Question on SB shifter kit?

GoldenMotor.com

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Slick bike as you know makes two, two stroke shift kits. Standard &
Heavy duty. Is it worth the extra $$ for the heavy duty kit?

Fly .flg.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
Looks to me like the only real difference between the two is the freewheel. $60 seems like a lot of difference in freewheel price.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
Price really is dictated by quantity made sometimes. Because it is a specialty item SB parts is getting $80 out of their HD freewheel. But I don't see why a sprocket-ed freewheel cant be used. They are heavy duty and way cheaper. Make a plate to bolt onto sprocket and away you go. That is what I am going to do since I have (at least) two bikes to build.

Jonda500

May 10, 2014
Canberra, Australia
Chainreation- that is brilliant! - I have at least half a dozen spare old gearcluster freewheels and unlike over half of the 8 freewheels I have bought from SBPs, the rear wheel freewheels have no detectable free play in their bearings! One of my $80 HD freewheels has so much free play in it I can rock the chainwheels from side to side a full 5mm - I reckon the derailleur chain comes off more easily when there's so much play in the bearing so I will definately be looking into this possibility- no other bearings on my bikes have any detectable play in them and now I have a way of fixing the pedal freewheel play for free! Thanks heaps for sharing that idea chainreaction!!

Jonda500

May 10, 2014
Canberra, Australia
Flyman, I have 8 freewheels, 2 of the cheap ones, 3 of the slightly less cheap ones and 3 of the $80 HD ones. I have put a combined total of several thousand kilometres on them and so far have not noticed the cheap or expensive ones wearing out. I have two freewheels that came with no detectable play in them and they are still tight hundreds of miles later- one is an $80 HD, the other is a $20 standard kit item. I am very happy with these two, the other six have various different amounts of play in them and have been like that since new but haven't gotten worse.
edit: note- all six of my chinagirls are standard unmodified engines.

Last edited: