cans

GoldenMotor.com

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I'm so excited about can collecting, I've started going through 5 cases of Miller a week. Self fulfilling don't you think.

The downside is, I'm having trouble standing. Must be an inner problem.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
the carts here have no sensors, you must use a coin or a plastic chip to disengage from each other, they are connected together with a chain. Some people go shopping and take the carts at home, because they are too lazy to carry things with their hands.
So you can find these carts all around. But only in some districts....:p
These cans are hard to find, because the most of our drinks and beverages are only available in plastic- and glassbottles. The bottle deposit (right?) is sometimes a little high, so no one throws them away.
Also there is only beer in cans, and there is no deposit for cans.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
No deposit in Florida. I guess that is why there are so many on the side of the road.

The sheriff takes van loads of people serving jail time around and they clean up the sides of the roads.

Plenty of them ! :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Speaking as a formally, normally impaired person, is just easier to say "Bud Please" snicker, snork

Ya guys got me thinking. If the price paid for aluminum is more then the 5 cents, could put out receptacles and remote, maned stations to collect from Can guys. Put a pick-up and a guy out there. Located conveniently for the folks who collect on bicycles and with shopping carts to redeem. Could even pay them by the pound so any aluminum found could be redeemed. Just another weird biz idea I will never get around to and will spend to much time thinking about.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Just an aside. I always find TV shows that run after nine on one of the rebroadcast sites the next day or so. Last night I watched the Friday night TV show blue bloods. They had a bit about a guy in NY who collected cans to buy beer and a bagel. He redeemed them at what looked like a convenience store. Here you have to take them to a recycle center to get paid.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
In CT, any store that sells a returnable can or bottle also has to take it back and redeem the deposit. Some small stores did not like this when it first started. Storage and more work for them. Now there are machines at super markets where you stick the cans or bottles in. It turns it and laser reads the bar code. It then smashes the can or bottle. When done, it prints out a receipt that you bring up to the service desk and they give you cash. When I was still drinking, carol called redeeming beer cans as "Your college Fund"

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I hit the jackpot !

There is a place at the interstate exit where people hold signs asking for money.

People give them money and they buy beer and a crack rock and hide and smoke it and drink the beers.

There are 100s of cans down there ! ! !

Be careful though, some have little holes in them and have been used for crack pipes.

I leave those.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I thought I knew my way around. Lived here since the 80s.

I am going down roads I never knew were there and people are waving and saying hi ! ! ! :)

Yesterday I had more females smile at me and say hi than in any other day in my life !

And folks let me tell you this, if women are smiling at you and saying hi then you are doing something right ! ! ! :)

Made enough to buy the sprocket I wanted too ! :)

On the down side my right foot is sore from stomping all the cans ! :)

Last edited:

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Although it needs a motor , this was an entry in a design competition for an urban cycle for the homeless . The front section is detachable to be an independent unit . The front wheel for the bicycle is stored like a continental kit on the back until needed . The front section holds a tent and two large recycling bins for can collecting . ...... D.J.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome to read MotorBiker. Yeah, the smiles and waves are a really great part of our lil crazy. I live in a very conservative area of the rather conservative New England. I could have lived in this town for 20 yrs and not gotten to chat with half the people I talk to in a summer on a MB. Just part of the fun.

D.J., I was just the other day looking for the link to that. Be a perfect work bike and great for can collection. I had wanted to build a MB camper along those lines. Like a pop-up camper trailer Ya got me thinking a front wheel drive set up.

Hmmm, hot dog cart??? (this is why I never get any thing done. Too many really great projects to try)
.flg.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Interesting timing in that for the past several days I have been crushing beer cans here where I work as a caretaker in the winter months. I have no idea how many cans I've crushed, but it is a lot, many years accumulation at a place where people like their beer. That includes me, of course. In a couple more days I'll take them in to the re cycler and will be interested to know how many pounds it comes to.
Now I'm thinking about converting an old bike trailer frame to something with a tubular frame coming up to hold a plastic trash bag upright and open or maybe a plastic trash can. Armed with a broom handle with a nail in the end as a can sticker/picker upper I should be able to retrieve cans and deposit them in the trailer without getting off the bike. I'm also picturing a section of pcv pipe with a cap at the bottom attached to the side of the trailer at a diagonal to act as a kind of sheath for the can sticker. Something to occupy my mind while crushing cans...
SB

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I hit the jackpot !

There is a place at the interstate exit where people hold signs asking for money.

People give them money and they buy beer and a crack rock and hide and smoke it and drink the beers.

There are 100s of cans down there ! ! !

Be careful though, some have little holes in them and have been used for crack pipes.

I leave those.
Don't accidentally get your hand or anything into a needle!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh, great point (no pun intended) Goat. And the normal stuff like Tetanus.

Top one is semi-auto. Be kinda cool to have one mounted on the trailer. beer can cruser - Google Search

SB, I was thinking a laundry bag net that held a garbage bag on a rack sort of deal. No weight and with a hoop at the top, would make for easy loading. Just a thunk

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh, great point (no pun intended) Goat. And the normal stuff like Tetanus.

Top one is semi-auto. Be kinda cool to have one mounted on the trailer. beer can cruser - Google Search

SB, I was thinking a laundry bag net that held a garbage bag on a rack sort of deal. No weight and with a hoop at the top, would make for easy loading. Just a thunk
Yeah, something like that. Then I was wondering if wind would maybe take the bag away and thought perhaps a plastic trash can would be better... heavier though. On the other hand, that's why we have motors.
SB

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Years ago an electrician friend had a pole building shop with an office in the corner. Got kind of carried away with it....ended up with two floors, a full basement, a hot tub, and......my pneumatic can crusher. Not practical for on a bike, but that baby would crush some cans. Think I got paid in beer for that one. :>)