Do I need my cover

GoldenMotor.com

Zebo

Oct 10, 2009
AZ
Bought a 2-stroke I think its called a star fire on craigslist but the cover on the right side is missing. Can I run my motor without this cover? Will it damage the motor in any way?

Also, I am trying to mount the gas tank, its a Huffy Cranbrook but the little valve on the tank hits the frame. The only way I can mount it is to turn the tank to the side, but this dont look good. How are you guys mounting your tanks on this bike?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You can buy clutch covers from almost any of the vendors on the sides of the page.

I have a cranny and I have no problem with the petcock hitting the frame.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
No running without the cover will not damage the motor, but you may want to install one to keep water and stuff away from the clutch.

I have heard of problems with mounting the tank on a Cranbrook. Some tanks are just a little different that the valve will hit the frame. Try moving your tank all they way forward, if that don't give you the clearance there are different petcocks that you can replace it with.

On one cranny I helped put together we had this problem, I went to ace and purchased a 45*brass fitting for the tank and a in-line fuel valve.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
2 rubber washers and a normal metal washer is what I put on my Cranbrook to get the petcock to line up so it was not facing down when I tightened it.

I had to turn my tank sideways to get it screwed in though , then I just spun it back upright.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I found it a lot easier to mount the petcock on the tank first then mount then tank to the bike.

I can understand having the petcock clocked the wrong way when tight though. I'm pretty sure they don't check which way the threads end up when they weld in the nipple.