Disk brakes

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I know the answer but have to verify anyway. There is no adapter to put on a hub for mounting the disk so I guess one either has to get a hub and lace a wheel front or rear or get a doner bike with the wheels already on,,,,,correct? Putting an adaptor on the fork, no problem. So now that I have shown my you know what, I will be peeking back for a answer. Thanks guys. gphil

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've often wondered why someone doesn't make a clam-shell type of hub adapter for front disc similiar to the clamp-on sprocket adapters for the rear wheel. Doesn't look like such a big deal to me. Has anyone ever seem anything like that?
I replaced the rims on one of my Jaguars with some double wall heavy duty rims but the provocation was they were on a close-out sale and I got them for 1/2 price. They came with the disc brake hubs. I fabricated a caliper mount for the front fork. I used the rear hub for a home made sprocket adapter. No room for a rotor so I rely on the original rim brakes in back.
Tom

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Probably because you would surely break all of the spokes by putting that much force on them with a disc brake. Braking exerts far more force than accelerating and couple that with being applied to only half of the spokes, it's sure to fail. The mount needs to be more rigid.

But there actually is an adapter to put a disc on a non-disc hub:
http://www.firstprinciples.ca/products.html

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Probably because you would surely break all of the spokes by putting that much force on them with a disc brake. Braking exerts far more force than accelerating and couple that with being applied to only half of the spokes, it's sure to fail. The mount needs to be more rigid.

But there actually is an adapter to put a disc on a non-disc hub:
http://www.firstprinciples.ca/products.html
Who said anything about mounting to the spokes?
What I was suggesting was a clamp on adapter that would mount to the front wheel hub. The spokes wouldn't be in play. The clam-shell adapter and hub would be the only parts subjected to braking force.
The device you linked requires respoking/relacing the wheel.

Tom

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Agree Tom, I raised eyebrows upon thinking of the pressure applied to a rag joint because of the sokes. I have laced wheels and no expert but they are touchy. But then why not a rag joint with a disk mounted on it? Ok going to go read the site you sent . Have fun guys. gphil

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I guess sudden application on one side of the spokes would be stressful. I stopped hammering equipment when replacing woodruff axel keys in my 40 became a chore from dragging. To be young again . Anyway saw no prices on those adaptors but bet costly.

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
My front disc brake is an IRD. I have been having trouble adjusting it with the cable. I took the wheel off and measured the distance between the stationary arm and the actuating arm in the relaxed position. It was roughly 2” then I squeezed the arms together until it braked and measured that. It was roughly 3/8”. That seems like a lot of travel before it gets down to the business of braking.
The bike does not have that many miles on the new brake so I doubt that it needs caliper pads. I saw something that said adjust near the allen screw In the middle of the calipers. I know very little about this brake so any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks Jim

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
OG,

might get a better response if you make a new post in Wheel, Brake and Suspension since your problem doesn't relate to the OP.

My 2 cents,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
BigBlue,
Thanks for the quick heads up. I went to FAQ's to see how to start a new thread. It told me to just hit the new thread button. Problem is I don't see any stinking new thread button. What to do, what to do?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go to the section heading "Wheels, Brakes & Suspension" Don't click on any one thread but look at the top left hand side of the page. You'll see "Start New Thread". Click on that and you'll have a blank area to post in. Give it a title, Example: "Cable adjustment, rim brakes" and then post your problem.

Tom