Moto Pope's Ranger finished

GoldenMotor.com

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
I finished my motorized bicycle "Ranger," earlier this summer, but have been perfecting it as I ride. I entered a car show last week for the first time and was the only item on 2 wheels, so, no official notice. I did, however get a lot of notice from folks attending the event. Many were very interested to know details on the bike. I am attempting to download photos from photobucket, and will, if I remember how. OK, didn't work, will try again.

Last edited:

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Thanks, bubba, and truck'd, some time ago, you suggested I set the seat back with a lay back post, which I did and like the result, thanks!

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
In looking back at my first post on this thread, I wrote vintage motor, but meant to say " vintagized" motor, as it is a dfisguised new Lifan 79cc.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Truly a work of art Moto!

Ya gotta do a thread on the "Moto Pope Vintagizing method" (now available in dfisguise !!!)

That is just too cool

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Thanks Dan, and Forgive me, I forget, not many still read ancient Swangian script. Anyway, there is no method to what I do/did, just conger it up in my mind and do it. At a show Sat., I couldn't convince one old gentleman that my motor is not an old 2 stroke???

DreamMachine

Aug 11, 2013
Towanda, Pa.
Very nice!! As Truckd said, a true gentleman's bike. What year Ranger is that? 1919? Being that I don't know very much about the really old American bikes, I probably would have believe you had you told me that! I like the round head on that motor. How did you manage that if you don't mind?

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Thanks for your affirmations toward my efforts, much appreciated. Dream, truth is, I made up the ranger monicker to avoid those who would say, "that doesn't do justice to a real; Pope, Indian, HD, etc." Mr. B suggests that approach, and I agree. I did take my inspiriation from several 1915 era bikes I like, but especially a pair of Popes.
Ratrod, I started with a Huffy "Nel Lasso"?? Mostly I chose it for the hefty frame, and great wheels n tires. About all that remains r wheel/tires, the fork tube, and rear triangle. I've found the parts fairly heavy duty, for a bicycle.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Forgot to answer Dream about the fake head. I fashioned a ring that fit around the valve cover, using existing hold-down bolt holes. Used 2 inches of a tube for center, holding fake spark plug. Welded fins between ring and tube, using thin strap iron. I formed a thin aluminum "can" under it all to hide valve cover. It fools many! Kind a fun!

DreamMachine

Aug 11, 2013
Towanda, Pa.
I can see how some purists might have a problem with the Indian and HD replicas being built. I should have you build me one and call it " The Wheeler" being that is my last name! Very nice bike and thanks for sharing. Always enjoy something unique and nicely built.
drn2