Grubee/Skyhawk ??

GoldenMotor.com

Hajuu

Nov 27, 2009
Perth
Hey guys,

over the past few days ive been doing my first install and ive run into a pretty weird snag now, right at the end!

Basically it seems that the clutch pin that runs through the sprocket, doesn't actually *do anything* ?

I cant even work out how to debug such a problem because the pin simply comes out, cannot be pushed inwards, even manually.

What makes it even stranger is that I fail to see how the clutch lever actually connects to this pin in any way. The clutch lever thing seems to consist only of a half-crescent shaft kind of thing which remains entirely in its shaft housing thing..

Very confused, and annoyed because it means I have to walk to work (10km per trip) instead of riding for another day.

Any ideas/suggestions etc etc?
Cheers :D

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
the clutch lever as you put it only pushes the pin in to disengage the plate from the clutch pads. just put the clutch lever and cable on and adjust the cable so shes fairly tight. my clutch was a little stiff when i got it too.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
The lever can be difficult to push...it is impossible to push the pin in with your finger.

Put the lever assembly back on and push the lever hard it will move.

Attach the supplied cable to the lever at the handle bars, and the lever at the engine. Adjust the cable so that the slack is very little or none.

Here is an exploded view of the assembly...The cam, (cresent thingy), in the exploded view looks different. The function is the same.

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/animated-view-ht-clutch-assembly-countershaft-8939.html

Jim

Hajuu

Nov 27, 2009
Perth
haha wow, thanks for the speedy replies!

I took a quick look again after reading what you guys were saying but the whole thing that started the investigation was that even manually turning the clutch lever thing wasnt engaging/disengaging the clutch. It also feels completely free, like I say as though it isnt connected to anything.

Hajuu

Nov 27, 2009
Perth
heh yeah I cant see or notice anything like that behind the shaft. :(

Any idea what action I can take, im not sure if it was included from the distributor or not.. maybe just the type of bearing it is and how to replace it? :)

It's the last thing in front of me firing it up so I really want to get it fixed tonight, already had to walk to work today heh :(

Thanks a lot!

Hajuu

Nov 27, 2009
Perth
oh awesome I just checked out those animations, thanks so much Creative Engineering.

It would definately explain why the lever feels entirely disconnected: because it is, because the clutch shaft isnt sticking out far enough.

My only question would be as to the bearing size, I guess as long as its as wide as the shaft slot then I cant go too wrong, but id assume that itd be important that it wasnt too far forward or back

I'll check it out as soon as I can get some replacement bearings. If anyone knows the size or even approximate, please let me know, cause ill just be buying many random ones and seeing what works best.

Cheers guys.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
oh awesome I just checked out those animations, thanks so much Creative Engineering.

It would definately explain why the lever feels entirely disconnected: because it is, because the clutch shaft isnt sticking out far enough.

My only question would be as to the bearing size, I guess as long as its as wide as the shaft slot then I cant go too wrong, but id assume that itd be important that it wasnt too far forward or back

I'll check it out as soon as I can get some replacement bearings. If anyone knows the size or even approximate, please let me know, cause ill just be buying many random ones and seeing what works best.

Cheers guys.
There's no need to try random bearings.

The original was 8mm. A 5/16" ball is .0025" smaller, and a lot easier to find. You will never notice the .0025" difference in diameter.

If you check the area where you did the assembly, you might find it. It's common for it to fall out and go unnoticed.

Jim

Hajuu

Nov 27, 2009
Perth
Ok. Now i'm getting annoyed.

I finally tracked down that exact ball bearing (the 5/16th), and stuck it behind the shaft like the animation showed, but it seems too big or something, as now the cover wont screw on properly!?

This whole project is becoming such a time sink for something that was supposed to take me a day and 'only basic tools'...

If anyones got any ideas i'm all ears.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm wondering if perhaps the original bearing is still in there and the shaft is a lil too short/bearing is deformed...

The bearing in my engine wouldn't come out on it's own till I poked a screwdriver in there with a strong magnet stuck to it... then that lil puppy came right out.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Did you verify the original ball was in fact "not there"? Perhapse you are now doubled up. Also be sure clutch actuator cam is seated and in the clutch engaged position. My 2 cents. Maybe someone can provide depth measurement of properly installed single ball so that you have a base line.

Hajuu

Nov 27, 2009
Perth
im not sure if the bearing is in there to be honest, it's kind of hard to tell.

I'll give it a screw-driver-ing in a few hours when my guests leave. But if that is indeed the case, why the **** isn't the clutch working? As per my previous posts, the initial problem is that the clutch lever feels entirely disconnected and lose even, and that the clutch wont engage or disengage.

So then what could it be if the bearing is infact in there? It made sense to me because then the actual actuator shaft thing in the sprocket wouldn't be out far enough to contact the clutch shaft thing.

Thanks for your time

Hajuu

Nov 27, 2009
Perth
OK! Situation update - The original bearing IS in there haha, good on me. realising this, I used the clutch lever manually and out of both curiosity and frustration forced it around a bit further than its obviously meant to go (from the front, to the back, then another quarter the way around).

with the back cover off, I saw the um.. big gear that the clutch pushes outwards, the inner disc was bulging like it was showing the force through the clutch mechanism, but yet it still didnt move.. seems seized or something?

haha and to clarify -- the 4 asterisks in the last post were h - ell, the asterisks made it look far more sinister :p

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I apoligize if this sounds confusing but i thought you said that there is no way to attach you clutch cable to make it work that you can see, i beleive on the grubys that there is a small whole in the casting of the block rite above that big cover with the clutch and gears behind it. Thats where you thread the cable, when you attach the cable to the clutch rod make sure it is pulling across the top of the motor untill its tight against that push rod and then tighten it and try to lube your cable as well, then you will have enough leverage to move that rode far enough to disengage the clutch, If your allready past this point i apoligize for wasting your time and good luck!!!

Hajuu

Nov 27, 2009
Perth
oylavabeer: can you elaborate at all? cause that seems to be kind of whats happened, its like stuck or something!

Cabinfever1977 & wes: At this point im not even using the clutch lever, just doing it by hand, and I only saw this plate movement seemingly forcing the outer clutch shaft thing another quarter of the way round from what seemed natural and what was indicated.

The big gear on the other side to that lever is definately not moving, although the clutch mechanism thingy seems to definately be being pushed as in this forced position I can see it bulging clearly in the middle of the disc with the big gear.

:(