my SE Stout rebuild start/progress.

GoldenMotor.com

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
hello everyone. i last fall put a stock skyhawk 66cc kit on my SE stout. it was alot of fun and it ran really good. i live in a hilly area in PA. so i though to get the most out of it, id add some things to up its hp and such.
so far i only have the motor and jack shaft on. and my bottom bracket changed. also some things added to my motor. sound damps, new hex head hardware, sbp HD air filter and new intake.

iv got lots of plans for it. but right now the only thing i need to do is get my N-360 on my rim, fit my chain and add fuel.:) here are some pis of it now and more will come.

.trlrl.

more pics of my bike and other random stuff here.

http://motorbicycling.com/members/earl-k-albums.html

http://motorbicycling.com/members/earl-k/

Last edited:

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
thanx:) i got the bike just for motorizing and though i should get a strong bike to work with. and its a tough cookie. you have a good eye for nice bikes.lol

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That thing's gonna be awesome!!
SE's are still among my top 3 favorite bike brands! (even though 'OM' Scott doesn't own the company anymore.)

Before I built the white 'BMX' motorbike, I had originally envisioned it being a OM Flyer.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
thank you venice, iv put alot of time and money into this bike. and other then the back wheel its done. ill be putting more pics as i go also..
the 2009 se stout is a great bike:) its only like 350 now! i wish i could buy ten of them. they are well built bikes, and being a 29er its wheels are wider. i did not have much trouble getting the back sprocket on. but i really wish i would have drilled it out and mounted it to the hubs disk mount! or got a shift kit earlier.(it did bent 2 spokes)

it road like a dream stock.(shyhawk gt5 kit) it got up most big hills, but bogged down two much. and there are ALOT of hills here.it was killing my motor fast. im thinking all my effort and new parts will help my tiny motor out a bit, till i get a real motor.. cough*cough*morini!*cough*

a link to a page with the bike and some info on it. NOTE- i got the 19 inch frame. sizes are 15-17-19-21 15-17 most likely will be too small. 19 is for the most part a perfect fit. 21 is room to work!:)
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/se/stout.htm

Last edited:

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
just a update on my bike for anyone who cares:) got a new spark plug and got a front disk break off a junk bike. i bought the bike for $20 because it was just sitting around. the disk break was worth $20 alone.

hoping to get my back wheel done soon! taking it to a bike shop that dose wheel building tomorrow. what is the chance they have the spokes size i need.

my next post will be of my bike when its done. ill list all my parts, and how they hold up to the test. good weather is coming, time to get things done..

http://motorbicycling.com/members/earl-k/

http://motorbicycling.com/members/earl-k-albums.html

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Excuse me for my immaturity but this one gave me a good laugh rotfl, sounds like it's gonna be a build that just gets better over time! Have fun :)
-LS

Last edited:

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
got a new spark plug and got a front dick break off a junk bike. [/QUOTE]

Excuse me for my immaturity but this one gave me a good laugh rotfl, sounds like it's gonna be a build that just gets better over time! Have fun :)
-LS[/QUOTE]

lol.. good catch... im just going to pretend it dident happen.. i love the edit tool:) and yah, thats my goal. i just hope when im done i have money to keep it running. thanx LS

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well, here's the thing, if you can't pay for gas, you can say " I'll show you something REALLY cool if you give me 50 cents." That would be a quick way of exposing people to the amazing world of motorized bikes and getting some gas money :D I can't wait to see this sweet little bike done!
-LS

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
Well, here's the thing, if you can't pay for gas, you can say " I'll show you something REALLY cool if you give me 50 cents." That would be a quick way of exposing people to the amazing world of motorized bikes and getting some gas money :D I can't wait to see this sweet little bike done!
-LS
me either!:) im not into the beach cruiser builds so much, so i think as far as looks go. it will be the best looking bike iv ever seen. the SE stout is by far the best bike i have ever owned. and im glad to make a motorized beast!lol

and as far as money goes. i was thinking more about if something brakes. like my $300 hub because i have no other 29er wheels to replace it. and it will, with spokes coast close to $100 to lace up and get spokes now.:( (40-50 to re lace a different hub on, plus spokes) and i can replace most of my motor parts with things i have. but some things take money and time to order..

ill keep you updated on how it runs when it is done. im building it to run at around 30 flat. but to be able to go up long steep hills. because i live in a valley town. no way to get around hills and dirt roads. but i can say its nice riding mostly, cope free out in the back woods of PA...:)

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
so this build is at a dead stop.. i took my back wheel and new hub to a bike shop. so far i have got no calls from them. and i called a week ago, they could not even give me a time or price.. im calling again today, its been 14 days(two weeks) no call or nothing.

when i dropped it off, the guy said 3-4 days for a price. then after that a few days to order spokes. how long dose it take to measure a rim and hub?? and then call me to let me know they will get building it after they order the spokes.. or some time this year!!!

its sooo nice out. and the only thing holding me back from riding this beast is, well no back wheel. so i guess im going to build another bike to ride till this one is done..:(

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
Find another shop, pick up your stuff, and take it somewhere else. If they can't give you decent customer service, how well do you trust their work, especially when you're going to be going 30MPH on that wheel?
i trust that they can do it, and right. and i did think about just picking it up. but i dont have a car, and the bike shop is a few towns over( 30 miles) so to do that would just be a longer set back.

i dident get ahold of them today, and cant tomorrow. but Monday im calling and letting them know how i feel about there lack of progress. its not cheep junk im having them work with.. and its easy money for them, i mean $50 just to lace it up.. and i have to buy the spokes frome them.

on top of that i plan on buying 2 tubes, cable housing, break pads and a few other things if they have them.. there looking at 200-$300 in one shot.

i know they have alot of work on there hands. but to take a few measurements, order the spokes and call me should not take two weeks!!! once thats all done, if it takes to long. ill go get my stuff and do it myself. but i do at least need the sized spokes..

Last edited:

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
and i just read on there site- not open sunday or monday!! errg!!

if i could just find a nice bike under $200 worth building up for now. because i guess i can order a kit, get it on a bike and be riding in the time it takes to build a back wheel!

looking for a used se stout older then 2010.(2009 is the best) or old schwinn hardtrails- 1995ish is a good year for them.. anyone?

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
today was a good day!:) i got a call at 8Am from the bike shop saying i could come pic up my wheel!! and buy luck my only friend with a car came over for the first time in months. so i was able to get it today and start putting things together..

i dident get much done tonight, but should have it all done and have pics up in the next day or so!! here is some pics of my wheel all done..

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
so this post is going to feel naked because i cant get any pics up yet.. iv got to get my pipe welded together before its done.. i had it on with the hardware provided, and it will not do for the riding im into.. or i just installed it wrong? i really love the way it sounds, and the fact you can feel the power diff. but the stock seals and camps dident last me long.

i tried JB weld and its working where the head pipe joins the expansion chamber, but the the other joint i used it on failed the first ride. i used it where the straight copper pipe joins the manifold. im guessing it got too hot, but it should be good till 600f. how hot should my header pipe get before its too hot? just to know, still geting it welded ASAP.

other then that, its a mean ride.:) it out runs my friends bike and my motors only been run about 5 miles.. ill have more on how it runs once i can ride it.lol

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
The exhaust gases coming from the exhaust port can reach temperatures of around 850F maximum (we're talking among all things called a 2 stroke that run on gasoline fuel) Our engines probably run cooler, but still hot enough to make jb fail

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
well im back.. after my nuvinci hub blow out it took some time to get my new set up.. i went with a derailleur 8 speed set up. and now that i got my derailleur all tuned it runs great.

for the last month or so i have has a 26inch 7 speed back wheel. and it was not to bad, but it rides so much smother with the 29s on it. and now all i need to do is get my pipe on there and ill be done... well for now. i like to stop dumping money into this bike and build myself another one.

well here are a few pics of what iv got going on for myself..

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nice MAB !

I like it!

Question... How does the carb perform when at that angle?
Seems to me there would be float probs.

Best
rc

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
Nice MAB !

I like it!

Question... How does the carb perform when at that angle?
Seems to me there would be float probs.

Best
rc
it works fine for me. i had the CNS V1 and i never got it working right and it was at good angle.. but this CNS V2 with the HD air filter has been running great for me.. even with the straight intake making it even more unlevel then it should be..