Motorized Bike on Mecum Auto Auction Show

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The china girl motorized beach cruiser was in the bed of a 41 chevy pickup that was up for auction. The motor bike was in the bed throughout the bidding on stage.
Velocity Channel also airs Mecum motorcycle auctions. I watched one on Wed night that was full of a lot of vintage motorcycles from 1916 to the mid 1960s. I want one of those BSA singles.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I was watching a Mecum auction the other night, I usually don't watch them as they usually show cars don't they? And while I like cars, those auctions get a little boring IMO, but the other night I caught the last 1/2 hour and they had a 30's Indian, a Harley from the 40's and some European bike that was quite nice..... But they paled in comparison to a 2 seater Henderson. They even started it up :) the bidding got to $200,000 but I can't recall if it made reserve or not. Never the less it was a truly gorgeous machine.

I think I will watch out for these auctions more often

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The two seat Henderson was something I had never seen before. Mecum is primarily an auto auction. That was the first time I had seen vintage motorcycles on Mecum. Some of those motorcycles were really affordable.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The two seat Henderson was something I had never seen before. Mecum is primarily an auto auction. That was the first time I had seen vintage motorcycles on Mecum. Some of those motorcycles were really affordable.
So we must have been watching the same show, weird considering we are in different countries, it was also the first time id seen motorcycles also. Ill definitely be watching from now on.

And yeah, that Henderson was sooooo cool. Although it would have been weird to have your passenger in front of you, and their feet on the front axle.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
When I had speed channel (aka NASCAR channel), I would watch their coverage of the annual Las Vegas motorcycle auction. The LV auction had so many cool pre-war motorcycles. Speed channel is part of a high dollar package these days in my area, so I no longer get it. i miss watching Moto GP on Speed channel.
We are quite a distance apart Harry. I visited much of the pacific in 1989 (Phillipines, Thailand, Korea, etc), but never made it down under. It's on my list.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I watched the Mecum auction on the Discovery Turbo channel on Foxtel pay tv. Sadly they dont show all that many motorcycle shows. I reluctantly watch American Chopper mainly because a lack of more quality programming.

I absolutely loved "The Biker Build Off" series, i really wish they still made that show, then there was "Build or Bust" where "amateur" builders were invited on the show and had to build a bike in a certain timeframe, and if they could do it, theyd keep the bike. That was an OK show but didnt last long.

Youd think with all the people into bikes theyd have more shows :-(

I remember hearing an interesting story about American Chopper, supposedly the producers initially planned a more talented builder to do the show and it was going to focus more on the bikes, but at the last minute the producers heard about the Teutels and their family fighting and decided to go with them and focus more on that then the bikes. Shame really, ive got nothing against the Teutels and their success but sometimes i wonder would have been had they not been picked.

And sadly ive never been overseas :-(

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
While i was typing the above post, i heard an ad on the TV for a new series on the Discovery Channel "Salvage Hunters" and looks a little like American Pickers but looks like it focuses more on auto related items. Im gonna watch that. Tuesdays 8:30 on the Discovery channel.... not sure it would be the same for you guys over there but thought id let you know

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
i thought the biker buildoffs were great too. The two bike shops are are bitter competitors until they meet and ride together to the event for the judging. At that point, they just become two guys that love bikes and help each other out.
I remember the biker buildoff that included the late Indian Larry. His competitor would have never made it to the event if Indian Larry hadn't help him dial in his dual carb setup. Indian Larry went on to lose that biker buildoff, but had a lot of fun.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I recall the episode where Indian Larry won but say nobody deserves to win or lose and cut the trophy up and gave parts to the crowd. Man i loved that guy, he sorely missed.

In fact it was an episode of Biker Build Off where Indian Larry lost his life....... Indian Larry made me rethink my taste in bikes. Until i saw his bikes i was into more of the ultra-clean, hide everything style bike...... but he swayed me more to his style of bike, as he put it he likes to see the "mechanicalness" of a bike. He made every part of the bike a piece of art. I thank him for changing my tastes...... now i cant stand the pro street style bikes i once liked.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
My uncle has a Henderson he still rides once in a while. I have tried to get it but no go. It is beat up, burns your pant leg off from no exhaust sys but hey ugly and big. Three speed shift on a shifter on left side, foot clutch, right foot brake and smoke. Got to love it. gphil