My first engine sale to an 84 year old

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Here is a 1950's schwinn this 84 year old is turning motorized. This was my first engine sale. Look at the rear wheel closely and look at how he cut the sprocket to fit the disk brake hub and then attached with his own metal rods to the rim.

He has got some tweaking to do and some painting but it is fun watching him go wild :) He is pictured in one photo.

More pics to come soon as he moves forward..

Attachments

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Disc brake hub?

dnut
Well it is two brake pads and when pulling the lever it pushes out against the hub. Not sure if ya call that a disc brake or not... But first one I ever saw.. maybe a drum brake...

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well it is two brake pads and when pulling the lever it pushes out against the hub. Not sure if ya call that a disc brake or not... But first one I ever saw.. maybe a drum brake...
Yeah I'm thinkin more in the line of a drum brake, from what I can see. A little hard to tell from the pics.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah fugit, it's a drum. I've got one a lot like it in the "pile-O-wheels" I have in my shop. (Right next to my "pile-O-frames".)
fatdaddy.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
"U.S.A Built Motorized Bicycle Kits"
Huh??? Ain't Honda made in Japan? Or do they have a U.S. factory? Anyway, It's still a Japanese product. (Ain't it?)
fatdaddy.
My '96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE was assembled at the Honda plant in Ohio.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
where something is assembled and where something is manufactured are 2 different things.
manufactured in japan, assembled in Ohio.
Exactly dragray. Those are two entirely different things. Just because it's assembled here don't make it a U.S. product.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Exactly dragray. Those are two entirely different things. Just because it's assembled here don't make it a U.S. product.
fatdaddy.
I know that all Hondas are Japanese products. I'm just glad that they have assembly plants here. Gives us some jobs and money to spend here.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Note the five steel straps bolted from rim to engine sprocket, for extra strength.

Thoughts?

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
How'd you get that thick chain to fit in that tight space
I am not building bike he is. I will take pictures as he gets done and post. I will also ask him questions. He isnt very good on computers at all being 84 years old. He actually still works driving his own dump truck too :) Hope I am so active at 84 :)

I just thought his ideas and build was interesting so I would post it here for him and us to see.

Note the five steel straps bolted from rim to engine sprocket, for extra strength.

Thoughts?
haha right, this is the idea he had all along before making a decision on the motor as to how he was going to attach the sprocket. I cant wait to see the final result. And, who knows what he will run into as the build evolves - we will see :)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I know that all Hondas are Japanese products. I'm just glad that they have assembly plants here. Gives us some jobs and money to spend here.
Yer right wayne, we need all the jobs we can get in the U.S., But ya gotta realize that most of the REAL money goes back to Japan.
fatdaddy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Follow the money. It might be assembled here but watch where the profits go. It's Japanese and calling it otherwise is misleading and false advertising.

Back to the topic of this thread. I want to see the finished product with the man riding it. That is inspiring and interesting. Thanks for posting it, Fugit.

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Thanks 2door, Yer right. this thread is about a very cool bike and a very cool old guy putting it together. It just kinda irritated me when I went to his ad to look at a U.S. built kit and saw Honda this and Honda that. It just aint right and I had to say so. But, like you said, back to the bike.
It looks like the dude is taking his time and trying to do it right. It's gonna be a sweet bike when he's done. It makes me want to pull that old drum brake wheel out of my pile and really check it out for my next build. I wish the best of luck to the guy on his build. I don't think he's gonna need any luck though, Looks like he's got it all under control.
fatdaddy.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Those home-made spokes worry me. It's not how they look or even how they're mounted, it's that they're perpendicular to the rim and sprocket aka radial. They are going to twist back-n-forth. Not a good idea by any means.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep I was looking and if its not welded to the hub,they need a second bolt inboard coleser to the hub to keep it from flexing................Curt

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yep I was looking and if its not welded to the hub,they need a second bolt inboard coleser to the hub to keep it from flexing................Curt
You're right. Slightly longer straps with 2 bolts as far apart as possible there.

Or maybe some triangulation bracing added with some short pieces of strapping .

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Do you guys mean you think the rim will flex while tension is put on the sprocket by the motor?

Those metal spokes he made are very hard and durable steel.

I expect to see him again this week and will pass along any ideas or concerns you have for him.

I may in fact be the guinea pig that test rides it too :)