Grubee wires dont match

GoldenMotor.com

Rileyk

Jan 25, 2010
SLC UTAH
Hey all, I am wiring up my new grubee, it says to color coordinate, however, there is a green, and orange with red stripe wires coming from kill switch, I want to run norms lights, so does anyone know what I should hook to what? I am thinking red/orange to blue, green to ground, or black.??
thanks

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
It's not a good idea to use the kill switch to ground the blue wire.
The usual wiring would be red/orange to white, green to ground.
(Black=engine ground)

Can't it still be wired this way if you connect lights?

If not, you need a 'normally-closed' pushbutton switch in series with the blue wire, so that when you press it the current to the CDI is interrupted.

... Steve

Rileyk

Jan 25, 2010
SLC UTAH
Thanks, am I going to get the same volts and ohms wired both ways? If I run it to white, like the instructions say, what do I use for the lights? Blue?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I use my white wire for kill switch and to run Normans light

One wire on the kill switch goes to ground, the other to white wire.

On the light the pos goes to white wire, and neg to ground.

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
Some of the kits come with instructions to run the kill switch between the white wire and a frame ground. Mine did, and that's the way I have mine wired. That configuration shorts the magneto instead of the CDI.
As I understand it, the white wire was intended for use as a kill switch, so you're doing it the best way.

However, I understand some of the kits come with instructions to wire the kill switch into the CDI wires. From what I've read, that's the more dependable way to wire the kill switch.
Some kit instructions say a lot of things, but there's absolutely no reason why shorting the blue wire would be a more dependable way of killing the engine. Either the blue or white will work well from that perspective.
The blue winding is higher power and easier to damage by short-circuit.
Also, logic tells me that if it was acceptable to short the blue wire, there wouldn't be a white wire at all.
I've read a lot of posts that suggest putting the kill switch on the blue wire, but in series as I suggested, not shorting to ground.

Really, either way would work with the lights.
I'm still not convinced that it's a good idea to run lights off the white wire.
It will rob some energy from the ignition system.

Rileyk, just saw your latest post - if you must run lights, why can't you still connect the white wire to the kill switch?
Point me in the direction of the thread on 'norm's lights' and I'll check it out.

Thanks, fairracing31, I thought it should be OK.

... Steve

Last edited:

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
i install these motors to supliment my SS.... i've done over 30 of them.
i am the only local source for maintenence and repair...... i have had tto replace several mags that fried from incorperating the white wire. i cut it off short.
ALL of the i do the following...

coil/mag wires black to black - blue to blue
wire in the green kill switch wire with the blue and the color striped wire to the black set.
i have never had to 'repair' this configuration.

stay dry
gubba

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try this: See Diagram Below.
And pay no attention to the wire colors from the kill switch. Its just a normally open set of contacts that connects the two wires coming from it when you press the button. I'm not a fan of using the white wire to kill the engine. Just splice into the two wires from the CDI and you're done.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited: