Cafe Creme - my Boardtracker project.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm thinking an XV could convert fairly simply. A pair of curved tubes of appropriate metal and section from the rear spindle up to the top shock mount, amputate the monoshock metal on the swing arm. Change to skinnier rims, front and back? Forks and brakes, for a road bike, leave them standard and in good order. The XV may well be "slow and outdated" in journalist terms, in the real worl, it will still hurl you forwards at a fair old rate.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
I'm thinking an XV could convert fairly simply. A pair of curved tubes of appropriate metal and section from the rear spindle up to the top shock mount, amputate the monoshock metal on the swing arm. Change to skinnier rims, front and back? Forks and brakes, for a road bike, leave them standard and in good order. The XV may well be "slow and outdated" in journalist terms, in the real worl, it will still hurl you forwards at a fair old rate.
Yes that's essentially the scheme for the frame / forks / brakes. Except that I'll continue the backbone member over to the headstock [ similar to the "Voodoo" frame pictured sonewhere ] so that I can integrate the La Francaise Diamant tank.

Wheels are XS650 wire spoked - pretty narrow and with the right tyres, shouldn't look too bad. Still undecided about the front brake. Rear will be the stock XS650 drum - front either a 2LS drum or the stock TR1 disc setup. Looks vs self preservation !!

My Cafe Racer TR1 with nearly 70 lbs of unwanted weight removed is pretty rapid in 1960's terms !

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
We live in a country with a 70 limit and a lot of narow, twisty roads with lower limits. How much performance is "enough"?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You can't scare me. I'm a sidecar pasenger. I'm not clever enough to be scared.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
You can't scare me. I'm a sidecar pasenger. I'm not clever enough to be scared.
I had SEVERAL sidecar passengers when I raced in the sixties. If they weren't scared occasionally - I certainly was !

That said and joking apart - I rarely ride over 60 -70 these days anyway.

Even when I'm in Saxony I rarely exceed 100 mph on the autobahns, and feel like I'm standing still when some folk come past me.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I passengered cheap and small engined outfits with Moped Mayhem. A Honda 90 kneeler doesn't sound much until you've done a 1hr race on an 80deg day round somewhere twistier than a twisty kart circuit.

Did you ever meet a bloke called Ernie Sheldon?

halfpint

May 8, 2011
Western Australia
Hi there Beachcomber and Ludwig II Keith Turney a old pom from Portsmouth here I now live in Narrogin Western Australia I am Ex Brit Army R.E.M.E. I have built a bike over here but the cops are clamping down on them so cant ride it now but I do sneek it out eary on a sunday morning to get the paper. I also have a Track T hot rod on the road and am building a ford 34 Pick up for the wife and the other car that I am building is a clone of Nick Butler`s REVENGE I have the only body to leave the U.K. so will be great fun when built. Looking foward to reading about your build it looks like fun. All the best and keep building cheers Keith.:-||

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What in the name of fup almighty is going on with Oz? We're used to rules, I think we're meant to have rules, but Oz? Godzone Country?

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Hi there Beachcomber and Ludwig II Keith Turney a old pom from Portsmouth here I now live in Narrogin Western Australia I am Ex Brit Army R.E.M.E. I have built a bike over here but the cops are clamping down on them so cant ride it now but I do sneek it out eary on a sunday morning to get the paper. I also have a Track T hot rod on the road and am building a ford 34 Pick up for the wife and the other car that I am building is a clone of Nick Butler`s REVENGE I have the only body to leave the U.K. so will be great fun when built. Looking foward to reading about your build it looks like fun. All the best and keep building cheers Keith.:-||

Wow, small World. I used to be in the Drag Race / Custom Car / Hot Rod business in the 70's and 80's and knew Nick Butler well. In fact one of his early shells came up to me at my business "Muscle City" to have some work and parts. A local [ to me ] guy owned it [ name fade ] and he went on to make a very good living taking the car to shows around Europe.

I designed and manufactured a '27 Track T kit in the 70's - the "Mongoose" - here's my prototype with Pinto engine, but we later went on to sell modified chassis' for the Rover [ nee Buick ] V8. It was only 15 years ago that I finally sold the moulds off - damn, should have kept a body !

NO, the name Eric Sheldon doesn't ring any bells Ludwig.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Ernie might have retired or been racing different tracks by the time you started. It's reckoned he was the first person in Britain, if not the world, to fit disc brakes to a motorcycle. Manx Norton kneeler with Jag discs.

In his later years he tuned 2 strokes for his sones, and produced a super hot snot CB50 derivative (read as the only Honda part on it was the clutch casing).

And you'd know, what IS the plural of mongoose?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Yoy'l be telling me next you know Cliff "Donny Custom Show" Moore. He's still got that terrible habit of his. Breathing.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Here's a pic of the Grimeca 4LS front hub / brake for my Vindicator Cafe Racer.

My pal managed to buy the last two before the company went into liquidation. I bought this one from him last year...... he's just offered me the other........oh dear another re-mortgage coming on.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Stop it! That's rude! Mind you, I did see an 8ls on a Kettle once. 3" spokes.

halfpint

May 8, 2011
Western Australia
Hi there yes I was faily pissed when I was told that I could not ride my bike but it only cost $200 I got the frame from the tip and a mate has a tube bender so we made up the drop loop then welded that in then modified the top tube. I now plane to make a mounting frame to go on the front of my tear drop camper so I can take it with me and ride it around the camp sites. Beachcomber that is some car I will send you a P.M. on cars as this is a bike site. All the best Keith