MotoMagz 5 speed Roadmaster

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
4g shift kit 4 to 1 to a solid 10t.(It has the Cobrafreak bearing conversion)
Shift kit 17t to 10t to 48t to a 25t Sturmey 5 speed drum
Rims 12 guage 70 rear drum 90 front drum Sturmey
Hookworm 2.75 tires
Suzuki Forks with a custom 1000 lumen headlight(rear light is a 5w led)
Nos 50's pedals
Roadmaster 26 inch frame with a custome tank
Lucky 7 seatpost with a Gyes leather seat
I did the paint myself and I'm pretty happy with the results
Hueshang 49cc with a custume baffle and wrap
SPB throttle with Motorcycle brake levers and wrapped the bars with tape for grips

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Another beautiful looking bike. I really like the style of your bikes, your light green bike is definitely one of my all time favourites. Nice work!!!!!!!

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
That is the bomb, very sweet. Is worthy of more pics. Could you please give a few more specifics on your tank construction and paint. Very nice and thanks for sharing. Skitch

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Thanx everyone,This is by far the best set up I have put together with the 4G and shift kit.I have plenty of low end and alot of top end.I think this one might do 42-44 mph.It is not all about the speed I just want to be able to use all 5 gears if need be.Which is sometimes hard to do with a shift kit and more than 3 gears or speeds.I had the tank made by a buddy it is removable.More pix.....

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's a nice looking ride! I like your paint work and the lines of the tank. The Suzuki fork is a good choice. How did you make the Sturmey axle fit the extra wide fork? Are you happy with the big front dynamo? What length spokes did you use to lace it up? I ask because I'm planning to use the same hub on my Elgin build. I'm also using SBP shift kit parts and a Sturmey Archer 3 speed rear hub.

I would think this would make for a great ride. What are your impressions now that the bike is done?
SB

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
SU EEET! Nice ride ! Can we have some closeups of the headlight / forks? I also love the paintjob. Do you plan to paint the motor trans to match?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Awesome build! You did an excellent job on that paint.

Your gearing threw me off a bit til I realized you had a 4:1 4G! I set mine up with a 30T originally and the gearing was way too low.

Someday I gotta upgrade my hubs to what you're running. My 70MM front drum is inadequate and I could use the extra 2 gears that your 5-speed has.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
That's a nice looking ride! I like your paint work and the lines of the tank. The Suzuki fork is a good choice. How did you make the Sturmey axle fit the extra wide fork? Are you happy with the big front dynamo? What length spokes did you use to lace it up? I ask because I'm planning to use the same hub on my Elgin build. I'm also using SBP shift kit parts and a Sturmey Archer 3 speed rear hub.

I would think this would make for a great ride. What are your impressions now that the bike is done?
SB
Thanx everyone the ride is flawless with the sturmey rear hub and the SBPshift kit.Big difference from the derailluer and all the surging that comes with it.I might paint trans and motor not sure yet.As for the front sturmey hub mine is a 90mm drum no dyno.I just swapped out the axle for a 10mm(Thanx Scotto)and added some10mm axle spacers.
the fork is awsome.I have had every type of fork but this one is by far the best all around fork I have had.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
What is your opinion on the Liffen engine, in general I've heard alot about them both pro's & con's of eqaulity and was thinking about a future build with the Liffen 125/200 tell me everthing you know and have learned.
very curious!!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I wonder where Scotto came up with the longer axle for the Sturmey Archer hub. My only complaint regarding the K-10 fork is the wider legs requiring a longer axle. Wish they were easily available as I have two more of those forks to find axles for.
I'm glad to hear how happy you are with the ride. Well done, sir.
SB

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Yes, front 90mm drum axleand I bought the 10mm spacers off Ebay.As for spoke length I do not remember but this is the spoke calculator is the most user friendly http://spokelength.com/
I'm just learning about all this stuff; I was directed to this thread by motorbicycleracing as I am very interested in using the Suzuki fork on my new Dyno Glide build.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40905

I looked at the specs for the 90mm SA drum hub and it says the axle diameter is 9mm, not the 10mm axle shown in the linked ebay auction? Which is correct? The spec on the BMI website says a 0.39" axle hole, which is 9.9mm. This makes me think that without reaming, a 10mm axle would not fit.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I'm just learning about all this stuff; I was directed to this thread by motorbicycleracing as I am very interested in using the Suzuki fork on my new Dyno Glide build.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40905

I looked at the specs for the 90mm SA drum hub and it says the axle diameter is 9mm, not the 10mm axle shown in the linked ebay auction? Which is correct? The spec on the BMI website says a 0.39" axle hole, which is 9.9mm. This makes me think that without reaming, a 10mm axle would not fit.
The Sturmet axle is 9mm but it jumps up to 10mm inside the hub.This 10mm section is what goes through the sealed bearings inside the hub.So when you use a 10mm axle it works perfect.You will have to drill out the spacers from the original axle to 10mm.Not a big deal at all just get a good drill bit and put the spacers one at a time into a vise and drill.It will fit the fork also but you might want to cut out one of the fork legs so you can take the wheel on and off eaiser.