New BTR build

GoldenMotor.com

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Hello everyone!
I have been a follower and observer but never posted anything, just simply trying to learn here....untill now.
I love the simplicity of these things and the mechanical "tinkeritis" envolved in building one. After seeing some of the brilliant bikes being built here I decided to take a leap on to this slippery slope and start my own build.

So in order to get my feet wet here is what I started with. I decided to go 4 stroke as you can see and drop it into the frame shown. I'm making my own motor mount but before taking it to the welder I need to make sure the motor is level. I can't finalize that untill I get the Sunlite dual springer fork I ordered last week.

I also started on the jackshaft brace. I still need to drill the hole for the shaft bearing as you can see.

Anyway here is what I have so far.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Looks good so far. You may want to think about another engine support added or this motor will have a bad vibration.

The fork you ordered will need a little work to get the slop out, a few washers should help. You will like the quality of the fork vs the other choices available thats for sure.

Keep up the good work....

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
What CCC is referring to is either a front mount to the downtube or an upper mount. Just search his builds, or Scotto's and you can get plenty of ideas. You can search my new build, but I just basically hijacked culver's and made them work for my application! HAHAHAHA Sry Jeff!

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I had this frame for my last 2 stroke build. Nice solid frame, no compliants. But I would have never imagined that a 4 banger would fit in there. Looks good! I can't seem to stop looking at it....LOL

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Thanks guys and thanks for the heads up on the forks too. The engine mount does not show a couple of additional braces that will be added that I already have cut. I don't know how to weld aluminum or any other metal so I'm having to take it someplace to get welded up. I will actually put a urethane pad between the mounting points of the frame to minimize vibration too.

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Well I got the fork on. Looks good so far I think.

With it mounted now i was able to see how the frame sat once the wheels are on.
This also helped to finalize the angle of the engine mount. By leveling it out some I was able to lower the engine about 1" and I suppose that is a good thing in terms of stability.
I now need to tweak some of the support braces but I'm glad I waited untill after the for was mounted before welding the mount together.

The next item on the list is the jackshaft. I have no idea what gear ratio is common to start with given my engine. Does anyone know what sizes of gears I should use on the jack shaft and rear wheel gear?

Last edited:

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I have a set of wheels laying around that are like this except my wheels are black.

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...115-24-68-spoke-coaster-wheel-set-chrome.html

I hear this is a weaker spoke setup vs the conventional criss cross type.

Is this true? I want to make sure being this is for a motorized bike instead of just a casual pedal cruiser.
Yes, radial lacing makes a much weaker wheel than conventionally crossed spokes with leading/trailing spokes. Cool for cruisers, not good for even hard pedaling, let alone motors. I have that same rear wheel runnermike just linked, the DH-39 rim is awesome. Big fat 12g spokes, and it really lets your rear tire spread out wide and cushy.

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Well some more progress. I don't weld but....I can do okay with a band saw, drill and tap set so here is what I have done so far regarding the engine mount.

By the way, the there are two vertical braces. The uncompleted one is laying on the table on the second to last picture.

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I recommend the DH39's as well. Super strong for the money. I have a set on my 2 stroke bike. They are not Worksman wheels for sure, but for the money they cannot be beat. Both wheels and a disc hub for the same price as my front worksman drum alone. The DH39's should pair well with your build since it is aluminum. Aluminum frame and wheels make a light and fast bike that handles great. Keep us updated...