'50 Schwinn Panther Board Tracker

GoldenMotor.com

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
I agree sportscarpat, I will DEFINITELY hit you up for a tank and some other parts sometime after the holidays as this build progresses!

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Wheels and tires will probably be next, I'm thinking of going with Felt. I used to have a 2010 New Belgium Brewing cruiser and those wheels are very stout. I'd like to build up the bike first and get id dialed in, then start getting stuff for the motor....I want to motorize a good BIKE rather that build a bike around the motor, you know? Besides wheels and tires, everything is pretty incidental and shouldn't take TOO long, once the holidays have passed....

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Frame was waiting for me when I got home from work today, a little earlier than I expected! I'm VERY happy with it....I'll probably order new cups for the steer tube and bottom bracket soon, probably black so that brand new chrome won't clash too much with the aged paint. I'd love to use the originals but there's quite a bit of rust inside them. I'd also LOVE to find a correct Panther springer fork and Excelsior head badge in the next month or so and MAYBE have a rolling, rideable bike by February so I can get to the fun part!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That frame is going to become such a good friend.

Sometimes when I'm breaking things down, cleaning the old paint down to bare metal... I think about who owned this bike back in 1950. Was it a present for birthday or Christmas? Money earned from a paper route? And what was that first ride like? 1950... I would have been five years old.

And what would the previous owner who rode all over the place for years, adding dings and scratches... what would that kid think of your plans to give a motor??? Almost like a Whizzer or a real motorcycle? Wow!

So, when I'm working on my old stuff, making it into something new and different I never quite feel alone, almost like I've got my little shop buddy hanging out. These are time machines, you know, and yes they can make us 12 years old again!
SB

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
I agree completely....this bike is 28 years older than I am! My dad just turned 70 so he would've been a little too young/small for this, at least when it was brand new.

I'm loving the original paint and patina on this and I want to keep it that way....if it had some crappy rattle can (or brush) makeover I would strip it (and it would have been cheaper) but like old cars and guitars, they are only original once. I'd like to get a few more early 50s pieces like a crank and sprocket, gooseneck and bars as well. I'll also be on the lookout for a correct Panther fork to give the illusion that I started with a complete bike but I'd be happy with any pre-1970 AS chrome springer as well.

I guess a 10 year old in 1950 would be pretty stoked that his bike would still be around 63 years later, getting new life breathed into it....as they say if you wanna learn something new, pick up an old book!

Last edited:

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Just a mockup, there is ZERO grease in these bearings, but wanted to make sure there would be no surprises. I think I'll be able to use the bearings this set came with and really glad I can retain the "Schwinn" stamped cups....

Untitled by Nesto2008, on Flickr

Crank matches the kickstand ;-)

Untitled by Nesto2008, on Flickr

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Something to think about...you may have to bend those cranks outward to clear a china 2stroke and the same with a 4 stroke.

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
That's a nice looking chainwheel. The old bicycle makers made a feature of their chainwheels and some are lovely pieces of artwork in their own right.
Thanks, I would have LOVED to find a "sweetheart" chainring but it seems that they are are skip tooth, or WAY too expensive....as for the cloverleaf, my current Electra custom has one, and two other Electras I have owned have had them. Simple and timeless.

Octavio II by Nesto2008, on Flickr

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Something to think about...you may have to bend those cranks outward to clear a china 2stroke and the same with a 4 stroke.
I hadn't considered that when it comes to two strokes....As of now I'm building up a sweet rat bike using all the vintage stuff I can, it'll get motorized after a good shakedown since I want to have a good platform. If when I install the motor I find that the cranks are too narrow, guess I'll have to replace....fortunately this setup was pretty cheap. By the same token I'd LOVE to have some ratty old block pedals on here but I know that when the motor comes, I'll want something with GRIP, probably some modern BMX beartrap style.

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
I hadn't considered that when it comes to two strokes....As of now I'm building up a sweet rat bike using all the vintage stuff I can, it'll get motorized after a good shakedown since I want to have a good platform. If when I install the motor I find that the cranks are too narrow, guess I'll have to replace....fortunately this setup was pretty cheap. By the same token I'd LOVE to have some ratty old block pedals on here but I know that when the motor comes, I'll want something with GRIP, probably some modern BMX beartrap style.
Here is a great vedor for your pedals!! porkchopbmx.com they have a choice of 5 colors Black Silver Red Blue Orange. I used these & love them

later Dirtydnut

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Although I would have loved to find a springer with original black paint, I didn't want to pay collector prices since this definitely ain't a collector's bike! I found a nicely patina'd 50s Schwinn fork that had been repainted a time or two, the plan is to just strip the paint and run it bare metal which I think will look cool. After the holidays it's on to wheels....

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey Yomalope, Husky bicycles has a good slection of steel replacement wheeels, check out the 26" ones code #'s 500-222 is a rear coaster brake Shimano with 11 gauge spokes,,,,roughly $ 60 bucks. I bought one of the front drum brake wheel # 500-219 as well. A little more costly $109.00 Had no problems with either wheel, & had them for 5 years now. I re-pack & service the rear coaster wheel every 300- 400 miles with a high temp bearing grease. hope this helps

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Thanks that's good advice and a good price! I entertained the idea of selling this frame and finding something cheaper to work with, but now I think I'm gonna keep it and think I found a decent springer for it....wheels will be next. Thanks for the heads up on Husky!

Last edited:

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
FINALLY got ahold of a repop Phantom fork from eBay after barely being outbid on an old one....hoping to accumulate 64 years' worth of age and weathering on it to match the frame. Took it outside and dropped my car keys on it about 20 times and hosed it down....gonna try to keep spraying water on it because I know these new ones have cheap chrome. Finding the right fork was such a hurdle to getting rolling on this thing....

fork by Nesto2008, on Flickr

fork2 by Nesto2008, on Flickr

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Have you ever considered "pickling" your frame:p

Get it down to bare metal and you can use regular store bought vinegar for instant results. Just put it into a spray bottle and apply. Let it set in and you'll see it turn; keep applying till you get the results that you desire. (^)

Reactions: chainmaker