No spark on F80

GoldenMotor.com

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
It's me again..... Received the new motor, assembled it on the bike, and would not start.
1)Adjusted the clutch, no help. wouldn't start.
2)Checked the plug for spark. No spark.
3)Replaced the CDI with new one. No spark.
4)Replaced the magneto. No spark.
5) Disconnected the "stop wires" from the connectors.
The method I was using to see if I had spark, was to remove the spark plug, and ground the plug to the head and push the bike. No tingle or spark, no shock.
Am I missing something? Of course the carb would get flooded with no spark to the motor.
Any answer would be appreciated.
Dave:confused:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I once saw a bike that had been painted badly at the factory such that paint on the head washers kept the head from being grounded to the rest of the motor - no ground, no spark. Only saw that once many years ago tho.

I have more often seen a bad ground where the mag bolts to the case - this is more common.

Checks with a multimeter should spot these problems tho, so I'm wondering if you motor is actually turning over, or if your rotor has somehow lost its magnetic alignment.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
when you check the mag, you will be looking for 350ohms between blue & black wires (or 450ohms for newer style coil) - if that reads right, then be sure to check that it is the same from blue wire to one of the head bolts