How to protect spark plug + ignition from elements?

GoldenMotor.com

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
I'm aware that riding in rain can be bad if any water comes into contact with the spark plug or ignition box, correct? I also read a a thread about flooding of the bottom of where the spark plug is connected (something like that) and that it will prevent the MB from starting up.

Please look @ attached pic. See the spark plug and ignition box @ top right?

Since the tank cap supposedly has a space where air is allowed in in order to avoid a vacuum, I can't drape something over the fuel tank and cover the part where the spark plug is connected. I was hoping to do something like a medium sized towel with an industrial black garbage bag flattened and not yet opened, stapled to the towel (neatly) and keep the towel side down. That way, the rain drops could slide off the garbage bag on top. But since you can't cover the top of the fuel tank or the cap - what is another solution? I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, since I would only ride it until I can take shelter underneath something, or get home if I'm close enough.

I said I would avoid riding in the rain at all costs, but you never know with this crazy weather lately. I could easily carry this towel/garbage bag cover in my book bag, which is always with me when I'm on my MB!

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
TBH I ride in all kindsa weather, pouring rain is ofc my least favorite - but neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed roun...

no wait... that's the post office o_O I'm jus' commuting lol

Anyway, there's really not much to worry about - while replacing the spark plug cap w/a quality one is a good idea, that's mostly b'cause the stock one falls apart & not so much problems w/water - the CDI is sealed as is the magneto's cover (mostly, might wanna chk the case gasket & grommet, a dab of sealant may be needed) which leaves only the wiring. The connections themselves are usually fine even if just taped, but I prefer soldering them w/a bit of heat shrink tubing over them, but again - that's mostly for secure connections more than anything else.

The only issue you may have while riding in the wet is ingesting water through the carby & even that usually isn't a problem w/the stock air filter cover - I've had some small issue w/the aftermarket "K&N" style filter as it's completely exposed, but once I put a full rear fender on that bike even that stopped being a problem.

While even the gas cap isn't usually a problem as it's actually quite unlikely that the water could enter - there is a bit an issue with ethanol as it does "attract" water, even from ambient humidity. While this does take time and simply riding in the rain is unlikely to accumulate enough to be of consequence, it's something to be aware of if you store your bike outside, covered or not. If this is a concern it's easy enough to resolve - as water, even with phase separated ethanol is heavier than gasoline, if you suspect fuel contamination you can jus' drain a bit out using the float bowl's drain screw as it's the lowest point in the system. You can check for water contamination by draining into a clear glass jar - any water will be clearly visible as lil "beads" (easier to see from under the jar) and phase separated fuel will look like a milky layer - here's some extreme examples w/a water layer on left & phase separation on right;

http://http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29148

So all in all other than some basic maintenance & awareness of potential ethanol issues, there's nothin' to worry about - gettin' caught in the rain kinda suks, but the motor doesn't care lol, tho I've noticed that if ya wanna prevent rain - just remember to bring yer rubber pants as it seems to only pour when I forgets my gear :p

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Wow, that was a heck of a response! I will take your advice about the sealing and also about wearing some rubber pants or a big poncho of some sort.

And btw, as a temporary solution, what do you think about that towel/industrial garbage back idea I posted above? Would it be ok to use for 5-10 minutes without affecting anything? Remember, just to cover the sparky, CDI, and tank cap/cover.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Covering the tank while riding? I don't think it's needful at all TBH, I've ridden in some crazy downpours for hours w/o a problem w/the stock gas cap etc. and never had an issue... if ya hafta store your bike outside it couldn't hurt to cover it tho *shrug*

...and I dunno about a poncho lol, I'd reco a waterproof jacket 'cause of the chain/wheel hazard. That whole superhero & cape problem again heh ;)

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Lmao, picturing that just made me crack up. I suppose you're right, not a good idea. I store my MB down in the basement in storage, and behind a heavy duty lock. I live in an apartment building - gotta protect my investment! But it won't need anything draped over it down there. It's just that I dread getting a *single* drop into the gas tank!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Wel, there's an old ultralight aircraft "trick" that might be handy if yer that worried, tho I've used it in the past w/such I've not bothered w/my MBs as it's not that problematic...

Take a small T fitting and add it to the lowest part of your fuel line w/about a minimum of a 4-6" section of clear line attached to the extra barbed fitting (pointed down ofc), cap the trailing end or ifn ya wanna get fancy - add another petcock to the very end. As the fuel passes this "extra" line, any water will divert to the dead-end line as it's ofc heavier. If you see any accumulated water/debris you can simply drain a bit out & rid yourself of the nasty...

...but again, while a commonplace precaution on aircraft it may well be "overkill" with this application, a little water frm time to time won't really hurt anything with our motors, it'll at most cause a temporary sputter *shrug* Even the ethanol issue is mostly a problem stemming frm prolonged storage (month plus)...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Another solution that's far more difficult as it requires some srs modification and/or a custom tank is a sediment/water trap filter... usually used on "boardtrackers" due to it's vintage appearance - I'm not recommending it so much as jus' mentioning it as I dearly love it on my ol' 40's Rollfast;

It's roughly 11 bucks at NAPA (part# 7-02350) - but it'll look srsly out of place on most builds & it's a bit large & heavy *shrug* Jus' figured I'd throw it out there lol - it's not needful at all ;)