Slipping clutch and stalling at 30mph

GoldenMotor.com

GPXRacer

Oct 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I have a ZOOMBIKE kit 66cc slant head on my mountainbike. The kit has around 300-500miles on it.

Engine was run in properly according to user manual (speed and fuel mix). Most of the kit is stock. The exhaust pipe felt into parts and was replaced with a expansion chamber. Furthermore I put a 36T sprocket. The connections carburetor/engine and engine/pipe were cleaned, the gaskets adjusted and in addition everything with heat resistant silicone sealed. Idle is very smooth.

I had lot's of problems with this kit but customer service was great, they always sent the spare parts really fast. Unfortunately I still have two problems:

1) The clutch is still slipping, especially uphills. I ensured the clutch releases fully. I cleaned up everything and made the surface of the clutch disc a bit more raw. I increased the pretension a bit. All this helped a bit, but the clutch is still a bit slipping uphills. Did anybody replace the clutch spring to increase the pressure between the clutch disc and the pads? If yes did it help and where can I get a suitable spring?

2) The bike doesn't go faster than 30mph (GPS measured). It goes very powerful up to 30mph but starts stalling at 30mph. All connections are good and sealed, never drove in rain (California). The generator/magneto stopped working a week ago and was replaced, still the same defect. I removed the (stock-)airfilter and drove without airfilter for a test run - no difference. It has still the stock spark plug. The choke lever vibrated of the carburetor. I removed it completely and sealed the hole. The choke was never working, the engine wouldn't start with pulled choke.
For me the strange thing is that it goes up to 30mph very powerful but then the engine stalls like somebody is push's the kill button as long as it's over 30mph. It happens exactly at 30mph, never more or less. With a 36T sprocket it should go faster.

Hope some of you will come up with ideas how to solve these issues. scratg

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Here's a link to help with the clutch: http://motorbicycling.com/f39/adjusting-clutchs-spring-more-tension-8392.html

As far as the "stalling", it's probably not a stall, but the engine stopped "pulling". Recommend change spark-plug to B5HS(NGK), get better ignition wire(autoparts store, 7mm is good) and most of all, ensure jetting is correct, should be .026" or #70 drill bit, a .001" WILL make a difference. The "2 Stroke Repair center thread has procedures to solder and re-drill jet. Hope this helped, a little goes a long way on these motors.

Mac

GPXRacer

Oct 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Half solved

Thanks Mac for the link, don't know why I didn't find this tread.

Clutch slipping is solved.

I had a brand new replacement carb therefore I just replaced the whole carb as I had to unmount it for the clutch anyways. The behavior is a bit different now but it still doesn't go faster. It seems to be more powerful at lower speeds (maybe because of the fixed clutch). I will try to get the NGK spark plug and replace it as next step. Have just been at pepboys, they don't have this one. If the sparkplug doesn't help I will go for the jetting adjustment. Jetting is a bit more difficult for me as I don't have something to drill precise.
And you are right it doesn't stall-it stops pulling above 30mph. Sorry for my bad English...

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Gap to start is .025 on the plug, NAPA always has the plugs if there is one near you. I get around 32ish(mph) with a 41T rear but it's not stock(older PK80), My other bike which I don't ride much, has one of the newer Zoom 66cc(ZB) with a 44T rear, goes about 28 and runs out of gear, level ground depending on your weight, I say around 34,(with a 36T) that's not cruise, that's wide open. I run 50:1 amsoil systhetic(sabre) oil mix, your preference, but stay away from the cheapo outboard stuff. I'm still thinking jetting though, the other things will help too.

Mac

Last edited: