Ten Rules

GoldenMotor.com

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
My Ten Rules My Daughter's Boyfriend Knows
These Rules are for Entertainment Only "or are they"

Rule One:
If you pull into my driveway and honk your horn, you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two:
You do not touch my daughter in front of me, You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below the neck. If you can not keep your eyes or hands off my daughter, I will remove them.

Rule Three:
I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not in fact come off during the course of you date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely to your waist.

Rule Four:
I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilising a "barrier method" of some can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five:
It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is "early".

Rule Six:
I have no doubt that you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven:
As long as you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more then an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for a movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer then painting the Golden Gate Bridge.

Rule Eight:
The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer then a wooden stool. Places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight. Places where there is darkness. Places where there dancing, holding hands or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other then overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine:
Do not lie to me, I may appear to be a pot-bellied, balding, middle-aged, dim-witted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, an five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me.

Rule Ten:
Be afraid, Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you. That brought back some memories.

One of them being Jack Stevens former WW2 British Commando and my first girlfriends Dad, which makes me wonder if you two are in anyway related?

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pap, you made me laugh. Thanks.
Nevertheless, something doesn't jive. First of all if the photo is current, you aren't old enough to be a Viet Vet. If in fact you are, how in the name of heaven can you have a daughter young enough to date boys who wear their pants around their knees?

My daughter is 40+ and she hasn't asked for my permission to do anything for longer than I can remember. Her husband is retired Air Force and so is she.

See what I'm getting at? You must have been about eight or nine when you were humpin' the boonies. :)
Just kidding, you know that.
Tom

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When In high school in the sixties my girl friends father was a korean war vet. He had a .30 cal carbine over the fire place. He said to me the first date. I kill ten men with that rifle and none of them touched my daughter. That was all he said, but I got the point;

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
No Tom, I'm not a Vietnam Vet, I was born on Veterans Day 1961 at Ft.Benjamen in Indianapolis, and didn't enlist until 1978, my daughter is 20 years old, she has two older brothers 31 and 29 and a younger brother 18. I'll be 50 this November, but I feel like I'm 80.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
The list itself was a good hoot. But the Vet's (grand)daughter(s) knows where the landmines are, heh heh. Aww the good girls know where to go...back do Dad! :good games. if he's worthy, he can disarm the charges at her window, lol...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pap, if you're a reader, try Nelson DeMille's 'Up Country' and if you're a movie fan, watch 'Forest Gump'. Those will bring back some memories. :)
Forest Gump: "One day it started to rain and it didn't stop for four months". That line always makes me laugh.

And,your ten still made me laugh. Thanks for posting.
Tom

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Glad you liked it, My daughter brought it home one day, I have no idea where she got it from.

Run Forest Run... I love that movie...lol

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I showed this thread to my daughter (she is 31)
all she said was,,,does this guy know you ???

,,,I had an aluminum bat (badly dented and red paint splotches all over the fat end) right beside the front door,,,and I did take it to one that was stupid enough to insult her in front of me;)

thanks Pappy :)

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Hey, We gota do what we gota do rite.....lol

We are guys, and was once young too... So we know how they operate these days. :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Heheheh. I like, Pappy. I do. Having four young daughters whom I treasure beyond anything on earth, I find myself sympathizing whole heartedly.

They're all grade school age right now. And already I have one who's become the popular girl at school. I've got bold little boys coming to the door asking if she can come out and play. As a mere coincidence I keep my crossbows mounted high up on a living room wall in plain sight. When these boys become teenagers, I wonder if they'll notice them and deduce that I mean business.

Later in life, my daughters will learn that there are conditions to allowing them to date. The primary one is that I must know the boy's birth name. I am a former PI, and still can be talked into working freelance. If he has a record, it's a definite no-go (mostly because if he's ever been on probation, I may already know him and that would be a conflict of interest). I do have a lie-detector that I can patch into a phone line. With a small bit of cash, I can pick up some gadgets and GPS track that boy's hopped up gas guzzler. An upstanding (and smart) young gentleman will know not to lie to me, or go anywhere outside of the destinations mentioned to me. In this way, he may continue to date one of my daughters.

Stray from the path, though, and...well, I can always arrange a surprise pick-up for my daughters. Can't guarantee that boyfriend's old rust-bucket'll start though. You know how those clunkers can get. ;)

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
A friend of mine a few years ago outlined the "first-date/picking up his daughter" conversation.. He would invite the boy in to sit down at the table while waiting for her to be ready. While holding eye contact with the boy (and if he couldn't keep eye contact he was sent on his way) "Rob" we'll call him would let his hands casually wander across the table collecting bits and pieces. Without breaking eye contact, within ten minutes he would have his .45 semi-auto (service pistol) reassembled and ready to be loaded.

Failing the eye contact test while answering questions about the date was a fail.

Not addressing him as "Captain" (last name here) at the end of the conversation was also a fail.

He was a good guy, and I never looked twice at his daughter (she was a bit young for me then anyway).