Odd problem with new 4G

GoldenMotor.com

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
This is the way my 4G arrived today. In looking at the parts diagram this snap ring is suppose to be on inside the cam housing. I have another 4G on my bike and you can clearly see it inside the housing at the very end.

I figure I'm going to call the supplier to replace the unit unless it's not to much work to pull things apart and install it.

Any one pulled a 4G apart to know?

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Wow the quality control is at its best over there! Sorry about your 4g ..it sticks when you wait and get something like that. Pretty easy fix.If you have a Harbor Freight they sell a sell of clip pliers with 3 different heads.Pick the one you need and when you dqueeeze them they will open up the clip
Opposite of noal pliers...good luck

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
The snap clip won't fit in even with clip pliers because there is no room and nothing will move. Does the whole cam assembly needs to be pulled to get the clip in.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The snap clip won't fit in even with clip pliers because there is no room and nothing will move.
Does the whole cam assembly needs to be pulled to get the clip in.
This is the shaft assembly inside the cam assembly.

One of your bearings is not pressed all the way to the fatter center part, or the shaft assembly is not pressed in to the stop in the cam assembly where the pulley is.

Yes the whole assembly comes apart easy out the sprocket side if you have a bearing press.

I changed out the standard output shaft in two 4G's with 2 of my designs.

The first shaft is a bit longer and keyed it's entire length so you can put the output sprocket anywhere you want.
The 2015 Grube 10G's will have this standard.

The other is a 110mm long shaft for direct jackshafting.

Your bearing is just not pressed in far enough to get the clip on.

It is best to take the cam assembly out but to do it but you have to take the 100T off, and to do that you need to take the 20T as that pulley can slide off with the belt on it, the 100T can't.

This is a pain in the butt but you might be able to fix it in place.

Take the sprocket off.

Brace the base (not the pulley) and with a piece of wood on the end of the shaft give a couple good whacks to make sure the pulley side bearing is seat against the cam assembly.

If the sprocket side bearing didn't follow in...

Get a washer or heavy chunk of steel as wide or wider than the bearing with a hole for the shaft to go though.

With a long socket for even pressure you can press (or hammer) the bearing the rest of the way in and clip it.

You need to press BOTH edges of the bearing, not just the inside or outside or you'll compromise the bearing.

DO NOT use the pulley as leverage, hold just the base as that pulley can bend pretty easy!

Last edited:

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
Think I fixed it? I gave a good tapped on the output sprocket nut against the anvil and the shaft moved enough to expose the slot for the snap clip so I took off to Harbor Freight and pick up some snap pliers and got the clip installed.

I believe I have the clip in as far as it will go. I tried to put a mirror on the one on my bike but I can't see all around it? There is more of the clip showing at the opposite end of the eyelets but I believe the clip is wider at that end.

Attachments

Last edited:

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
Thank you for all the detail KC,

To move the cam assembly I didn't hit the 12 tooth sprocket nut very hard, just a solid tap. But since I got the snap ring back in I wonder if I should have just left it alone and returned it and got a new G4.

Is the snap ring normally put in after the cam assembly is put in the housing? My concern is I might have messed up the bearings getting the snap ring in or the snap ring will pop out again some how.

Here's another picture of the snap ring installed.

Attachments

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thank you for all the detail KC,

To move the cam assembly I didn't hit the 12 tooth sprocket nut very hard, just a solid tap. But since I got the snap ring back in I wonder if I should have just left it alone and returned it and got a new G4.
Naw, if the shaft spins free you're good.
Have fun ;-}