2 Engines, 1 Bike....Ludicrous Acceleration

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
How about using a couple of ball bearing rollers on the side of the belt, near the tire, with just enough adjustment to keepthe belt from contacting the tire?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
waynez,
I've thougth of something similar to what you suggested. On this particular wheel sheave I made, there is very little room for anything to fit. Its a 650c very narrow rim to rim pulley & it just barely fits the top of the 1/2" belt. By going to a 3/8" belt (3L) I'll be picking up 1/8" of clearance & it will get inside the wheel pulley better. I also slid the engine pulley out just a tad on the driveshaft to allow some clearance...This should do the trick & I also like the way the 3L belt wraps around the small pulley better since its more pliable. Will post some pics once the belt arrives.
-Lowracer-

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
I think its a cool contraption, but is it practical? is it legal? is it fun? (No, No, Yes)
Props to you for getting her built and running...

I have built and rode every type of MB under the sun here in SC (our home state) and have passed every type of law enforcement vehicle and have never been pulled over not once!

I would venture a guess that driving that thing down the road will make you a marked man by anyone who sees it!

All I got to say is...... RIDE THAT THING for all it is worth

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Props to you for getting her built and running...

I have built and rode every type of MB under the sun here in SC (our home state) and have passed every type of law enforcement vehicle and have never been pulled over not once!

I would venture a guess that driving that thing down the road will make you a marked man by anyone who sees it!

All I got to say is...... RIDE THAT THING for all it is worth
Your twins are more noticeable than mine were, since they're topside. Mine's were low and left-side, ala Staton. For some reason, casual observers never noticed the second engine.

If lowracer covered the twins, it'd be less noticeable.

I like!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I received the new bearings to fit my Staton 1/2" double bearing clutch driver. I had a bear of a time removing the old bearings but I finally got them out. I installed the new bearings & took it for a spin. Nice & tight again. I'm not sure what max rpm these bearings are designed to handle. I know I messed up the bearings building the rear friction drive project & needing to use alot of downforce on the clutch driver to keep the powerful engine from spinning the roller on the tire. With the v-belt drive, I use a skateboard wheel on an arm as a belt tensioner & dont need to make it overly tight to keep the v-belt from slipping. I'm now really looking forward to receiving the narrower & shallower 3L belt to replace the AX belt. Hopefully arriving this week...
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
OK,
While I've had a tremendous amount of fun riding this '2-HEADED MONSTER' around my neighborhood lately, I don't think I'm gonna keep it this way for a few reasons.
1- Its too fast (stupid fast is a better word for it)
2- Its too noisy (sounds like 2 dirtbikes racing eachother down the road)
3- It isn't legal @ 100cc's & pushing 8 HP
So before I get arrested or killed, I took the rear engine off today & will run this as a front engine MB (I like front better than rear for a variety of reasons)
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
A quick follow-up on the recent V-Belt changes.
I received the new 3L v-belt & installed it & new pulley.
This 3L isn't notched like a 3V or the AX that I replaced. I went with a 1.75" pulley instead of the 1.5" since a 3L is narrower & rides further down into the pulley reducing the effective drive ratio. Once I got it all hooked up & tensioned correctly I took it for a test spin.
It slipped easily under load & had me wondering if it could either be from not being notched or from its slimmer dimensions.
I removed it & put the AX back on. Gotta try new ideas to find the hot setup. I know now that I already had the hot setup. I was thinking about buying the notched 3VX belt just to confirm or deny my curiosity that the notching is what helps the belt wrap better around the small engine pulley thereby eliminating the slippage?
Maybe next time...
I dont get any slippage under load running the AX v-belt & will stick with it.
I fine tuned & shimmed the belt angle using washers to effectively move the rack out just a bit, but enough to eliminate belt touch.
-Lowracer-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The 3L should be an FHP belt, while the AX is an A belt. They have slightly different angles I believe. I have mixed them before with out much issue, but you situation is demanding and this could be the problem. Probably a wise thing to do, back to the single engine, but that was one bas A$$ super bike!. Like the seat BTW.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cannonball2,
I was fighting the need to switch back to one engine especially since I now have the engine that was mounted on the rear doing nothing but sitting in a storage box.
Thanks about the seat...Its a Gyes leather beach cruiser saddle. I got 2 of them on eBay for like $80/ea.
I love these saddles!
I'm going to get yet another for my 3rd bike but will probably get the full springer they offer. (see pic)

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If the small pully slips easily, I would try more slack in the belt, along with an flat idler to wrap the belt around the small pulley more for better grip.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
wayne z,
The 3L belt slips easily, the AX belt doesn't slip at all.
I'm sticking with the larger AX belt, but thanks for the input.
I'm always trying to invent a better mousetrap...lol
-Lowracer-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Cannonball2,
I was fighting the need to switch back to one engine especially since I now have the engine that was mounted on the rear doing nothing but sitting in a storage box.
Thanks about the seat...Its a Gyes leather beach cruiser saddle. I got 2 of them on eBay for like $80/ea.
I love these saddles!
I'm going to get yet another for my 3rd bike but will probably get the full springer they offer. (see pic)
This is where I have considered buying on ebay, might be wgere you got yours. The 2 spring is 64.99. This is the full springer.Gyes CL-10 Classic Look Front/Rear Springs Leather Bike Saddle Brown 560-040 | eBay

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
These hairpin saddles are $29.99 + shipping on Rideable Bicycle Replicas
I've never ridden one but they look ok.
Click the Victor Hairpin Style Saddle item
-Lowracer-
Yeah you are watching the same saddles. I buy all my center stands from that seller, good product, and good people. As of last night the browns were still 64.99. I guess there is more demand for the black. The saddles in the link also show up on ebay for similar money. The are not as nice looking as the Guyes. I keep looking for a Brooks, but the beat used ones sell for as much as a new Guyes. I have found out in life some times the money saved doesnt offset the disappointment over what you got. Generally I wind up buying the product I didnt the first time, spending even more money.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cannonball2,
The 'narrow butt' spring saddles are 64.99, the 'Mama Bears' are 69.99 & the 'Hugh Jass' ones are more...I got 2 'Hugh Jass' beach models now but wanna get the 'Mama Bear' for my next saddle.
I really like the Gyes saddles...never owned a Brooks & wont since I'm liking the Gyes.
I may not go for the fully sprung saddle. I was reading somewhere that you get lateral movement going fully sprung & I dont wanna go left to right.
I got my 2 center-stand kickstands from them as well...Nice units
-Lowracer-

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
wayne z,
The 3L belt slips easily, the AX belt doesn't slip at all.
I'm sticking with the larger AX belt, but thanks for the input.
I'm always trying to invent a better mousetrap...lol
-Lowracer-
I noticed on the Grainger PDF that you mentioned post #20 on page 2 of this thread, it says that the AX notched v-belts "not for use on clutching applications because of aggressive grip".

I suspect you have a centrifugal clutch on these engines and the AX notched worked out fine despite what they say, yes?

http://www.grainger.com/tps/power_t...e.pdf?cm_sp=TPS-_-VBelt Reference Guide-_-Top

I've already bought two of the Silmilar Gates TriPower AX belts and one of the Dayton Premium AX belt for my three belt system. I have two jack shaft system for a total 40:1 reduction.

I have the Gates A v-belt Powerated brand and am thinking to try AX belts with the notches so I will try to get better grip especially on the smallest pulley about 2" diameter. It can slip when on very steep hills or just accelerating out.

One thing I also heard was for slippage besides using belt dressing (liquid spray), the use of talcum powder can prevent slippage. I don't know if that is something like the old locomotives that used steam and I think some fine grit that sprayed under the powered wheels. (found this: http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/diesel-locomotive3.htm ) They used sand, probably not good for belts, but fine talc sounds like an idea.

I saw the use of Talc idea on the thread: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42121

Page #1 post #9 Tooljunkie wrote on your other thread "Dax Friction drive converted to V belt drive"

I might try this first before using the belt dressing liquid spray if I find the need on either the A or AX v-belts I have. The pure talc I got already is from
Tap Plastics and does not have asbestos or alcohol in it, so is safe for people and the belt itself.

MT

PS the way you made the sheave and attached it I admire! Does it use any fasteners beside the strong glue?

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=13 Page #13 Post #129 The Trail Bike Mode - OHV CA DMV approved

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=14 Page #14 Post #133 to Post 137 for my searching and attaining the notched AX Belts

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Measure Twice,
The notched belts don't 'aggressively grip'.
I've used them on small 1.5" drive v-pulleys up to 3".
They just wrap better. The 'A' belts (all smooth ones) actually slip on the smaller pulleys under high power while the 'AX' notched don't slip.
Never use automotive spray on belt dressing (whatta nightmare).
The talc powder is the ticket.
After glue dries I drilled & also bolted the rims together with 4 long thin bolts w/nylocks.
-Low-

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I got hope with what you mention about the notched belts.

Before I do trail riding again, I swap the belts for the AX type. Of course I don't think I'll be climbing as big a stuff with my bike as the Yamaha 125 a friend let me try.

My 3hp Briggs actually is probably about the same displacement and both are 4 stroke, but the Yamaha gets 7 times the horsepower. Then what is the gearing on the Yamaha compared to my 40:1 Briggs Bike? Maybe with a running start I'll do OK on hill climb!

MT