HF 79cc to replace HS 49cc in the "Black Ale"

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is one of my first 4-stroke builds and the engine has 20,000+ miles on it and still runs strong. The only reason for the new engine transplant is that I'm re-building it for one of my sons and he is bigger and has hill's to tackle where he lives. Here's some pics.....

And yeah I know Aleman......but sometimes bigger is what's required cuz not everyone is a peddalin' fool.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
will the 99 cc HF fit upright in that frame?
Just asking, i know it's an easier and cheaper install to do it on the kit mounting plate.

Is your son going to race it on the track? Father - son racing team?
Yes the 99cc will fit upright in that frame, but i'm going to mount it slanted.

I doubt my son Neil will be racing it, but ya never know! Yes I have a son named Neil, but he's much cooler than you or I laff

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Nice job! I think I get drunk watching the latest pictures of Black Ale because every time I look at them, my vision becomes blurry;)

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This set-up is still using the stock 170mm alloy cranks and the wide sealed cartridge bearing bottom bracket from Sick Bike Parts and they do clear the 11" wide 79cc HF Predator engine with EZM tranny.

This build is nearly complete.....once again .

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That is looking really nice scotto!
Thanks Dan, was able to take it for a test ride yesterday and it cruises nicely! Still have to install an air filter, proper throttle cable, rear brake and a front engine mount. Then it's the little things like a proper sparkplug, dialing in the carb, routing and securing the cables and stuff like that.

Hope my son likes his new/old Christmas present ;)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Oh, I think he will more than like it.

With your vast experience with the HF engines, may I ask a question...
Are those 99/ 79cc HF engines really that much better at climbing hills than the HS142's?
As everyone in the group ride (way back when) found out, I really don't care much for top speeds. I live in hill country. Torque is what I strive for. I really don't want to gear down for it though as a decent top speed of 30 or so is also desired.
I guess I am trying "to have my cake and eat it too".

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That bike looks very good scotto, I have two of the older Greyhound HF 79cc engines sitting new in the box, and seeing this build sure makes me want to get one of them rigged up on a bike......

Map
reddd

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Oh, I think he will more than like it.

Are those 99/ 79cc HF engines really that much better at climbing hills than the HS142's?

I guess I am trying "to have my cake and eat it too".
Yes they are.....much better. The 79cc is made so you can have your cake.....and climb up it too!

What carb are you running on that engine?

Awesome bike ...................Curt
It's the 19mm carb that AGK sells.......a chinese mikuni type knock-off.

Workin' on the rear brake and waitin' on a throttle cable......

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just an update while waiting for a couple more parts.......a little pictorial so too speak.....

....and there you have it, that wasn't too bad I hope?

dnut

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
scotto

acknowledge your cleaver use of the cast piece to make your forward engine mount --bravo!!

I hope others note and follow your example