How do I motorize this???

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
The trouble with these custom axles is that the bearings are light duty and the central sprocket is secured by a hollow spring steel drive pin. With normal use these pins crack collapse and break, so adding an engine into the mix is only going to hasten their demise. And once the pin breaks all drive is lost, which is not good if it happens in the middle of a busy intersection.

With good bearings and an improved securing pin on the sprocket the axle might be fine, but if this trike is going to be for an 80 year old I would be concerned about using this axle unless your customer is skilled at changing drive pins on the side of the road at a moment's notice.

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
The trouble with these custom axles is that the bearings are light duty and the central sprocket is secured by a hollow spring steel drive pin. With normal use these pins crack collapse and break, so adding an engine into the mix is only going to hasten their demise. And once the pin breaks all drive is lost, which is not good if it happens in the middle of a busy intersection.

With good bearings and an improved securing pin on the sprocket the axle might be fine, but if this trike is going to be for an 80 year old I would be concerned about using this axle unless your customer is skilled at changing drive pins on the side of the road at a moment's notice.
I have to agree about the bearings. The wheel bearings I found when disassembling the Columbia tricycle rear end were the weakest point on the whole assembly.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Some of the sponsors here carry a trike conversion kit made for motorizing. I've never bought one myself but I'd be interested in hearing how they work out.