PLuZiyj7NXf_91hyAOyJnsky4mTjTiKHCk

department S:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pChkHvhvnU&list=PLKreEfL-AfILA-V9vXu1uFx3EHb-3K94o

callan (season 3-4 color):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhcsy7J5wNk&list=PLFHFABpjyxQnHdoezgr7nlesG2eSAjJI-

Raffles:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFHFABpjyxQmqZ2vkVWF2nxUh3h1Yto_m

callan - season 1 and 2 black and white: - full shows are now gone: this is promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8kQyZ76mCk

Gideon's way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z8Gbxq8Sqo&list=PL0biCPgfAN3LHJGAS12wVXObrekgwnX38

Dark Skies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqtgSDe03J0&list=PL100251E1431A0BA1

Human Jungle (I bought the DVD set - would love to upload for others to YT - but upload DSL speed is too slow - upload cancels after 11 hours - not enough for even one show. I see no others have offered this fab show on YT for others to disscover ;-/.)

My links above are TV centric and not movie but: but same concept: great full movies are there too - if you know the Director's name (I.E Majid Majidi, and the other Iranian that did "White Balloon" are there to watch/note and buy their works in DVD form (I'd say - "to rent via Netflix DVD form, but today I doubt it ;-(................)

Walter Sales too (Central Station and etc.................Brazilian director).

...............listening to Judee Sill right now (and now love Genesis (per Gabrial!---I never knew - growing up under pop Colins (thanks for nothing radio!) - genesis was THAT GOOD -now I do thanks to YT.)

never heard of Judee Sill, but read a comment from another artist via YT less than a year ago - checked her works up on YT (works offered in full violation of DMCA rule of law) - loved it! and so bought both her self titled and the even better one - her second album Heartfood.

------------no thanks to "radio" (which I gave up on 20 yrs ago for a vehicle of discovery (that's a laugh!!!!!!) - or for anything for that matter).

thanks You tube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Sill's "The Kiss" and Sandy Denny's (all thanks to Usenet binaries 16 yrs ago for her/their (fairport convention) offering to us .........NOT Radio!!!!!! (sandy who??????) "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" are the two top works of all time IMO.

Last edited:

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
I use YouTube. I also bought rabbit TV. It is on sale for $5.00 now. I use the live channels on it most.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
For me it's "Yes" and "No". I became a Hollywood hater a long time ago and haven't watched TV regularly since the late 1970s. And it's been practically zero in the last decade or so.

Occasionally I'll watch something like "Green Acres" or "The Twilight Zone" on Hulu. And I'll watch "fail" videos or research favorite musicians on YouTube.

But I'm more of an 'audio only' guy.

So the age of the internet has been a real bonus for me. Podcasts! I love 'em. And that's where I spend my computer time when it's not hands-on type stuff like this.

Recently I've been listening to a guy doing shows about the early space age. On the American side of it, he's been giving a lot of detail of, say, Gemini missions that is hard to get anywhere else. On the Soviet side of it he's got detail that I don't think was even known in the West until pretty recently. They had a lot of trouble getting the first few Soyuz's off the ground, for instance.

I think I've covered all of the MB stuff that I'm going to this evening, for that matter. So I think I'll go find out just how they finally managed to get one of them flying properly.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
I too got sick of paying for cable t.v. so about 15 years ago, I used my t.v. for target practice, and told Comcast to kiss my you know what!

For 15 years I did not have any t.v. at all, except for you tube.

For Christmas last year I received a small flat screen as a gift...

Now I subscribe to Netflix at $9 a month, but most my viewing is YOU TUBE!

I believe YOU TUBE is the future NBC or ABC!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The audio and video industries hate the internet, they can't dictate what we watch. Music has enjoyed a grass roots expansion as people discover new sounds, new ways of doing things through Youtube, and self serving marketeers can't put the brakes on it.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
a roku box and internet access is all you'll ever need. unlimited music, movies, series, games, etc... and YOU choose what's on TV. all for the low cost of ZERO dollars a month.

you can pick up a used one on ebay for around $20. just plug it in and you're done. they even come with built-in wifi, you can plug up a tv anywhere you want one. no cable needed.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Funny how we all differ in what we want to 'view' for passive entertainment in the time allotted.

The wife and I's TOTAL entertainment budget is about $400 a month.
That counts going to movies,renting discs, going to a live concert or game, etc.

The vast majority of our 'entertainment time' and budget is spent in the living room, and working form home, and I have a LOT of free time ;-}

Life with only U-tube?

I'm not a hunger strike kind of guy.
Heck, I'm an entertainment/news spoiled, let me control the flow, glutton of content.

We don't even have a kitchen table we actually ever eat at except a special occasion big enough to warrant my wife moving all her computer stuff.

When not sleeping (no TV in the bedroom, ever), working or cooking, it's sitting in front the TV most of the time.

65" 1280x720
Dual HD tuner/DVR cable box with every HD channel + HBO (for free).
Internet/BlueRay box with a Netflix Internet subscription and RedBox account.
5.1 Sound for movies, nice stereo for talking shows.
Dual remotes that can control it all with ease.

You would think 2 remotes would be a bad idea but not here.
We have so many entertainment options and pause/FF abilities it's a chore we often joke about.

I don't watch commercials, and I want to pause when I feel like it, and that's what we have.

Now back to living room to resume the game I paused so I could FF through the commercials ;-}

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, $400/mo sounds about right. We go to one concert a month at $70 to $120 for 2 tickets. Concert starts at 8:00 so it's dinner at the good place with wine and appetizer, about $160 with tax and tip.

Plus the $175 for Uverse I'm doing ~$425. It's fun!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm currently on phone and broadband, I watch the bike gp racing (Danny Kent 70 points above 2nd place with 6 rounds to go in Moto3, don't drop it, son, rubber side down!). Music comes from occasional online radio and Youtube. I rarely use catch up television.
Once Kent has hopefully secured his world title, I will not even bother with that, and find myself a cheapo phone and broadband only provider.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
For me it's "Yes" and "No". I became a Hollywood hater a long time ago and haven't watched TV regularly since the late 1970s. And it's been practically zero in the last decade or so.

Occasionally I'll watch something like "Green Acres" or "The Twilight Zone" on Hulu. And I'll watch "fail" videos or research favorite musicians on YouTube.

But I'm more of an 'audio only' guy.

So the age of the internet has been a real bonus for me. Podcasts! I love 'em. And that's where I spend my computer time when it's not hands-on type stuff like this.

Recently I've been listening to a guy doing shows about the early space age. On the American side of it, he's been giving a lot of detail of, say, Gemini missions that is hard to get anywhere else. On the Soviet side of it he's got detail that I don't think was even known in the West until pretty recently. They had a lot of trouble getting the first few Soyuz's off the ground, for instance.

I think I've covered all of the MB stuff that I'm going to this evening, for that matter. So I think I'll go find out just how they finally managed to get one of them flying properly.
Hi Blue. I sometimes troll for Podcasts - but there is a lot of Kruft (or is that with a "C"?) out there and so not a Podcast-centric guy. I did find Astronomy Cast, Titanium Physicists, and Dan Carlin's history podcast (Dan tends to be a little too ego-centric (his mother (I think rather than father - had some link in Hollywood in the 60's, scripe writer or some such) for me though)....there was a "Roman History" podcast that was quite good - but it was yrs ago and long since forgot the name of that one (nice and dry from one Hsitorican - not bombastic ---so "boring" by today's ADD populous....lol :-(.

anyway - as said, have limited time with other interests - like posting here, watching YT, riding my goped/etc.....................but welcome any Podcasts that you value. I've seen your posts here and suspect your interests and tastes are similar to mind and so your input I think I'd value.

thanks for your time Sr Blue.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
The audio and video industries hate the internet,.
Indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!........this is why I fear the Internet's 20 yr now "Wild West" is under constant threat of control by "Media Interests" ----------- note that Netflix is now changing from a "movie rental" service to a "broadcaster of their own show$".......more money for the latter.

Netflix is not the Internet - so fine, good for them doing their own thing - I'll just drop supporting them via my membership and go to another company that is "rent movie" centric (like cafeDVD) for myself.

BUT YT is not Neflix - its GOOGLE (so more powerful). I do fear that "IF" Google decides to uphold DMCA - with control of YT (which if you are honest "is, in effect the "video part of the internet" today.......................yes there is Vimeo and Dailymotion (the latter majority owned by France's gov. so not interested or under control of DMCA (a good thing IMO))..........but those two together are what? 10-pecent the size of YT?.....IF Google $ee$ advantage in upholding the Satanic DMCA, they will and then we will lose 90-percent of the "Wild West" virtue of the Internet - the remaining 90-percent behind a copyright firewall of pay-per-view (or similar). This the price and reality of media consolidation (which has been our reality for the last 20 yrs).

today and last 15 yrs - Google has been our friend - playing the ignorance game (and lets be honest - ok? - they, you and I all know they willfully violate the DMCA). I hate DMCA so have no problem with ignoring unjust law (as SC justice John Jay trillions of years ago said about Jury Nullification- "an unjust law is neither law nor just" - or somesuch (or was that Franklin? - both guys were ok by me and shared the same mindset so whomever).

they can't dictate what we watch. .

But that is my fear - they CAN in fact. Today and the last 15 yrs Google has decided to not do so - but YT is Google and make up a large part of the "internet" and if they decide to respect the DMCA - they can and will end the YT you and I know and value. majority of stuff on YT is in violation of DMCA - as we all know.

if there is $$ advantage - to date there is not, but today is not tomorrow - Google has determined that there is more advantage to ignore DMCA than honour it - so far.

Music has enjoyed a grass roots expansion as people discover new sounds, new ways of doing things through Youtube, and self serving marketeers can't put the brakes on it.
indeed Sir, but I still fear and doubt your assumption of "no brakes"

Google is large enough now to in effect put the breaks on "the internet" - via YT if they decide to. I se no reason today - not be their actions so far - to see them doing so - but they CONTROL enough of "the internet" to make it a far less appealing thing - IF they decide to do $o.................(its all about the $$$ - to date they so on advantage in upholding DMCA - but tomorrow? - they may ;-/.

............and I'm not even talking about the "LAST MILE" (where in the more "We'll break your legs unless you pay us protection money" obvious way ATT/Comcast/Roadrunner/etc................has the mussel to "cut you off" unless you agree to their terms - which if they are according to DMCA -----then you are in the same boat as that of Google dictating the same said terms!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Sometimes I quite admire the French. They do tend to run the country for the benefit of their own citizenry. Of course, if you're not French, they can be absolute pains in the sensitive areas.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Google is to the internet more like a card catalog to library users, You Tube a mere sampler pack... neither of which even remotely comes close to being able to "dictate" content (aside from removing content from their own domain) but rather rely on user provided content to exist.

You've just got it the wrong way around is all.

All of the aforementioned services are simply the most popular, they're only the most popular as they're the easiest to use, the easiest to find... but in reality they hardly even scratch the surface of the actual internet content and they sure as heck have little more then a superficial appearance of control as if they fail to provide what the users wish, those users will, can & do find it elsewhere.

There is a LOT more out there then a search engine can offer as simply put, the best sites prevent their domains from being indexed by such a search engine specifically to prevent being so easily found by the trolling hordes, or so-called commercial corporate "interests" & all the streaming video sites, pay-per-view or otherwise are for those whom don't know of or don't care to bother to actually utilize the capabilities and potential of their internet access.

Convenience or content, just click what others offer for a price (even You Tube via imbedded ads) or with a bit of effort you'll find others have already offered everything... which "price" you pay is up to you.

I prefer the "cost" of research & self-education.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I got rid of Netflix and cable tv too. I have an outdoor hdtv antenna I get about 50 free digital channals from Houston area. And I have a PS3 I can watch utube and crackle and a few others for free on that.

Last edited: