Inspirational Pix

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Whooooaaa - there's ANOTHER spooky coincidence, I have spent most of my business life making COBRA, Jaguar and Porsche replicas !!

I retired in 2000 selling my moulds and jigs to a guy that was my agent in Germany. Even though I had my own business - I used to do a lot of consultancy work for Realm Engineering Ltd [ www.realmengineering.com. ] and liased with Carroll Shelby to finalise his personal endorsement of the RAM Cobra - the ONLY replica to have received Shelby's personal endorsement outside the US [ and only 1 there I think ]. I became friends with Shelby and after 5 years or so I was appointed the European Liaison Officer for his "European Transplant Trust" - set up to help underprivileged and kids to have organ transplants.

Since my retirement [ ha,ha ] I still carry out engineering design consultancy work for both the German guy and Realm. Any more coincidences from half way round the World ??

Here [ left ] shown with Carroll and the car we provided him with to use during the Innes Ireland memorial Rally [ NEC - Silverstone ]. He also used the car at Le Mans for his 35th. Anniversary celebrations doing several laps before the start of the race - with me trying to keep up in one of our RACE Cobras with a French TV cameraman aboard.

Cool, I have a Factory Five Racing MK1 Cobra myself. Love the car, hence my handle....

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
Since has turned into a Cobra replica thread does anyone know of a “AC 289” kit?

-Kirk
Kirk,

there was a beautifully crafted kit here in the UK in the early days of replicas made by Gerry Hawkridge.

Gerry was one of the industry's true engineers and turned out some great reps - including the Lancia Stratos. Not sure what happened - rumour was he bailed out when AC started throwing their weight around.

One of my customers bought one as we only did 427 reps. We did quite a lot of work on it upgrading the engine from Rover to a Small Block Chevy. It was very nicely put together and detailed. I got involved on behalf of Shelby here in the UK - the subsequent litigations and counter litigations between Ford / Shelby and AC must have kept a small army of solicitors rolling in money for years !

However, the car - or very similar is now made by BRA Cars here in the UK. Not sure where they are as I've been retired from the industry for 10 years - but I'm sure a Google will find them.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
What a great family photo.

Here's one I hope you guys are inspired to solve the make of. The people on the bike are my uncle Doug and my mother at 17. She will be 101 at Christmas. Photo was taken in Hampton in Arden outside of Birmingham in 1928.
Mom can't think of the name but she believes the bike wasn't made for many years but that is no sure thing.

Bike wasn't around long after Granddad talked Grandma into a ride and they took an inpromtu trip through the ditch. A few hours for Grandad at the local pub up the road weighed pretty heavy on the trip according to Mom.
Any help would be great. We never thought to ask our Granddad what it was when we were kids.

Please click on the photo to enlarge it.

Steve.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Here's one I'd like to add...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/03/10/rambler-inline-4-from-cook-customs/

Inline 4 cyclinder concept like a Indian 4 or a Henderson...

-Kirk
yes, I've been thinking along similar lines [ no pun intended ] - in line 4cyl Reliant engine. All alloy, very light, has it's own compact gearbox and is very tuneable - if that's what you want. Some have been used in Indian style Trikes and with the right accessories look sufficiently "period".
I have a pal who has just bought a Reliant 4 wheeler with such an engine. He is intending to use the rolling chassis [ and more important - identity ] under a GRP sports body - but with a Hayabusa engine ! I've asked for the loan and first refusal on buying the power train - just in case !

However, that said - I came across a modern 'ish V Twin engine the other day which has definite chances. Looked old fashioned when it was new !

It's the Moto-Morini in 350cc or 500cc guise. Looks like barrel and head fins could be nicely rounded off to give a more period look and due to the Heron head arangement - the exhaust outlets also look period ! Very compact and lightweight .........hhhmmm.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I wonder if you can build a single with a lay back cylinder. Beach will know, others might, there were single cylinder verions with the engine leaning forward. Could you blank off the front of a twin to make a reverse sloper like an early Indian?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
While I think, do you know about the Yellow Top engines? Factory built, only 147 made. Yellow rocker cover, warmer (less cold) camshaft and one number up on compression. They really don't like modern juice at all, but given that the standard 850 could (allegedly) take a Pig along a test track much resembling the M42 at 100 showing, and hatchbacks getting in the way in the outside lane and the pedal wasn't all the way down, the claimed 115 isn't the exaggeration you might think. See if you can get one.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Mind you, it was loud. Allegedly. And the tops of the doors were bent out by the airflow so you could see the sky. So I've heard.

Those drum brakes really overheated quickly.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
I wonder if you can build a single with a lay back cylinder. Beach will know, others might, there were single cylinder verions with the engine leaning forward. Could you blank off the front of a twin to make a reverse sloper like an early Indian?
Coincidentally I've been sorting through all my old M/C mags today. Couldn't give them away so I've had a major cull.
However, before junking them I flicked through to see if there were any articles I wanted to keep.

Needless to say within a couple of hours of binning them I needed to check on a couple of articles [ Moto-Morini ] that I KNEW I'd thrown away !!!

Anyway - yes, there were at least 2 rearward sloping singles in the articles. If it's not monsooning or snowing tomorrow I'll try to retreive them and have a look through - again.

Morini bikes - so I'm assuming engines - have gone through the roof since I last had one [ 10 years go ]. I gave £300 for a cosmetically challenged but running 350. Seem to be at least 5 or 6 times that now.

My pal [ with the Kitten donor ] used to race in the 750 Formula using Reliant engines - they were mighty quick.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
We're supposed to be in some sort of depression, well, if that's the case, why do the prices in Classic Bike Guide look like mortgages? Would you, in all seriousness, pay £2,000 for a James 98cc 2 stroke?

Get ye hence, in a vigorous and reciprocating motion.

PS, got a serious gravitational problem with the mass of Motorcycle Sport and Bike from years ago.