nttn carb to speed carb

GoldenMotor.com

Shouldbeachevy

Mar 3, 2014
Calgary
I just got my speed carb in the mail today (ups guy should wear a santa suit) ... I was wondering the stock size of the jet in this carb and the size of the jet in the nttn carb... I also read that you can solder the main jet closed and re-drill the hole... I live in Calgary alberta and im 6000ft above sea level what do u guys think would be a good place to start?

ps. bone stock 66cc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I just got my speed carb in the mail today (ups guy should wear a santa suit) ... I was wondering the stock size of the jet in this carb and the size of the jet in the nttn carb... I also read that you can solder the main jet closed and re-drill the hole... I live in Calgary alberta and im 6000ft above sea level what do u guys think would be a good place to start?

ps. bone stock 66cc
I'm also at 6000MSL and I solder and drill my jets. I've found that somewhere between
.024 and .026 seem to give me the best fuel/air mix at this altitude. There are variables so you might need to experiment. I will add that I use Opti-2 oil at 100:1 and that has an influence on the jet size because of the lesser oil content. If you are using a standard 2 stroke oil and your ratio is higher you might need to adjust your jet size accordingly.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
100 to 1 really ... that sounds insane... what type of solder did you use... should I use flux to?
I use 50/50 lead based solder, NoCorode paste flux and a Weller electric soldering gun. The jet MUST be clean and free of any oil or other impurities before the solder will stick.
Small orifice drill sets are available from speciality tool supply outlets. I bought mine from Grainger.

100:1 oil/fuel ratio isn't that uncommon. here's a thread with lots of reading on that subject > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=9850

Tom