Schwinn Panther build

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
The motor was available with electronic ign and points style. It was also available with a 6:1 gearbox which is prob what you saw.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Going to clean up the casting on the rod and enlarge the oil hole a little. Got a quote on a billet rod that was insanely expensive- so im going to try to make this the best it can be. The stock sling goes around 7k so im going to try to find one of those plastic ones for the 5 hp plus the last one i saw had an extra lip on it to sling more oil. Here is the rod before.

Attachments

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Just an update...nothing. Motor all put together but the electrics are shot- went through connections parts are around 150 clams. It was practically free so I'm going to use it to teach mini-me basic engine 101. I will pick up this thread when I find the Briggs I need.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Electronic gin. And igniter. Obscure Kawasaki parts all of them pricey and hard to find. Don't want to get any deeper into this motor $ wise just to get it running-right now I am ok with the 10 bucks or so I have in it.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Snagged a Briggs model 80202 3 hp. And also a nice pre-plastic cam for it which will allow me to have it ground. The motor isn't an I\C but it will allow me to build the motor and bike up until I can get the I/c .

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
My motor should be here this week, it should fit the bill perfectly. Ive got some things to work out with the motor transmission system. Here are the problems I am facing maybe someone can help.
The cast flywheel is going in favor of a billet aluminum
I need to be able to pedal start so I am on the hunt for a clutch with a one way bearing, or a way to modify a standard one as posted in a thread I cannot find. Does anyone have any insight on this?
I will be doing some mods when the motor gets here and will post a step by step. Here is the motor.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have no idea about the sizes of all the components, but would a semi automatic Honda motorcycle clutch assembly be any help? It's designed for that job, if not the actual engine.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I have no idea about the sizes of all the components, but would a semi automatic Honda motorcycle clutch assembly be any help? It's designed for that job, if not the actual engine.
Don't know anything about those they may, but I can't find any specs on it. I just got off the phone with Fred at Max Torque and they don't or can't make one his actual words were, " honestly I don't know how we would go about it"

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
New motor arrived today- NICE I've got a lot of chores to do for the Mrs. So I won't be able to crack it open til tomorrow.I've got to get the rod out and measure it and try tracking down a billet one with a dipper, shooting for a 1.7 to 1 ratio. From what I've read stock dippers end the party at 7k. The rod situation is what is going to determine the transmission, rear hub, and clutch that I'm going with. Ordered a set of 19 x 2.25 moped rims from Treatland been out of stock for a bit and they finally got some more.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Motor looks pretty nice inside. I'm still on the hunt for a billet rod, I did manage to win a bunch of nos Briggs stuff that I need but the best was a NOS Wesco 3hp JR dragster piston with a higher piston hole which will need a longer rod.. And that is the problem I'm having finding the billet rod, they are all too long and this gets me a little closer.
I had to make a decision and make some progress otherwise I would be in constant " hunting parts mode" so I ordered a motbecane av88 hub and a whizzer sheave.