Looking for a trike gotta have a trike ect

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Any secondary brake will be better than leaning back and trying to use your shoes in an emergency. How much cable travel do you need with the scissor-lift setup?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The lift travel is a couple of inches max. The same is true of the rear cable.

on the rear brake, I can do a lever pull and get the rear wheel locked, It may not do that when moving, but it is better than nothing for sure. That thing just scared me with only one brake in front and then I had to redo it to mount the motor. the brake is attached to the rear of the fork not the front as is traditional, so I really wanted an emergency brake.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm always looking for simple ways to motorize things, so I found a pretty easy way to motorize a trike. If you take a square tube about an inch on each side and about 36" in length. You can drill three holes in it on center/center. Then go to the spot behind the seat where the rear frame of the trike takes off.

At that point you can attach it either through the brake holder hole if there is one and/or with the old three bolt squeeze play. what you will have is half of the square tube hanging over each of the rear wheels. From this you can hang a brake or a motor mount. I am going to one day hang a motor on one side and a brake on the other. Then trim it down so that it isn't too wide for my shop door.

Just a thought.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The trike I got had to be a senior citizens model. The gearing was so low that even with the 31cc motor I could never catch the freewheel.. I switched out the chain ring for a slightly larger one and now at least I can catch it once in a while. I will probably go with one a little larger once it gets run a little.

The 31cc motor is a lot of fun, I can imagine how much more fun the 50 or 99cc would be. I would not hesitate at all to put a front wheel drive friction motor on a trike now that I have done it. its a blast to ride that thing.

I took off the basket temp and put on a 1x10 plank so that I can attach any kind of device I want on the back. I should put a boom on it and cable. then offer a bike towing service... Wouldn't that just be too cool.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got a wild hair last night and switched out those big handlebars for some that came from a 16" bike. I'm not sure exactly why I did it, but it feels more comfortable not to have my arms stretched so wide when I ride the trike. I plan to put a small basket on the front if it will fit and then the large on on the rear. I would really prefer a closed trunk back there. I might go that route even though I will never ride it in the rain.

I am going to add some flags or something on the back just to remind drivers that I'm wider than a bike. I might be the only trike they will ever see on the major streets around town. If I go with the trunk I will get a flasher for the top of it.

It's raining today or I would take some pictures of it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I found a fibgerglass carrying case which I got with a chainsaw I bought for the engine. The case is black and fit onto the rear of the trike perfectly. Plus I got a basket on the front as well. So now I have most of the elements in place. I may roll it out between the showers and make pictures just for the heck of it. Even if i cant ride it. Just as soon as I finish the latest episode of Top Shot on the web.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was in wal mart today and found two four inch reflectors for a buck and a half. The look good on my black plastic box,

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So I finally got to put some time in on the trike. I notice that when it is running down the road it has a bump and kind of a square wheel feeling. The note on the wheels say be careful not to over tighten. it will screw up the bearings and I have done that a time or two on ordinary wheels, so I am gong to tighten them but just a hair.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I like your trike a lot ! It looks completely different from the one I built for my Bro-in law. He wanted a rope pull with a cent. clutch so he don`t have to pedal start. It has run perfect for 6 months now.

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hey now, there's always going to be a bigger fish, you want to see a real monster? Muahaha

THIS is a monster HT trike, mark the day you saw this:

Not that donb's ain't cool, it doesn't mean you suck. Just a different way to go about it, ya?

And hey, your's gets you around, beats the **** out of walking :D

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Too wild this is day two of my ride and modify the trike the deacon built lol. After a day of messin with that front end trying to get brakes and the engine on the front wheel, I ended with a twenty inch wheel in a 24inch fork. that gives me room to fun a bar across under the motor mount on which to hang a brake harp. It looks okay but I haven't tried it yet. That's day three's project. My 2.5 hp 99cc ilfan is sitting on a bench waiting for me to get tired of the 31cc.

I am also looking at making my own trike as well. If you remember the trailers i build with out riggers, or the stabilizers i built lat month, you have an idea of what the home made trike is going to look like I think. I am going with one that has not pedals only engine and brakes. It should be interesting.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I had to rework the trike today. I have it running so I'm going to leave it alone until I can at least try it out. I used a 26" front fork with a 24" wheel. That configuration allows me to put a motor mount in the brake hole as well as drop down extension to hang a brake harp. It's a good thing now I can hang any motor I want on the front and still use a front brake.

Tomorrow I am going to run a better cable on the rear brake. It works but it also works loose the cable isn't secure enough yet. I am learning how to balance this thing a bit better. That is always a good feeling.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I went back out and worked on the Miami Sun trike again today. If you ever get the chance to buy one of these things DON'T.. Some of the tubing that looks solid on first glance is actually half tubing. Just the part you can see is solid, the bottom of the tube doesn't exist. I was going to put the 2.5 hp motor on it now I don't think so. The 31cc probably won't break the frame but I can't even guarantee that. I am having buyers remorse for this thing. Oh well it's a learning experience.

I rode the bike a few miles today around the hood and it is an attention getter anyway. I am getting more confidence on it as well. That is always a good thing.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have been giving some thought to the trike issue. I installed a heavy duty front fork so it should hold the 2.5hp ilfan motor. The back of the trike is really just there to hold the bike on the road. I still might make the motor swap this week. I want to ride the trike with the light in the butt motor for a while first. If there is a leaning curve and there is. I would prefer it with the smaller motor.