Emerson HD Vid Cam

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Anyone seen one of these yet?

This looks to be a heck of a great buy for $40 at Big Lots. 5mp, 4x digital zoom, 720p HD, 8GB microSD card, Li-ion battery and a waterproof case with helmet and handlebar mounts.

Emerson EVC-355.....I'll be picking one up tomorrow. They want $85 for them on Amazon.

.wee.

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I bought one of these today and it looks to be a great deal for a GoPro look alike. The nice thing about this one is it has a color LCD unlike the standard GP's. It doesn't come with the 8GB Micro SD card from Big Lots....no big as I just happened to have a new one laying around. It accepts up to a 32GB card, so I have good expectations for this camera. I'm thinkin about a few more of these for nice presents this year....the price is right. They come in black or silver. $42 out the door.

dnut

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What format does it use for video? I initially bought a Canon camera but it made vids in a format, MCI, that wasn't compatible with Windows Movie Maker. I returned the Canon and got a Nikon that makes video in AGI format that I can use. The Canon had a better lens, clearer images but I couldn't get it to work or convert its format.

Tom

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
What format does it use for video? I initially bought a Canon camera but it made vids in a format, MCI, that wasn't compatible with Windows Movie Maker. I returned the Canon and got a Nikon that makes video in AGI format that I can use. The Canon had a better lens, clearer images but I couldn't get it to work or convert its format.

Tom
Hey Tom, it uses AVI. I just did a short clip to make sure it works: http://youtu.be/LcaO63zEqQY

Will give it a full workout asap......stay tuned.

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Scotto,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out tomorrow. A reviewer on Amazon stated that you can only use a class 4 or 5 Micro SD card. A faster one will cause the camera to malfunction:

http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Actio...=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
Hmm, interesting and good to know......I just popped in an 8GB class 10. I don't recall seeing anything in the instruction sheet on the class (speed), just that it takes up to 32GB.

I just watched my youtube clip above and noticed yellow green and blue lines in the lower part of the screen mainly, it wasn't like that when I viewed it in AVI on my computer. I think I'll get a 32GB class 4 for it tomorrow and put it to the test.

Thanks for posting that info Chris :)

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Did a ride today with the cam mounted on my helmet. The angle was a bit off but the camera seems to capture the action quite well. Uploading to youtube now......vid will be up sometime tomorrow.

dnut

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Man, that's too bad, Scotto. Have you contacted youtube to see if they have any suggestions? If you don't see those color bands on your computer it seems strange that the problem could be with the camera.

They did something to one of mine that made a couple of scenes jittery, like stop motion. When I posted that video there is a message that said my vid is jumpy and asks if I wanted them to repair it. I said yes. The vid wasn't like that on my computer. I always click "no" after that. Maybe something in their downloading?

Tom

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Man, that's too bad, Scotto. Have you contacted youtube to see if they have any suggestions? If you don't see those color bands on your computer it seems strange that the problem could be with the camera.

They did something to one of mine that made a couple of scenes jittery, like stop motion. When I posted that video there is a message that said my vid is jumpy and asks if I wanted them to repair it. I said yes. The vid wasn't like that on my computer. I always click "no" after that. Maybe something in their downloading?

Tom
It's definitely a youtube glitch and I'm going to try a few more things before contacting them. The video views fine on my computer and on the cams LCD screen. Will post updates....

updates: http://youtu.be/kpm7lTfNuQA and http://youtu.be/Jo6zVEHYUZA
0%

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Alrighty then, here's what I've found so far to cure the youtube upload with this cam. Change the format from AVI to WMV by converting the file with windows movie maker. I don't have a problem with that, others might. I'm sure there are other ways to resolve this youtube glitch, but this works for me and I'm happy with this camera so far :)

.wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When I make a movie in Movie Makers it automatiically formats to WMV. Maybe that's why I've never had a problem. But, you've posted some great vids before. Did you have to convert them?
Whatever, I'm glad you got it fixed. The tests look good.

Now go ride, and put it to some music. Youtube sometimes takes the music out if it is copyrighted. What I do is give credit to the copyright holder and they've never deleted my audio.

Tom

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The best quality vids that I have made were with my Canon PowerShot SD 790 IS or Pat's GoPro Hero and never had to convert a thing.

I'm thinkin youtube has a problem with AVI format files, anyone know of the issues?

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I use a hobbyking hd wing camera thats around $40....works really well and we use them on rc planes

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just a little update on how this camera is working out. It is working good enough to where I went out and bought a $40 GoPro chest mount harness. It was very easy to adapt the Emerson cam to the GoPro harness, you just have to PM me how to do so if ya can't figure it out. It's that simple.

dnut

Last edited: