broke off the engine/clutch plate

GoldenMotor.com

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
I stripped the screws on this cover, then broke off a "screw extractor" bit in the screws- then attempted to drill the pieces out. Then I lost it and started beating on the plate with a hammer (it came off).
There was only one screw that came off.
With what you see here- the engine will still run correct?

Can I build or do something to disengage the clutch or not- suggestions?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Need to keep tools out of your hands....Don't be so cheap and use that piece of junk...buy a new/used gear cover. There is a way to mount the new cover and work well. How many non screwed up holes are left...1 or 2?

Last edited:

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
1 screw got out, in the upper right. The other screws never moved- It's like were tighten down with a torque wrench. I bought and use a "screw extractor" bit exactly per instructions and THAT broke off too- so I tried just straight drilling without much success.. then it was hammer time on it with my girl screaming "No, don't break it!".

I was wondering if I can still ride with y'all? Can it be fixed?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well... w/o the cover & clutch actuator you'll not have the clutch ofc... but if you can start it from a dead stop with the engine engaged pedaling it outa work just fine, stalling when ya come to a stop of course...

Try a left hand/reverse drill bit (available at any good hardware store) slightly smaller than the screws you're trying to remove, sometimes that'll back them out all by itself - if not, drill out the holes to their proper size/slightly over & tap new threads in & it'll be fine.

Bit of a pain it's true, next time try an impact driver like this: Amazon.com: Lisle 29000 3/8" Hand Impact Tool: Automotive - ya even get to use a hammer w/it lol ;)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Getting a broken screw extractor out can be a real pain but it is do able . Something hard like a small drift punch sharpened to a point start hitting at it slowly and meticulously. The extractor is brittle and will eventually chip out of your way. Delicately hammer at it with the sharpened punch until all of the extractor chips out.

With the extractor in the way a drill bit will not drill through it. It is a bit brutal on one patients but very do able!

Wear some safety glasses good luck!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Next time- Use some penetrating oil, and if you don't have or can't afford an impact driver put the (good fitting) screwdriver on the screw THEN get out your hammer and give it a few smacks.

If you can't get the screws/extractor out, use a few small pieces of flat aluminum and bridge across the cover to the case.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I am going to take a wild guess and say that is a powerking shop
engine on e-bay because I just recently purchased one from powerking
and man I haven't got those screw bolts loose yet...lol

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
LOL Diver, since you all ready took the hammer to this plate, finish the job and grab a torch and melt this bad boy down before it makes you mad again. LOL

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Actually that wouldn't be a hard fix. First you would need to get a new gear cover plate. Second drill two holes approximately where I have the solid holes marked but in the coil cover. Where the two rectangles are make tab that will go from one cover to the other (round corners). Bolt these two tabs onto the coil cover plate, bolt the gear cover plate on with the one 4mm bolt, then bolt the coil cover plate on with the 4 6mm bolts.

Also another way is that two holes can be drilled into BOTH the coil and clutch covers (plenty of room in both covers), join with tabs as described. Install as one cover. Some sort of shim will be needed on the gear cover under the tabs as the covers protrude at different heights.

No matter which way is used I'd replace the 6mm bolt in the gear cover with a longer one that you can get a nut behind it. Possibility drilling out hole to do away with the threads. This will eliminate a stuck screw problem in the future.

By the way I have 2 Powerking engines and couldn't be happier with the service I'm getting out of them...I have had to do absolutely NOTHING, to either since installed...NOTHING, whatsoever as far as repairs, adjustments, or re torque.

Attachments

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I would use a Dremel tool with the tiny cut off wheel to make a new 'slot' across the top of the screw heads; then use a straight slot screwdriver to remove the screws.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
In the Air Conditioning business on the compressor manifolds I learned years ago to give the Allan bolts a quick smack with a hammer and punch before trying to remove them. Made it easy every time.

Your right Venice we missed that!

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
man you fellas took all the humor out of this post, you all are like so serious and offering help.

the guy took a hammer to his engine for goodness sake, cant we just point and laugh at what he did ? LOLlafflafflafflaff

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
it looks like there is still potmetal on the two screws,if so could the mag cover be removed and the pot metal removed from the screws and vice grips used on the screws,any more stuck screws need the head drilled off before hammering and use vice grips,then replace with good allen heads

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
man you fellas took all the humor out of this post, you all are like so serious and offering help.

the guy took a hammer to his engine for goodness sake, cant we just point and laugh at what he did ? LOLlafflafflafflaff
its ok ,some people get excited faster than others,but those do need to keep the hammer in a lock box at the oppisite end of the garage,,i know it's not funny ,sorry xct2

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Somewhere is a picture I linked that was a motor someone had thrown it from a second or third story window then preceded to to hammer it. In the picture it looked like it was still twitching. For the life of me I cannot find it to link the photo. It was my favorite desk top background picture for a wile.:D

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Hey thanks for all the help guys! Great advice- great website!

Hurricane, I actually went to jail last night.. the engine some how got my cell phone and call 911, the cops showed up- the engine was in tears and I was denying EVERYTHING! Anyways, someone has to go to jail in these situations and now it looks like I'm facing both a domestic violence (I was violent- in my home) charge and a property destruction charge (it was property). I'm looking at a very expensive ($3,000) DV class now..

So guys, no joke- don't beat on your HT's- it'll end up costing you a lot more than $150!!

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
Good humor Diver,you made my day with that post.

Now you are deserving of all the help these fine men/women have to offer for fixing your broken plate. :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Next time try just a little heat on the aluminum casting. It will expand more than the steel fasteners and help loosen them. A sharp smack with a hammer on the screwdriver will also give you a little advantage.
Frustration with mechanical things is understandable...they do conspire against you. After working with them for over 50 years I've come to the conclusion that some of them only respond to force. It just becomes a matter of what you can afford. :)
Tom