switching from satellite to HD antenna

GoldenMotor.com

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I am getting ready to change from satellite to HD antenna . Has any one else done this ? Is there an way to hook my computer up to my HD television ? If so , and you can help me find the correct cables to do that ; I would really appreciate it . I am trying to keep my internet. and I will buy and download an movie at Amazon or netflix or something every now and then. Thanks

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
well the plug for connecting tv to computer id hdmi i think theyaint cheap for quality but thay do the job also i have netflix and it is awesome i havent had cable in two years and dont miss it when i went to vist my sister i couldnt find anything interesting on cable netflix is by far the way to go thousands of movies available for instant streaming and if they dont have it available they will shipp it to you

i would suggest getting a roku instant streaming device so you dont have to boot up your computer all the time mine cost a hundred bucks but has been working fine for at least two years now its faster than booting up the computer and loading website then picking ut movie to watch and finally streaming it it simply loads content then movie when my internet is running fast it takes under a two minutes to boot box and load movie

it takes more time to find a movie to watch than to load it but then agin i am running a ethernet directly from router casue i dont trudt wireless internet for reliabilty

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I tried building my own HD antenna out of coat hangers and wire. I didn't get any HD channels, but my buddy said he tried it and got lots of them, so I guess it really depends on where you live.

To watch TV on a PC you need a TV tuner card. They can usually be had for $50-$100 and will let you connect the coax cable directly to your computer!

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
well the plug for connecting tv to computer id hdmi i think theyaint cheap for quality but thay do the job also i have netflix and it is awesome i havent had cable in two years and dont miss it when i went to vist my sister i couldnt find anything interesting on cable netflix is by far the way to go thousands of movies available for instant streaming and if they dont have it available they will shipp it to you

i would suggest getting a roku instant streaming device so you dont have to boot up your computer all the time mine cost a hundred bucks but has been working fine for at least two years now its faster than booting up the computer and loading website then picking ut movie to watch and finally streaming it it simply loads content then movie when my internet is running fast it takes under a two minutes to boot box and load movie

it takes more time to find a movie to watch than to load it but then agin i am running a ethernet directly from router casue i dont trudt wireless internet for reliabilty
thanks for the reply ,,, i was seeing on my television screen all the time the following message ---> cut to the chase ---> we are trying to buy the local chanells because HD television waves are free ,,, our days are numbered !! ,, ..... / I have been doing some reasearch on this box too alaska ... VideoSecu VGA2TV PC Laptop Mac Computer to TV Presentation Converter VGA to RCA /VGA to Video S-Video 1L7 ....... it dont cost but 19.00 bucks ....,, P.S. I have an external sound card I bought for 19.00 bucks with scipe ready .... LOVE IT!!

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Here's my setup

Amazon.com: wd tv live

directly connected to my lan (you can go wireless bu I hear the quality really suffers)

which in turn connects through my PC running | PlayOn | Watch Hulu, CBS.com, MLB.tv, Netflix, and more on your TV with PlayOn! in the background which lets me watch anything on HULU, Netflix (if I had an account) and Amazon movies.

I also have a Amazon.com: 5 Port HDMI Switch with Remote: Electronics since my TV only has two HDMI ports.

I watch Fox shows on Hulu all the time since Comcast On Demand doesn't have Fox or NBC shows but Hulu does.

I also have a WD external terabyte drive connected directly to my WD TVlive which has every movie I own ripped onto it.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
yup any devises designed to stream videos do the trick i love technology i just hate learning to implement it
Implement it and actually using it...

I am in the computer biz, I made a PC based entertainment systems before it was 'hip', but when it comes down to mine it is only a REAL TiVo box for me, period.

I am on COX cable now and bought the cable box but I was turned onto TiVo from DirectTV.

Besides the Linux/ SATA HD based networked box itself and it's perfect remote, dual tuners, 'Season Pass' manager and several choices to direct DL content like Netflicks or Red Box direct to the box for cheap, it is also just another box on my network.

TiVo also has 'TiVo desktop' for free DL to your PC's and it makes any networked PC just another source of content and a way to share the box with your content, program your 'to do' list and season pass manager, and so much more back and forth between any box and the Internet like streaming video, music, U-tube videos, etc. to any PC from it, to it, or from any other box for display on anything, it's pretty cool.

The box was ~$120 (before I dropped another 500MB fast SATA drive on it myself) , monthly cable is ~$50 and it's $12 a month for the TiVo service.

I have been using TiVo for like 12 years now and like having at least dual monitors for my PC or never using a drive chain tensioner unless it is simply unavoidable.
I can't do without my Real TiVo, and there is always something I want to watch just waiting for me from the perfect remote ;-}

This economy is killing me so all I do for entertainment is TV so that makes a difference.
I guess it all comes to down to what you watch, and the time you have to watch it.

These are a few of the shows I have set in my Season Pass manger to get only first runs on whatever channel or time it happens to come on so I don't get re-runs.

Breaking Bad
Burn Notice
Bones
CBS Sunday Morning
Chase
(the) Closer
Cold Case
Craig Fergison (Late Late Show)
CSI
Eureka
(the) Event
Fox News (just my local morning news for an hour every weekday)
Fringe
House
In Plain Sight
Jon Stewart (The Daily Show)
Law and Order
Leverage
Lie to Me
Medium
(the) Mentalist
Royal Pains
Rubicon
Stargate Universe
Warehouse

That is just nightly/weekly shows on cable of course, but that alone keeps me entertained and all the new episodes are starting to come out now that Fall is here.

