Flooding and overflowing

GoldenMotor.com

scribling

Mar 31, 2014
Simi Valley
In case anyone else has this same problem. My carb would flood and overflow seconds after I'd open the petcock. I took the entire carb apart 3 times before I found a tiny piece of something in where the little cone of the float closes the gas line. It was tiny but big enough to prevent the float from closing the gas line. Tiny! Works fine now.

Now, if only I could get a tank that wouldn't break. I'm on my 5th tank.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Which is why we stress the use of an in-line fuel filter. It doesn't take much to block the needle valve and cause the problem you had. A good filter will prevent that.

Also we tell new builders to flush and clean their fuel tanks before installing it. They come from the factory with rust, scale and dirt.

As for mounting there is a good thread on 'mounting fuel tanks' with many good suggestions to prevent the leak problem.

Tom

scribling

Mar 31, 2014
Simi Valley
I'm using 2 fuel filters! The tiny one inside the tank and an inline filter. I cannot figure out how this thing got in the needle. My bowl was full of rust too.

So, how do you clean out the inside of a new tank? I've tried vinegar but as soon as it dries it's rusted again.

I'll be getting a new tank today so cleaning it would be good to know.
This will be my 6th tank! I hate these tanks.

Oh, and the other guy with the stolen bike, that apparently English is not his first language, your story is so disjointed it's basically impossible to understand what it is you're talking about.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've seen stuff in that needle due to someone taking off the filter, then putting it back on upside down (dumping all that was caught into the carb) - many filters have no arrow, so make a mark at whichever end you install as 'top'

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's some reading for you about ways to clean rusty tanks. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=cleaning fuel tank&gsc.page=1

Chemical or mechanical, your choice. There are products made to descale a fuel tank but many like sand, pea gravel, BBs, nuts and bolts; anythinbg that when shaken in the tank will loosen and remove rust scale.

If you're getting 'flash rust' immediately after cleaning you can treat that with a quick spray of WD-40. It really is a very thin layer and won't hurt anything as long as you don't let the tank sit for a long time without fuel/oil.

If you're breaking the studs or vibration is causing the leaks you need to examine how you are mounting the tank. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=mounting fuel tank&gsc.page=1

Tom