BGF 80 series vs Jet 80 series...

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I believe I have my motor choices narrowed down to theses to power plants from either BGF or a Jet from pistonbikes.com.

I'm trying to weigh out a few pros and cons from each vendor/kit and was hoping to get a bit of feedback from everyone.

First off my overall plans and mods for the motor will include an intial tear down and port/polish job of motor/intake/exhaust, SBP expansion chamber, a Puch 50cc hi compression head, better plug, and a few other random things. The kit will be going into a Cranny frame.

Now there are a few things with the BGK kit (X80) that are appealing to my build and some not so much.
POSITIVES:
-$169 to my door
-Slant head (really doesn't matter if I go with the Puch)
-NT carb
-"Large" frame mount
-great reliability reviews on this site
-fast shipping.

NEGATIVES:
-Seem to be notorious for untapped heads which would make the Puch install tougher
-Very little warranty time

The Jet 80 RACE Angle Fire from Piston also has some good and bad.

POSITIVE:
-Great customer service according to you guys!
-No issues with head tapping that I've seen
-Also has large frame adapter
-Reputable site/business. Not just Ebay seller.
-Angle Fire head (Again doesn't matter if I go with Puch)

NEGATIVE:
-No warranty support that I can find
-Around $50 more to my door over BGF
-Shipping time is unknown

So these are some of the things I'm trying to weigh out before I purchase a kit. Originally, the Grubee Super Rat was what I planned on going with. Could still be an option, but seems a bit too new for actual user input on how they perform. Are there other things that I'm missing and should consider with these kits or another option I'm missing that would work best for my plans? I'd love to order from Pirate as they're East Coast, but nothing available at the moment.

I know this type of question has probably been answered a ton on times. I've been scouring the site for the past week trying to learn and gather as much info as I can. Sometimes it just helps to put out specifics to the people who know and have experience!

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Well, since you are going to tear down the engine when you get it, I think that would negate any warranty claims that you might want to make.

I don't know what you mean by 'untapped heads'

Since you are going to tear down the engine, you can always chase all of the threads in the engine with a tap & die set.

Having built several MBs all with BGF, and never a problem, I would go with BGF.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Hhhmmm, never thought of the voided warranty issue once you crack the case...makes sense.

Here's part of a post I read speaking of the thread issues:
"I HAD to tap the head studs on the Z80 BGF motor I got. The head studs would not thread into the stock M8 holes, they were just *slightly* undersized and the SBP stud would not go in.

Another thing about the badly tapped holes, you can screw the head stud in all the way but because it doesn't bottom the acorn nut will bottom it's threads and then you get false torque readings and head gasket leaks or pulled out head studs. " - DaveC

I was leaning towards the BGF to save some dime to put into more reliable and better performing parts straight from the get-go.

What BGF kit are you running? X80, Z80, other?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I use the Z80-Pull model (comes with pull-start).
That post you mentioned has to do with installing aftermarket engine studs from Sick Bike Parts (SBP).
I did find that the threads do not go all the way to the bottom in blind holes in the block, but if you chase them with a tap, you can easily cut threads to the bottom of the holes.
If you retain all original components and chase the threads, everything will be OK

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Right on! Makes since. I was wondering if it would effect the installation on the Puch head down the road. Guess we'll find out!

How do you like the pull start vs. pedal?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I use the pull start because it allows me to start the engine in the driveway and allow it to warm up a little bit before riding.
It also useful when you do some work on the engine, and need a quick way to start it up to do testing.