Whizzer Fuel Tank mounts

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Hi guys,
I have one of these repro 4L Whizzer tanks that I am planning on mounting on my Dyno frame. This canti-style frame has a really exaggerated bend in the top tube, so fitting this tank does not appear to be simply a bolt-on affair.

Link to my tank:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42380

I have noticed that the four mounting tabs (2 front/2 rear) are welded on in a flat plane front to back, so it appears the mounting is meant for a straight top tube. Mounting it without bending the mounting tabs will mean there will never be a secure mounting.

Questions:

1) did the original Whizzer tanks (and the ones available now) have these straight tabs?

2) Are these tabs meant to be bent into shape to conform to the bike frame?

3) anyone have any clever ways to mount such a tank?

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
OK thanks for the responses.

Leads me to my next question (cuz I thought you were going to say use spacers). What did you use for spacers? Carved wood? aluminum block? etc?

I've had a couple thoughts. My go-to would be to braze a couple threaded hex standoffs onto the frame, and then run the screws down thru the tank mounting tabs and into the standoffs. Seems brilliant except the flange around the waist of the tank prevents feeding a screw down into mounting tabs; seems they want you to feed the screw from the bottom?

Dunno, maybe I should play with trying to feed screws from the top and see what happens.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
This same style tank has been copied sense the 1940's, most of the frames were with a small curve. let us know what you come up with.

Ray