Just my take on it guys.
Being able to record two channels at the same time while still watching anything saved with FF on any other box and the TV at the same time is pretty darn awesome, and ya, for me some things are 'bottom acceptable' no matter how broke I am.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
It's kind of expensive right now but I'm keeping my eye on the Logitech Revue.

Cool thing is if you have an iPhone or an Android phone you can get an app to turn your phone into another remote.

BTW KCvale, other then the new shows that'd be my list too. laff

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
stargate universe is ok i enjoy the direction but stargate sg1 is definetly the best atlantis as ok

i recently noticed netflix upgraded there instant que to include stagate sg1 atlantis and universe i spent the last few weeks watching all ten seasons of sg1 and now im taking a break for some battlestar galactica

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
oh i had a dvr box with cable and when i did i never watched a commercail unless i forgot i could fast forward i assume thats what a tivo does

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Implement it and actually using it...

I am in the computer biz, I made a PC based entertainment systems before it was 'hip', but when it comes down to mine it is only a REAL TiVo box for me, period.

I am on COX cable now and bought the cable box but I was turned onto TiVo from DirectTV.

Besides the Linux/ SATA HD based networked box itself and it's perfect remote, dual tuners, 'Season Pass' manager and several choices to direct DL content like Netflicks or Red Box direct to the box for cheap, it is also just another box on my network.

TiVo also has 'TiVo desktop' for free DL to your PC's and it makes any networked PC just another source of content and a way to share the box with your content, program your 'to do' list and season pass manager, and so much more back and forth between any box and the Internet like streaming video, music, U-tube videos, etc. to any PC from it, to it, or from any other box for display on anything, it's pretty cool.

The box was ~$120 (before I dropped another 500MB fast SATA drive on it myself) , monthly cable is ~$50 and it's $12 a month for the TiVo service.

I have been using TiVo for like 12 years now and like having at least dual monitors for my PC or never using a drive chain tensioner unless it is simply unavoidable.
I can't do without my Real TiVo, and there is always something I want to watch just waiting for me from the perfect remote ;-}

This economy is killing me so all I do for entertainment is TV so that makes a difference.
I guess it all comes to down to what you watch, and the time you have to watch it.

These are a few of the shows I have set in my Season Pass manger to get only first runs on whatever channel or time it happens to come on so I don't get re-runs.

Breaking Bad
Burn Notice
Bones
CBS Sunday Morning
Chase
(the) Closer
Cold Case
Craig Fergison (Late Late Show)
CSI
Eureka
(the) Event
Fox News (just my local morning news for an hour every weekday)
Fringe
House
In Plain Sight
Jon Stewart (The Daily Show)
Law and Order
Leverage
Lie to Me
Medium
(the) Mentalist
Royal Pains
Rubicon
Stargate Universe
Warehouse

That is just nightly/weekly shows on cable of course, but that alone keeps me entertained and all the new episodes are starting to come out now that Fall is here.

Just my take on it guys.
Being able to record two channels at the same time while still watching anything saved with FF on any other box and the TV at the same time is pretty darn awesome, and ya, for me some things are 'bottom acceptable' no matter how broke I am.
What, no "Terriers"? This show is filmed here in town....git with the program! Wednesday nights at 10PM PT on CH.52 FX.dance1

No "Sons of Anarchy"......I thought you liked bikes??? rotfl

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Boy, do I live in another world... on a far planet in a distance galaxy called northeastern Minnesota, Superior National Forest. Back when I could use an antenna I got one station from a hundred miles east in Duluth. With the new and improved digital I didn't get anything even with the digital converter or a digital TV . Took about a week to get used to no TV. I don't miss it. I do have satellite for internet which I share with my brother when he's here from his cabin via wireless (I live a bit away from his place in a 1957 Spartan Aircraft trailer). Through this little laptop I read the newspaper (New York Times), watch Keith Olberman sometimes, read posts from my lightning survivors yahoo group, look things up I'm curious to know about and come here to see what my friends are building and riding. If I get an itch to watch a movie, not much of an itch, I check them out at the library, and better are books. Sitting near the wood stove with Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog curled up next to me, snow falling outside the window, a cup of coffee and a good book... that's living. And in better weather I ride my motorbikes through the forest, bathe and swim in the nearby lake and make things with my brain and hands. Making things is really my entertainment, of much greater interest that books or movies. I can enjoy an evening rebuilding a vintage bicycle seat, stitching up a gas tank cover, making custom hand grips or copper and glass jewel lights, same with a rainy day. In cold weather there is usually a current bike project sitting in the little living room for me to stare at and tinker with. I guess the current bike project is my home entertainment center. As I think about it, I'm not much plugged in to the electronic world and don't much want to be. I spend too much time on this little machine as it is. I don't have the time or energy for both worlds, so this is the one that I can afford and which fits me. I'm not criticizing or saying one is better than another, just saying that if the screen went blank it wouldn't be the end of the world, unless that's the reason the screen went blank.
SB