Chips, dips, chains and whips!

GoldenMotor.com

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
So........
Every kit I have seen comes with a 410 or a 415 chain. However, I see a lot of race bikes with 1/2" chains. Even my GT-5 had a 1/2" chain on it when I made the purchase. I quickly swapped it for a 415 assuming that the kits come with them for a reason.

I was considering running a heavy duty known reliable BMX chain. Just curios how wise this may or may not be. I seem to be seeing them on a lot of race set ups.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
I use a kmc 410 chain on my faster bike (I don't know HP but its snappy and most definitely not stock) In my personal opinion its much better than stock or any bigger chain for that matter; clearances are much easier to deal with, less chain noise, less drag (smaller chain). Fatty tires all day.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you also gotta remember that most of us that build race bikes with the china 2 stroke spend a lot of time fabricating things to fit right.

i spend a lot of time making sure my chain-line is dead nuts on my race bike (as well as my street bikes, come to think of it...)

a larger chain can make up for poor alignment, too much (or too little) slack, etc on a regular build, and can be more reliable on a street bike that needs to get you to work or school or whatever and back.

running a good quality smaller chain is great as long as everything's dialed in for it to work well.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
you also gotta remember that most of us that build race bikes with the china 2 stroke spend a lot of time fabricating things to fit right.

i spend a lot of time making sure my chain-line is dead nuts on my race bike (as well as my street bikes, come to think of it...)

a larger chain can make up for poor alignment, too much (or too little) slack, etc on a regular build, and can be more reliable on a street bike that needs to get you to work or school or whatever and back.

running a good quality smaller chain is great as long as everything's dialed in for it to work well.
^^THIS^^

I spend all my time making sure EVERYTHING is dialed, built, and set up right no matter what the bike. If it's not proper, I won't touch it. Although my current bike is more rat roddish, I assure you everything is done correctly, and right, straight, and true.

My thing, is that I don't want to be throwing a chain at 40 plus mph, ya know? But I am interested in going with a strong, smaller chain so long as it's safe.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It's simple. The smallest chain that will carry a given load is ALWAYS best.
Less chain noise and parasitic drag are the reasons.
But, like the others said, chain alignment is critical if you want it reliable.
I would love to use the tiny pocketbike chain on my Pig, but custom sprockets are too expensive for me to bother.
I've started using the stock stuff in my last few builds since the quality has improved a LOT over the earlier kits.
I used to replace the stocker with #41 industrial roller chain. Now it's not needed anymore. I have several thousand trouble free miles on the Pig with the stock kit chain.