4 Stroke information

GoldenMotor.com

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
I'm thinking of getting a 49cc 4 stroke to replace my 2 stroke, as the 2 stroke needs a new clutch, muffler gasket, and a few other things (Yes, I could replace those easily enough, but I kinda want a 4 stroke) Also, the law prohibits hand operated clutches. So, has anyone replaced the stock shroud with something prettier, or more motorcycle like? I can't bare put something like that on my bike. Also, is it possible to fit an electric start on one?

I'm talking about the basic 49cc kit on a lot of websites

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
On a bicycle, a lot of motorbikers remove the shroud. You can paint the shroud another color and some people just trim the shroud to make it smaller.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
You won't find a 49cc 4-stroke with electric start on it. I've got a 160cc Honda with electric start.....it's awesome.
Well no, but i'm sure I could figure something out. I have access to a 3 speed 110cc with electric start, light hookups etc. but the law says if its more than 50cc its a motorcycle

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Okay perfect, i'd probably do something like that. Is there really a huge benefit to the 4 strokes over the 2 strokes? Because they are quite a bit more, and my 2 stroke has never failed me, even on its 60km journey up north. I have a 4L gas tank on it that I fill at the pump, I just keep a thing of oil on my at all times

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
TakeiT- Well, 4-bangers are awesome. They're four stroke internal combustion engines, I mean... ;) It's my preferred powerplant, but I'm really only an msrfan wannabe. Check out the Briggs builds.
Truth be told, for others I've only built four 4 strokes as compared to five 2 strokes. Price? Time? Who know's why that's what they wanted- but they did.
There are alot of things that you have to weigh out, but if that 2-smoke is performing well, and you've been happy with any repair processes you may have gone through, why switch?

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Well are they built any better? IE the bearings, coils etc. I've had no problems but i'm thinking of using it for my 20k trek to school every day, I don't need to be in the middle of the main road in rush hour not close to anything, screwed