Looking to buy a new motor kit

GoldenMotor.com

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I've previously ordered a 48cc 200watt motor kit from Rock Solid and unfortunately, I believe I got the Friday make. With the problems I've had and put aside (and waiting for warranty since they're on holidays too...), because I need a bike pretty much now, only problem is, it has to be 200watts and under or I require a license to run.

I've been looking around at the 50cc bikes as that's just about the lowest and the cheapest I can find is this:
Silver 50cc Bicycle Engine Kit

I really don't want to spend too much at this point in time as I don't exactly have work either... Anyways, it says 5-6 HP, how much does that equate to in watts in the end?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
1 watt = 1.37 horsepower...

However, there is absolutely zero chance that the motor linked has even half the horsepower claimed - at the very most your looking at about 2HPish w/the "50cc" after break in and tuning, not least of which an aftermarket expansion chamber.

It's essentially, if not completely identical to Rock Solid's 48cc 200watt motor kit, save the "certification" they provide.

Last edited:

fishyfish777

Sep 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
1 watt = 1.37 horsepower...
I think you mean 1 kilowatt, because otherwise 1000W electric bikes would go upwards of two hundred miles per hour...

That said, if HT kits only made one horsepower that would equate to roughly 745 watts so I think it'd be easier to simply go electric.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O erp, sorry 'bout that - not only are ya right, it's also 1 kilowatt = 1.34HP :oops:

defo not 'nuff coffee this mornin' lol

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Well, that's when I read this reply from Noel regarding horse power to watt conversion:
Online Conversion - power- Horsepower to watts

I'm going to have to wait until January 10 before they can do any kind of warranty... Guess I'll be buying a new engine in the mean time.

May as well attach the replacement engine to a second bike for whoever might like to use it for a fun ride and whatnot.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Well, Raw Motor just got back to me that they don't ship to Australia...

Anyone know a company who does?

I'm thinking maybe all I need is a new engine since the only thing that broke really was the engine... It should come with a new magneto and clutch cover and all right? I could use some new ones too...