My "1900's tribute, build

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Regarding the spittoon which your headlight is not. I did some looking on ebay and they are not all that expensive with some variety in sizes and shape. Got me to thinking that I may make one sometime. Was picturing it on my 34 Elgin with a lens made with clear in the center, but stained glass around it... copper foil wrapped glass pieces soldered together. Kind of like an old Tiffany lamp shade. It would be a different head light for sure. Could be beautiful on an early bike with art deco lines. Or could just look weird, I guess. Only one way to find out for sure, though. Ha.

The mask/helmet is interesting. Made me think of the old Richard Nixon masks favored by bank robbers & other villains. Some layers of boat building type epoxy painted on would give it strength for some face protection. You'd get some looks when Nixon rode by on a motor bike, making an escape perhaps.
SB

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
When I first saw that picture, my reaction was, "I don't remember a moto cross in the planet of the apes?"
Silver Bear, you must have the heart of an artist... A Tiffany spittoon, what next?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
When I first saw that picture, my reaction was, "I don't remember a moto cross in the planet of the apes?"
Silver Bear, you must have the heart of an artist... A Tiffany spittoon, what next?
Yes, I guess a Tiffany spittoon would be a kind of union of opposites, something like with male and female maybe, but might result in a marriage made in headlight heaven.

...and as Nixon rides by on his escapade (good name for a motorbicycle) there could be a horn that was actually a tape recording blasting out "I am not a crook!" What a hoot!
SB

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Nice mask and goggles. All I need is the goggles huh SB? I do like your creativity with the headlamp Mr Pope.
Dan

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Thanks, Dan, the pix shows it "dummies-up" just to give an idea of how it will look. Plan substantial brackets upon completion of project.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish

Attachments

Last edited:

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
That blue winged unit would get you "shot at" here in Missouri. I'm thinking of buying a plain bike helmet from Wally and cover it in worn leather.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
As to your tiller style long pull back bars. I want the same on my B.T.R. convertable for when its in gentlemans cruiser mode but the prices for such bars are INSANE! What Im a Scheming on is modifing a set of old Cycle-Truck bars I picked up on ebay. Ill grind a piece of pipe to act as an inner stiffening support and have welded on a bout 4" of extension of 7/8 on the bars from a sacrifice handelbar set. I found a nice length of round, mild steel tubing at ACE Hwd. I'll measure it out and hammer the ends so I can slide the stem on and off and have it welded in place also. It will be powdercoated to match the bike in contrast to the chrome bars for race mode. Will end up costing bout $80 with welding costs as opposed to >>> $150 for POOR condition originals. Heres the Cycle truck bars I found on the "bay" http://www.ebay.com/itm/12108493264...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1011wt_1125

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
here are some pic's of handle bars from
www.custommotoredbicycle.com
1st is the set I bought at SpookyTooth for $15.oo I think with shipping it was $22.oo then I had Dan weld the 5" extensions these are featured on Big Black Jack
Customotorizedbicycles have a good and affordable selection

Attachments

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Yea, Velo, that's it. As truckd said, ones I saw had no cross brace (though that looks more vintage) I don't remember where I saw those, but it was a motorcycle site. Read somewhere chrome didn't come in till some time in 20's, nickel used prior.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I’m pretty sure those bars sold as Cycle-Truck are the same ones used by Schwinn on their 1960’s middle weights...

If not, then very close to it and very common- Hopefully inexpensive.

It’s easy to add a cross bar & extensions to those, it’s what I used on my bike.

-Kirk

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Mr B What did you use as clamps on your cross bars? Those look hefty and GOOD! Matterof fact the whole thing looks great! :) As far as the Cycle Truck bars I have are concerned I have no idea if they are actually off a C-T or not but the dont look like the ones you have there and not really like anything I've seen before. They are almost, kind of, sorta like the old rema horn drop bars from a 10 speed but Errr... Diffferent. I'll get some pictures up later this PM. Im late for and oil change on my car ( ( runs out of house! ) :eek: