New Build from Bayonne NJ!

GoldenMotor.com

BlueMarlin

Sep 6, 2012
Bayonne, New Jersey
New Genesis Onyx Build from Bayonne NJ!

Hi Everyone!
This is my bikes official debut to the online world, and I owe many people here a big 'thanks' for the advice offered to others building these bikes which I used in building mine. Although I have experience building old cars, this was my first attempt at building a motorized bike. Its a Genesis Onyx which I bought at the end of last summer specifically to motorize with a kit a good friend gave me for Christmas.

Anyway... Its more or less done at this point and wanted to post some pics. I didn't necessarily model it after anything in particular, just shooting for the right look. The frame is stock with the exception of the seat post tube which I cut down by an inch in order to lower the seat and notches were cut in the rear fender for chain clearance. I used very little from the original motor kit besides the motor itself, replacing the levers, kill switch, throttle, chain tensioner, sprocket adapter, gas tank, etc... I added brakes up front along with lights, an Airzounds horn and a 6v generator kit. I replaced the stock pedals, seat & seatpost, chain, grips and kickstand.

The bike runs great and although I've clocked it at 30mph with a gps you'd think you were breaking the sound barrier by the way it behaves by 30mph so I don't usually run it faster than about 20-25mph.

If anyone wants specific info on some of the work done, let me know and I'll be glad to help.
Any input is welcome!

Attachments

Last edited:

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Shes a real beauty! I love the way our 29ers ride.

I have a question though what size sprocket do you have on the rear? I got the standard 44t to bolt up but I bought a 50t and cant get the darned thing to bolt up, even after following the forums recommendation of skipping every 3rd bolt.

Not trying to jack your thread but Id thought Id share my onyx since were on the topic made a few mods since my build thread.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You 29'er guys need to watch those fenders closely just like the WalMart bikes.
Reinforce or remove the fenders before you get hurt.
Nice builds too!

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
I haven't had any problems with the fender mounts on the Onyx cruiser they are quite sturdy I just had to use red thread locker to make sure nothing comes loose. That's one of the things I liked about this bike is that the rods that hold the fenders arn't flimsy flat steel like my old huffy Cranebrook.

Even still checking all the fender mounting hardware is a daily pre-ride check.

Thanks Maniac and hope everyone has a safe week!

BlueMarlin

Sep 6, 2012
Bayonne, New Jersey
Shes a real beauty! I love the way our 29ers ride.

I have a question though what size sprocket do you have on the rear? I got the standard 44t to bolt up but I bought a 50t and cant get the darned thing to bolt up, even after following the forums recommendation of skipping every 3rd bolt.

Not trying to jack your thread but Id thought Id share my onyx since were on the topic made a few mods since my build thread

I never used the original kit sprocket, I read enough posts here early on to steer clear of it. I'm using a Manic Mechanic hub adapter with a 48T sprocket and I think its just perfect for these bikes. Its got super low end. I can take off from nearly a dead stop and sail up hills. While the motor develops a vibration around 28mph, I can't imagine pushing the bike any faster than that anyway since I don't think the wheels can handle it.
Speaking of which, I was concerned about the rear hub binding when I really started riding it and contacted Kent about it before any warranty expired. I had to email them a proof of purchase but within a couple of weeks I got a free replacement rear wheel assembly from them delivered to my door. I thought customer service was actually really very courteous, and despite what I had read here they do stock parts for these.

Last edited: