from walmart cruiser to......whatever this is lol

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got my Torquer pipe from Arrow today. I started a thread in the "Intake and Exhaust" section, but figured I will post a couple pics here as well, so here they are. Careful not to drool on your keyboards or screens, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got this handlebar mount for my phone on Amazon for less than $6. It's far better quality than I expected for the money. I plan to use my phone as a gps speedo, because I have too much ground interference on my frame to use a cyclocomputer. I have tried wired and wireless with the same results.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I made a sited fuel gauge. I had done this mod before, but removed it for reasons I can not remember. Anyway, here is how I did it. My tank has a tunnel with a section of fuel line connecting both sides. I went to the auto parts store and got a 3 way fuel splitter and a section of clear fuel line. I cut the fuel line connecting the two halves of the tunnel, attached each end to the fuel splitter, and attached the clear fuel line to the other connection on the splitter, then I ran the fuel line up the side of my tank and secured it with zip ties.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
This is a Puch hi hi head which I had to do some modification on to fit my engine. My wife's brother in law helped me with that. We had to cut the fins down because I have an expansion chamber from Arrow Cycles, and the head pipe sits over top of the head, so the tall fins of the hi hi head wouldn't fit underneath the Arrow pipe. We cut the fins down with an angle grinder and a very large cutting disc, and then I filed it to make the fins as straight as possible. There is a slight angle, but I got them as straight as I could. We also reamed out the holes for the head studs, because they come drilled for 6mm head studs and I have 8mm studs. I had a bit of trouble with tightening the head bolts because the socket wouldn't fit all the way down between the fins, so I took 4 axle nuts and used them as washers. This enabled the head bolts to sit up where they aren't between the fins. I am running 2 head gaskets, sprayed with copper rtv.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Down to one gasket on the hi hi head now. It started pretty much the same as it did with the stock head. Took it for a little test spin around the block. Didnt have a speedo with me, but she seems to accelerate a lot easier than she did before.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My gas is a few weeks to a month old. I'm starting to wonder if that has anything to do with how this thing is running. Tomorrow or Friday I may go get some fresh gas.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Figured its time for a little update. I did end up changing out the old gas, and switching from 89 to 93 octane. She purrs like a kitten, and I think the engine is getting used to the higher compression. On my most recent trip out, she seemed to be gaining a few revs. Tomorrow, I am going to make a trip out to a friend's house, and that will give me a chance to open her up a bit and see how she does. The bike is almost completely done. I am waiting on a mini generator from wonderful creations to power my headlight and a 7.2v bulb for my brake light, and when I install both of those, thats it for awhile.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I thought I would post some pics today just for fun. The bike probably doesn't look any different than last time I posted pics, but I just got done buttoning down the last of the maintenance today, and she is done (at least for awhile anyway, lol). I finally got all the parts I wanted. Drum brake, shock forks, Worksman seat, and a mini-gen (secondary coil) to run my headlight. All my other lights run off batteries, so my lighting system is finally complete.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The bike is way cool, I like it. You have done good with it. Sounds like you are happy with it.
Thanks, ccc. Yes I am very happy with it. I think about my bike and I get this feeling of pride and satisfaction, knowing I didnt just bring a bike home from the store and slap a kit on it and stop there. I mean yes, originally this bike was just brought home from the store and a kit installed with no modification beyond what was necessary. But when you look at it now, you can't tell that it was a Huffy Cranbrook (unless you have a real eye for EXACT frame geometry), and it has a lot of non-kit motorized parts as well. Everyone gets a feeling of pride when they put their first bike together, whether they customize it or not, but when you build something and you look at it and you know that each part was either hand picked or fabricated and installed with your own two hands, nothing compares to that feeling.