Custom Exhaust?

GoldenMotor.com

TFroehlichIII

Dec 27, 2013
Lansing MI, USA
Hello Everyone,
I just got my engine kit the other day (66cc flying horse 2 cycle) and I'm starting to put everything together in my free time. My main question is, can I cut the exhaust that came with the kit and locate the muffler under the rear cargo rack (with heat shield of course) and then bend/weld the custom fit pipe from the engine to the muffler?

Will this cause any performance issues?

Thanks in advance!

zpt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You can most certainly do what you're thinking. There are many of us who have built custom exhaust systems. Personally I've had good luck with 3/4" EMT (electrical conduit). It can be easily bent and welded. There is some limitation to the bend radius but it usually isn't an issue.

Good luck and show us what you come up with.

Tom

TFroehlichIII

Dec 27, 2013
Lansing MI, USA
Thanks for the reply! That is great news and thanks for the material suggestion! I will get working on this and when I get it done I will take and post pictures! I'm super excited for this bike project! It is my first and I can't wait to get it done! I figured it would be a cheaper expense rather than a moped so we shall see! Not to mention that they get better gas mileage than mopeds. Suddenly my Chevy Cruze at 40mpg doesn't sound as good as it used to!
laff

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
While you are describing an up pipe.
It should be about the same length as mine.
I used 1" garage door torsion tube ( I own a garage door co. )
It's a bit thicker than conduit and easier to weld. 1" OD.
Make sure to rap it in heat tape , unless you like the smell of burning flesh.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
TFIII- You have your answer. I'm unable to put up a link, but typing: "exhaust straight pipe after stock muffler" in the search bar above will get you to a discussion I had on this subject. The other members were really helpful, and maybe it would benefit you as well.
Good luck!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I've also made a custom exhaust out of 3/4" copper tubing with an old-school riding mower muffler (stuffed with a kitchen scrubbie). Performance is better than the OE muffler, but maybe not as good as with the expansion chamber I had. The tone of the exhaust is just right.

Good luck in your project!!

(By the way, that's a great looking bike you've got there, Boxcar!)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
While you are describing an up pipe.
It should be about the same length as mine.
I used 1" garage door torsion tube ( I own a garage door co. )
It's a bit thicker than conduit and easier to weld. 1" OD.
Make sure to rap it in heat tape , unless you like the smell of burning flesh.

]
Boxcar,
Could you elaborate a little on "garage door torsion tube". I've never seen a tubular type. It's usually solid rod. Or we're talking about different things. We'd also like to see a close up photo of the pipe, if possible. Very nice work and a good looking bike.

Thanks.

Tom

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Residential and light commercial doors use 1" galvanized torsion tubes. ( spring shaft )
You can probably contact your local door guy and ask for a rem or take out and get it for free. 36-40" is all you will need.

Sorry for the pictures. I haven't taken any detailed shots.
I will now and post them later .

I separated the pipe 1" ahead of the muffler , added the custom bent torsion
to that then welded the muffler to the rear.
Then added a 1" x 3/8" flat bar mount that bolts to the kick stand bung behind the bottom bracket for a strong exhaust mount.
Raped the whole thing with 1" heat tape ( aluminized ) .
Using the original header pipe allowed me to retain the factory heat shield and made for a nice clean transition to the torque tube.
Worked great as the OD of the muffler tube ( header pipe ) and the ID of the torsion tube are such that it makes for a tight slip joint.
Good bottom and mid performance and a 34 mph top speed with a 44 tooth sprocket.
It is running a Delorto clone and a Champion L82YC plug.
I'm sure that helps... Thanks....

Last edited: